Category Archives: Armagh

Armagh Civil Parishes

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
17Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

County Armagh

Civil Parish list

Civil Parish Armagh – I wonder, how many know the names of each civil parish in Co. Armagh?  Here is a list of names.  Please remember some of these spellings are not exactly as they are now.

‘Search Page’  the IrlAtlas Townland Search form.

The web page to which you are being directed above is hosted by the Leitrim Roscommon Genealogy web site.  The book from which the list of placenames was created was based on the townlands listed in the Irish 1851 census and a man who we all knew as John Broderick a.k.a. Sean Ruad (R.I.P.) was responsible for having the whole book typed up by helpful individuals over a number of years.  This book the ‘General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes & Baronies of Ireland’, which was printed by Alexander Thom & Co. of Dublin, gives you the size of a townland, the barony that the townland was in, the name of the civil parish, and the name of the Poor Law Union.  If you see a civil parish name here and you are interested in the townlands in that civil parish, then please go to the search page, put in the name of the civil parish and the county and you will be given a list of the names of townlands in that parish in 1851.  Please note, townland spellings may have changed, some of the townlands may have disappeared.

The ‘civil’ parish and the Roman Catholic parish are NOT the same group of townlands They are separate entities in relation to genealogical research.  Catholics can or could live in one civil parish and be members of a relgious parish with a different name.  Please consult the list of Roman Catholic parishes of Co. Armagh if you have Catholic ancestry.

A second web site that you could visit it the Ordnance Survey of Ireland which according to users has “quite advanced mapping tools and the link redirects to an historical layering, as over time, boundaries for the various borders for administrative divisions have changed. The site is especially useful when cross referencing with historical documents.”

Historical Mapping Ordnance Survey of Ireland

Armagh Civil Parish
Armagh
Ballymore
Ballymyre
Clonfeakle
Creggan
Derrynoose
Drumcree
Eglish
Forkhill
Grange
Jonesborough
Keady
Kilclooney
Kildarton
Killevy
Killyman
Kilmore
Lisnadill
Loughgall
Loughgilly
Magheralin
Montiaghs
Mullaghbrack
Newry
Newtownhamilton
Seagoe
Shankill
Tartaraghan
Tynan
Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
17Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Books About Co. Armagh

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

The following are a list of book titles relating to Co. Antrim. The topics are varied: history, heritage, geology, language and some tourist guides. Some of these may be easily obtainable, some are rare and out of print. Some are books and some pamphlets.

You can never find a book if you do not have a title to work with, once you have a title then you can search through on-line library catalogues or make an enquiry of your local library as to whether they partake in inter-library loan and if they can obtain a copy of a book for you from some other library. You can watch the item lists of auction houses, or those on inter-net auction sites. You can also contact book-sellers to find if they have a copy of the book should you be interested in purchasing it.

This list is arranged alphabetically by author. For the most part the publisher and year of publication are also included. You can use your browser to search for a particular word or you can read through the list. It is hoped to add to this list of books from time to time.

For these entries the highlighted name is usually the author, then, the name of the book. Followed by theh place of publication and sometimes the publisher, then the year of publication.

Allison, Herbert Thackwray, 1854-1947. – The way we were : historic Armagh photographs from the Allison Collection /. Belfast:Friar’s Bush, in association with the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland,1993
Along the black pig’s dyke : folklore from Monaghan and south Armagh. – [Castleblayney] : Castleblayney Community Enterprise, 1993
Anderson, Michael. – St Joseph’s Church, Poyntzpass : its parish priests and curates 1788-1996 :. – [Poyntzpass] : The Author, 1996.
Armagh history & society : : interdisciplinary essays on the history of an Irish county / editors: A.J. Hughes and William Nolan. – Dublin : Geography Publications, 2001

Armagh, Ire. (Archdiocese). The records of the Archbishops of Armagh : being an indexed catalogue of manuscripts, documents and books in the Archiepiscopal Registry of Armagh /[comp.] by H. W. Love . – Dundalk : Dundalgan Press, 1965.
Armagh, Ireland, Public Library. – Catalogue of manuscripts in the Public Library of Armagh, 1928 / compiled by. – Dundalk : Printed for the Governors and Guardians by W. Tempest, 1928
Alexander, William, 1824-1911. – Primate Alexander, Archbishop of Armagh : a memoir / edited by Eleanor Alexa. – London : Arnold, 1913
Arnold, R. M.. – The golden years of the Great Northern Railway. – Part 2: Newry, Armagh and. – Belfast : Blackstaff Press, 1980.
Asthore. The bard of Armagh. For auld lang syne. The Irish emigrant. Over th. – Dublin : J. Arigho & Sons, Christchurch Place and Kilmainham
Atkinson, Edward D. Dromore, an Ulster Diocese. Dundalk, 1925

