Category Archives: Kilkenny

Conahy Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Conahy,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

According to Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837) Conahy is part of the parish of “GRANGECLOVAN, or GRANGELORAN, a parish, in the barony of FASSADINING,county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. W.) from Ballyragget, on the river Nore; containing 949 inhabitants, and comprising 5611 ½ statute acres.”

Also, “In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Conahy, which includes this parish and Maine, and part of the parishes of Kilmocar, Coolcraheen, Three Castles, and Burnchurch; and has a chapel at Conahy.”

These photographs were taken June 2014

 

 

Castlecomer Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Castlecomer,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, (1837) tells us “CASTLECOMER, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 9 ½ miles (N.) from Kilkenny, and 46 (S. W.) from Dublin; containing 13,242 inhabitants, of which number, 2436 are in the town. ”

Also, “In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the three several unions or districts of Castlecomer, Clough, and Muckalee, the first of which comprises about one-half of it: there are four chapels belonging to these unions, one of which is in the town.”

These photographs were taken June 2014.

Ballyouskill Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Ballyouskill,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

According to Lewis (1837) Ballyouskill is in the civil parish of Ballyragget or Donaghmore the town of which is just a few miles down the road.  Ballyouskill is in Co. Kilkenny, but it lies on the edge of Kilkenny, beside Co. Laois (Queen’s Co.), a few miles from Durrow town.

These photographs were taken June 2014.

It should be noted that locals pronounce the name of this place as Bally’wes’kill

St. Lachtain’s Church of Ireland, Freshford, Co. Kilkenny

St Lachtain Church of Ireland,
Freshford,
Co; Kilkenny,
Ireland.

A 1730 rebuilding, incorporates the 12th century romanesques doorway

St. Bridget’s Church, Aharney, Co. Kilkenny & Co. Laois (Queen’s Co.)

St, Bridget’s,
Aharney
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Another one of these spread through two counties parishes

Lewis Topographical Dictionary tells us “AHARNEY, or AGHARNEY, also called LISDOWNEY, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN’S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and in the province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Durrow, on the road to Kilkenny; containing 2156 inhabitants.”

Also “ In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a district, called the union of Lisdowney, comprising the parishes of Aharney, Sheffin, Balleen, Coolcashin, and parts of Rathbeagh and Grange, and containing three chapels;”

These photographs were taken May 2014

Freshford Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Freshford,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “FRESHFORD, or AGHOURA, a post-town and parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 ½ miles (W. N. W.) , from Kilkenny, and 63 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Kilkenny to Johnstown; containing 2277 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Aghoure or Achadhur, signifying the “green ford,” “

Also, “In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Freshford, Tullaroan, Ballynamara, Clashacrow, Ballylarkin, and parts of Odogh, Burnchurch, and Clomanto, in which district is a chapel at Freshford, one at Odogh, and one at Tullaroan.”

These photographs were taken May 2014.

Freshford Public Graveyard Gravestone Photographs

Ballylarkin Church, Co. Kilkenny

Balylarkin Church
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

These photographs were taken May 2014. There is no graveyard around this church.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “BALLYLARKIN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (S. W.) from Freshford; containing 243 inhabitants. ”
and that “In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford.”

However, these are the remains of Ballylarkin Church (aka Ballylarkin Abbey). There are Castle remnants across the road.

I have left one photo with Janet in it to give you an idea of the height of these remnants.

 

Ireland Church Index

Here you will find photographs, summaries, locations, and historical notes on each of the hyperlinked churches below as part of From-Ireland.net’s Ireland Church Index.

Co. Carlow

Co. Cork

Co. Dublin

Co. Kildare

Co. Kilkenny

Co. Laois

Co. Offaly (King’s Co.)

Co. Tipperary

Other

Tullaroan Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Tullaroan,
Kilkenny,
Ireland.

This photograph was taken July 2007.

Roman Catholic Church, Tullaroan, Kilkenny, Ireland

Roman Catholic Church, Tullaroan, Kilkenny, Ireland

Smithstown Church, Co. Kilkenny

Church,
Smithstown,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

These photographs were taken Dec 2007.

Smithstown Gravestone Photographs