Category Archives: Kilkenny

Stoneyford Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Stoneyford,
Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) tells us “STONEYFORD, a village, partly in the parish of ENNISNAG, barony of SHILLELOGHER, but chiefly in that of CHURCH-JERPOINT, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Waterford; containing 74 houses and 445 inhabitants. It is a chief station of the constabulary police, and has a penny post to Thomastown.”

These photographs were taken Nov, 2006.

Stoneyford Gravestone Photographs

Rosconnell Church, Co. Kilkenny

Church,
Rosconnell,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) tells us ”

ROSCONNELL, a parish, partly in the barony of FASSADINING, county of KILKENNY, but chiefly in that of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN’S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (S. by W.) from Ballynakill, on the road to Durrow; containing 795 inhabitants, …”

Also, “In the R. Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyragget.”

These photographs were taken Dec, 2007.

 

Rosconnell Graveyard Photographs

Tulla Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Tulla Roman Catholic Church, Kilkenny, Ireland.

Tulla Roman Catholic Church, Kilkenny, Ireland.

St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church,
Tulla,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

This photo was taken Aug 2008.

Urlingford Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Urlingford,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

This photo was taken Nov 2006.

Roman Catholic Church, Urlingford, Kilkenny, Ireland

Roman Catholic Church, Urlingford, Kilkenny, Ireland

Tullaroan Old, Co. Kilkenny

Old Tullaroan,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “TULLAROAN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (N. W.) from Kilkenny; containing 3650 inhabitants, of which number 182 are in the village.”

Also “In the R. C. (Roman Catholic) divisions it is part of the union or district of Freshford: the chapel is on the townland of Brith.”

This photograph was taken Nov 2006.  I couldn’t get into the graveyard to take any other photographs because it was all locked up.

Tullaroan OLD, Kilkenny, Ireland

Tullaroan OLD, Kilkenny, Ireland

May 2014 I returned to this graveyard with Janet Maher and took more photographs.

The Mill, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny

The Mill,
Urlingford,
Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Of Urlingford, Lewis Topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “URLINGFORD, a parish, in the barony of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (S.) from Johnstown, to which it has a penny post; on the road from Kilkenny to Thurles, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by Cashel; containing 2492 inhabitants, of which number, 1366 are in the village, which consists of a main street with a few offsets diverging from it, and contains 256 houses, mostly of inferior appearance.”

Also “In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Tubrid-Britain, with parts of those of Burnchurch and Clomanto, in which union are two chapels; that of Urlingford is a very neat building. “

These photographs were taken Nov. 2006.

Mill Cemetery Graveyard photographs

Gathabaun Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Gathabaun (Gattaban),
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

This photograph was taken Nov 2006.

Roman Catholic Church, Gathabaun, Kilkenny, Ireland

Roman Catholic Church, Gathabaun, Kilkenny, Ireland

St. Canice Roman Catholic Church, Kilkenny City

St. Canice’s Roman Catholic Church,
Kilkenny City,
Ireland.

These photographs were taken Aug 2008.

Knocktopher Roman Catholic Church, Co. Kilkenny

Roman Catholic Church,
Knocktopher,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

This photograph was taken Nov 2006.

Roman Catholic Church, Knocktopher , Kilkenny, Ireland

Roman Catholic Church, Knocktopher , Kilkenny, Ireland

Knocktopher Gravestone Photographs

Knocktopher Church of Ireland, Co. Kilkenny

Church of Ireland,
Knocktopher,
Co. Kilkenny,
Ireland.

Lewis topographical Dictionary (1837) tells us “KNOCKTOPHER, a town and parish (formerly a parliamentary borough), in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 10 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Waterford; containing 1518 inhabitants, of which number, 475 are in the town.”

Also “The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act, of council, in 1676, to the rectories and vicarages of Kilneddy, Aughaviller, Kiltorkin, Dernahensy, Kilkeril, Kilkeasy, and Donemagan, together forming the union of Knocktopher, in the patronage of the Bishop.”

These photographs were taken Nov 2006.