Bassett, George Henry. – County Armagh 100 years ago : a guide and directory 1888. – Belfast : Friars Bush, 1989
Bell, Brian J., Rev. A History of Garmany’s Grove Presbyterian Church. Armagh, 1970
Book of County Armagh.County Armagh 100 years ago :a guide and directory 1888

Canavan, T. Frontier Town: an illustrated History of Newry. Belfast, Blackstaff Press
Catalogue of the fine, extensive and valuable library of the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Gosford K.P. : (removed from Gosford Castle, Armagh, Ireland) […] to be sold by auction by Messrs. Puttick and Simpson […]
[London:G. Norman and son, printers,1884]
Catholic Church, Archdiocese of Armagh, Archbishop (1361-1380 : Milo Sweteman). – The register of Milo Sweteman Archbishop of Armagh, 1361-1380 / edited by Br. – Dublin : Irish Manuscripts Com.. Dublin:Irish Manuscripts Commission,1996
Coote, Sir, Charles, 1765-1857. – Statistical survey of the county of Armagh, with observations on the means of improvement :drawn up in the years 1802, and 1803, for the consideration, and under the direction of the Dublin society /By Sir Charles Coote, bart- Dublin : Printed by Graisberry and Campbell, 1804
Cosgrove, Art. – The Armagh registers : an under-explored source for late medieval Ireland /.
Currie, J. R. L. (James Russell Leslie). – The runaway train : Armagh (1889). – Newton Abbot : David and Charles, 1971
Cullen, Paul, 1803-1878. – Pastoral letter to the Catholic clergy and laity of the Archdiocess of Armagh /by the Most Rev. Paul Cullen. – Rome : at the Printing Office of the Propaganda, 1850.

De Paor, Liam. – The aggrandisement of Armagh
Doherty, Charles. – The cult of St Patrick and the politics of Armagh in the seventh century / C
Descriptive and historical guide to Dundalk and district : including the northern part of the County of Louth and part of the County of Armagh /compiled by H. G. Tempest Dundalk : Dundalgan Press, 1917
Dix, Ernest Reginald McClintock, 1857-1936. – List of books and pamphlets printed in Armagh in the eighteenth century. – 2nd ed. – Dundrum : Cuala Press, 1910. – (Irish bibliographical pamphlet 2
Dickson, William Steel, 1744-1824. – A narrative of the confinement and exile of William Steel Dickson, D.D. : fo. – Dublin : Printed for the author; by J. Stockdale, 1812.
Donaldson, John. An Historical and Statistical Account of the Barony of Upper Fews.
Dreyer, J. L. E (John Louis Emil), 1852-1926. – An historical account of the Armagh observatory. Armagh : H. Greenwood, Printer, 1883

Galogly, John. The History of St. Patrick’s Parish, Armagh. 1880
Greig, William. – General report on the Gosford Estates in County Armagh 1821. – Belfast : H.M.S.O. (for the) Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 1976.
Gwynn, Aubrey. – The medieval province of Armagh, 1470-1545. Dundalk : W. Tempest, Dundalgan Press, 1946

Hanna, Denis O’D. – The face of Ulster : Antrim, Londonderry, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Monagha. – London; New York : Batsford, 1952. – (The Face of Britain).
Hogan, Edmund, 1831-1917. – Outlines of the grammar of old-Irish, with text and vocabulary
Dublin : the Gaelic League : Sealy, Bryers, and Walker, 1900
Hogg, M.B., Rev. Keady Parish: A Short History of its church and its people. 1928

Jefferies, Henry A.. – Priests and prelates of Armagh in the age of reformations, 1518-1558. – Dublin : Four Courts Press, 1997

Keenan, Padraic. – The parish of seagoe / by Bernard J. Mooney [and] Padraic Keenan. – [Northern Ireland? : s.n.], 1954.
Knox, Robert Buick. – James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh. – Cardiff : University of Wales P, 1967

Lennon, Colm. – An Irish prisoner of conscience in the Tudor era : Archbishop Richard Creagh. – Dublin : Four Courts, 1999.
Leslie, James B (James Blennerhassett). – Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of. – Dundalk : W. Tempest, 1911.
Leslie, James B (James Blennerhassett). – Armagh clergy and parishes.Supplement to “Armagh clergy & parishes” :continuation of the biographical succession lists of the clergy of Armagh diocese up to 1947 with additions–pre-Reformation and post-Reformation and corrections and notes. – Dundalk, [Ire.] : W. Tempest, Dundalgan Press, 1948
Liber Ardmachanus : the book of Armagh / ed. with introduction and appendice. – Dublin : Hodges, Figgis & co., ltd; London; Williams & Norgate, 1913.
Lombard, Peter, Archbishop of Armagh, d. 1625. – The Irish war of defence, 1598-1600 : extracts from the Hibernia Insula commentarius of Peter Lombard, Archbishop of Armagh /edited, with introduction and translation, by Matthew J. Byrne Dublin;Cork:Cork University Press,1930

Macan, John David, 1949-. – MacCana of Clanbrassil : An ancestral and family history – Queensland : John Macan, 1997
Macaulay, Ambrose. – William Crolly : Archbishop of Armagh, 1835-49. – Blackrock, Co. Dublin : Four Courts Press, 1994
MacDonald, Darach, 1953-. – The chosen fews : exploding myths in South Armagh- Cork : Mercier, 2000
Marshall, John J. (MRSAI). – History of Charlemont Fort and Borough, in the county of Armagh, and of Mountjoy Fort in the county of Tyrone. – Dungannon : Tyrone Printing Co., 1921.
McCafferty, John. – The Act Book of the Armagh Diocese 1518-1522 : A text and introduction. – Dublin : University College Dublin, 1991.
McGorry, F.X. Lurgan, an Irish Provincial Town. Inglewood Press, 1993
Mitchell, Gary. – Tearing the loom and In a little world of our own / Gary Mitchell. – London : Nick Hern, 1998 London:Nick Hern,[1998]
Montague, John, 1929-. – Time in Armagh. – Oldcastle, Co. Meath : Gallery Press, 1993
Murphy, Michael J. (Michael Joseph), 1913-. – Sayings and stories from Slieve Gullion : Ireland’s most mysterious mountain. – Dundalk : Dundalgan Press, 1990
Murray, Lawrence P., Rev. History of the Parish of Creggan in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Dundalk 1940

Nelson, S. History of the Parish of Creggan ni Cos Armagh and Louth from 1611 to 1840. 1974

Ó Fiaich, Tomás, 1923-. – The Church of Armagh under lay control
Ordnance Survey memoirs of Ireland / edited by Angélique Day and Patrick McW. – Vol.1 : Parishes of County Armagh. – 1835-8. – Belfast : Institute of Irish Studies, Queen’s University, 1990

Paterson, T. G. F. – Country cracks : old tales from the county of Armagh / collected by T. G. F.. – Dundalk : W. Tempest, Dundalgan Press, 1939.
Peep o’day boys and defenders :selected documents on the disturbances in County Armagh, 1784-1796 / edited by David W. Miller. – Belfast : Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 1990

Rogers, Edward, fl. 1881. – Memoir of the Armagh Cathedral : with an account of the ancient city / by Ed. – Belfast : W. and G. Baird, 1881

Simms, Katharine. – The archbishops of Armagh and the O’Neills 1347-1471 / Katherine Simms
Stuart, James, 1713-1788. Historical memoirs of the city of Armagh / revised, corrected and largely re-written by Rev. Ambrose Coleman. – New ed.. – Dublin : Browne and Nolan; M.H. Gill, 1900.
Stuart, James, 1764-1842. – Historical memoirs of the city of Armagh – New ed., rev., cor., and largely re-written by Rev. Ambrose Coleman. – Dublin : Browne & Nolan, 1900

The Irish ecclesiastical register :Part first, containing the names of dignitaries and parochial clergy, with the dates of their admission; the names and denominations of the parishes, and their reputed patrons; in the Province of Armagh: together with ecclesiastical annals; and an accountof the monies granted for building churches & glebe houses, in each diocese /Edited underthe sanction of the Board of First Fruits by J.C. Erck,…Dublin;London:published by R. Milliken, N. Mahon, and R.M. Tims:M. Keene, and Hodges and McArthur:B. Dugdale and C.P. Archer:A. Watson:and other booksellers in Dublin:Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Browne:and C. P. Rivington,1824-1830

Trinity College (Dublin, Ireland), Library. – Report on the correspondence and papers of Lord John George de la Poer Beresford (1773-1862) :Archbishop of Armagh and chancellor of Dublin University, 1799-1862, and on the papers of John Coillard Erck (d 1851), ecclesiastical commissioner for Ireland, 19th century London:Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts for Trinity College Dublin,1976

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Aghivillan and Brochus Manors, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(6) Manor of Aghivillan and Brochus (2,000 acres).

Granted to John Heron July 23 (??? ) and omitted by Carew. We have no knowledge of events on the lands comprising the above two proportions previous to 1619. In that year Pynnar found that two small bawns of earth with a pallazado upon them and a ditch about them had been built and near to each a number of houses inhabited with English tenants, 13 families in all able to make 26 men with arms.

John Heron died August 1, 1616, and was succeeded by his brother Sir Edward Heron, who joined with his younger brother William in selling the lands to John Dillon March 25, 1620, (Inquisitions of Ulster, Armagh, 5 Car. I), at which time a mansion house of stone and lime 60 feet by 20 feet had been. erected in the townland of Ballenraye by John Dillon and the assigns of John Heron.

The Survey of 1622 shows “Sir John Dillon” (1) in occupation and states – there was then only “one convenient dwelling house of timber rough cast with lime wherein himself and wife with their family do now inhabit” and that there was “no bawne about it.” Leaseholders and cottagers on the lands then totalled 42, but none confirmed in their holdings; 18 Irish families were resident on the two proportions.

By 1630 these lands had passed either by purchase or forfeiture to a “Mr Waldron” who figures in a Muster Roll attributed to that year.(2) There were then 45 tenants on the property capable of bearing arms. That is the earliest reference we have to Waldron’s connection with the manor. He is said to have been of the same stock as Sir Richard Waldron who received a grant in 1610 of 1,000 acres in Co. Cavan.

From a Subsidy Roll of 1634 we learn that John Waldron was then in occupation. Two years later, May 20, 1636, we find that he and his son William had been “admitted into the number of Planters in Ireland.”(3) Besides William above he had a son George of whom later and a daughter Elizabeth who married John Obins of the Manor of Ballevoran and was left a widow by his death April 15, 1635.

John Waldron sometime during the reign of Charles I acquired half of the adjoining Manor of Shanagoolan.(4) He seems to have been dead before 1641. A deposition relative to affairs in that neighbourhood made September 3, 1642, by Mrs. Jane Grace mentions Mr. Waldron and his brothers whose Christian names she “knew not.” Mrs. C. Stanhawe, relict of his neighbour Henry Stanhawe, in her account of July 23, 1642, records “a guard of 100 men on Mr. Waldron’s house,” the “Mr.” in this case being the son William.

A “Mr. Waldron, gent.” figures in the Poll Tax or Census of 1659, presumably William above. From other sources we know that William must have died previous to 1676 but that George was still alive in 1678(5)

William married and had a son William who must have died young, and a daughter Elizabeth who married Gilbert Thacker of Repton in Derbyshire, by whom she had a daughter Jane Thacker, the ultimate heir to the Waldron estate in Co. Armagh.

Jane Thacker was a considerable heiress, having inherited a large fortune from her father as well. She married firstly the Honble. Charles Wottop alias Stanhope, son of Philip, 2nd Earl of Chesterfield, and following his death in 1703 she married secondly Thomas Stanhope of Elvaston, Derbyshire, of the branch of the Stanhopes now represented by the Earl of Harrington. He predeceased her in 1735. She died 1744. There were no children by either marriage so the Armagh property was sold by her trustees, in 1706, to Arthur Brownlow of Lurgan who, by his will dated September 29, 1710, bequeathed it with his Manor of Brownlowsderry and other lands in theseveral counties of Armagh and Monaghan to his son William, thus increasing the, Brownlow lands by another 2,000 acres. One of the parties to, the sale was a Francis Stonard Waldron of Knole Hill, Essex, probably a descendant of the John Waldron of 1630, but of whom we have no further information.

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Marriage Records, Armagh People, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1818-40

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

This page features 11 free records for people of Armagh who were married in Halifax, Nova Scotia between the years of 1818 and 1840.

Surname Name Year Address
Carr Mary 1823 Newtownhamilton, Co. Armagh
Coney Julia 1839 Co. Armagh
Magee Ellen 1835 Co. Armagh
McCann Sarah 1823 Newtownhamilton, Co. Armagh
McGee Thomas 1839 Co. Armagh
Mulholland Patrick 1840 Co. Armagh
Murphy Mary 1840 Co. Armagh
Murrough Judith 1835 Co. Armagh
Shortt Joanna 1840 Co. Armagh
Thompson Eleanor 1840 Co. Armagh
Rice Rosana 1827 Armagh Town (born in Limerick)

Back to County Armagh Genealogy.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Teemore Manor, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(5) The Manor of Teemore (1,000 acres).

Granted to the Rev. Richard Rolleston (1) March 25, 1610. As an undertaker he seems to have been ambitious but somewhat unlucky. In 1611 Carew found that he was living upon his lands and had some timber buildings after the English fashion. Three men of good sort had settled with seven poor English-men, their wives, children and servants, but the stock consisted of four English cows and eight horses for ploughing “amongst them all.” Despite that report the grantee had by then acquired the 2,000 acre manor of Bellevooran from William Powell. This, however, involved him in financial troubles and compelled him to part with Bellevoran to Richard Cope who some years after sold half of that proportion to Michael Obins.(2)

In 1619 Pynnar records a bawn of sods (3) with a pallizado, moated about and a little house within it in occupation. Near the bawn were 9 houses, inhabited with English tenants – total 10 families able to make 24 men with arms.

In 1622 Sir Francis Annesley we are told was owner having purchased the estate from Rolleston. This was far from an accurate summary of the then situation. There is ample evidence that the vendor was in monetary difficulties and had consequently been obliged to mortgage Teemore to Annesley. The latter, however, by sharp practice had by then acquired almost the whole of the estate. The story is, however, too involved for insertion here.

Richard Rolleston died in 1636. In 1641 his widow was living in Marlacoo, a townland within the manor, to which she presumably moved following her husband’s death, who had been predeceased by their eldest son Henry. At the time of the Civil War Mrs. Rolleston was resident with a family of six sons and one daughter, of whom four sons, Edward, Richard, Ralph and Thomas perished at the beginning of the troubles of that unhappy period.

Sir Francis Annesley was appointed Constable of the Fort of Mountnorris in 1612 and eventually acquired it, with its attached lands and many neighbouring townlands. On October 12, 1611, he secured the Moyry Fort and its three townlands following the death of Captain Henry Atherton who had died earlier in that year, and had been in possession from 1606. In the following year, in April, he obtained a patent for a market and fairs at Mountnorris, later acquiring the fort and its three townlands. He represented the County in the Irish Parliament in 1613 and a few years later received a further grant of lands in Orior.

Additional property coming into his possession at that period included the nunneries of Templenafertagh and Templebreed in Armagh city. Upon the institution of the order of baronetage by James I he was created a baronet August 7, 1620, and in the following year was given a revisionary patent dated March II, 1621, of the Irish Viscounty of Valentia, an honour not however available until the death of the then Viscount. Shortly afterwards on February 8, 1628, he was put in the more immediate possession of a peerage as Baron Mountnorris of Mountnorris Castle, Co. Armagh. He died in November 1660 and was the ancestor of the Earls of Annesley, Earls or Mountnorris, Earls of Anglesey, Viscounts Valentia and Barons Altham.

The Earldom of Mountnorris became extinct in 1844 but the Barony of Mountnorris survives and continues with the present Viscount Valentia.

The Annesleys no longer own any lands in County Armagh. The Mounttnorris estate was purchased by the Copes in the early 18th century and shortly after the major portion of the Manor of Teemore was added to Castle-dillon estate by the Molyneux family.

(1) His brother Arthur came to Ireland with him and was the founder of the Rollestons of Ffranckfort Castle, Roscrea, for whom see BURKE’S Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1958.
(2) See under (3) Manor of Ballevoran.
(3) Erected in townland of Teemore. Site of bawn still known locally.

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Kirnan Manor, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(2) The Manor of Kirnan (1,000 acres).

Granted to James Matchett, Clerk, May 30, 1610. Three years after he was collated rector of Drumcree, Co. Armagh. and also of the adjoining parish of Kilmore. He seems, however, to have been unable to plant tenants or erect buildings so quickly disposed of his proportion.

In 1611 his eldest son Daniel Matchett aged 24 years was acting as agent for his father-had indeed been resident since Michaelmas 1610. Carew, however, only found 2 freeholders on the land and no tenants or labourers. Promises were made to construct a bawn, materials provided for building and 9 horses and other beasts ready for work.

By 1619 the Manor had passed to Sir Oliver St. John and at that time there were upon the lands 2 bawns of timber moated about and made very strong, in each, “an English house of cage work, and 2 English families dwelling in them”; there are near to one of these bawns 5 houses, being inhabited with English families; the rest are dispersedly on the land, 3 or 4 families together.”
Total 17 families who with their undertenants are able to make 30 men with arms.”

On January 22, 1621, by an inquisition relating to the lands we learn that Sir Oliver (who by then had been created Lord Grandison) had built upon the said manor one bawn or fort of earth, four square, strengthened with pallizaadoes, and within it a good English-like house, and 20 more English houses all inhabited by English families besides a water-mill upon the river runnning through Balteagh.

The survey of 1622 presents a somewhat different picture. It is difficult to reconcile the “small timber house thatched” and” compassed about with a ditch and a quicksett hedge” with the particulars given by Pynnar and embodied in the above inquisition.(1)

(1) See (15) Manor of Ballymore.

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Ballynemony and Dewcorran Manors, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
25Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(1) The Manors of Dewcorran (1,500 acres) and Ballynemony (1,000 acres)

Dewcorran granted to John Brownlow May 28, 1610, and Ballynemony to William, his son, June 18 of same year. Carew in his report of 1611 states that both were then resident and dwelling in an Irish house, that they had brought over 6 carpenters, 1 mason, a tailor and workmen. One freeholder and 6 tenants had been settled and preparations made for the building of 2 bawns-some muskets and arms in readiness.

According to Pynnar’s Survey of 1619 bawns had been erected on both proportions, that at Dewcorran having within it a fair house of stone and brick, the bawn was, however, constructed of timber and earth but stone and lime were in readiness to build the usual walled enclosure. At Ballynemony there was a good strong house within an island. At this date “a fair town” had arisen on Dewcorran consisting of 42 houses all inhabited by English families, the streets “all paved clean through,” 2 watermills and 1 windmill-all for corn, 57 families “with divers under them” able to make 100 men with arms and “not one Irish family upon the land “- statements open to grave doubt.

The survey of 1622 gives particulars and measurements of the bawn on Dewcorran “near adjoining which he had made a good village of 40 houses inhabited with English tenants on both sides the streete in which a good windmill stands. “As regards Ballynemony nothing new transpires other than that the number of armed men had increased to 160 and 24 Irish families were resident.

William Brownlow was knighted in 1622, served as High Sheriff of the County in the following year, and represented Armagh in the old Irish House of Commons in 1639. He died January 20, 1660. By his wife Elinor O’Dogherty (daughter of John O’Dogherty of Derry and great-granddaughter of Sir John Oge O’Dogherty, Lord of Inishowen) he had issue three daughters, of whom the eldest. Lettice Brownlow, married firstly Patrick Chamberlain of Nizelrath. Co. Louth, member of an old Anglo-Norman family established in that county previous to 1312. By this marriage she had with other issue an eldest son Arthur Chamberlain born 1645, who assumed the name of Brownlow as directed by the will of his maternal grandfather.

Arthur Brownlow alias Chamberlain was High Sheriff of the county in 1679 and 1686 and Member of Parliament from 1692 until his death in 1710. He was a man of cultured tastes and took a deep personal interest in the management of the property especially in the welfare and housing of his tenants. His chief claim to our admiration, however, lies in the fact that he was the saviour of the Book of Armagh, that priceless treasure of the Primatial See and earliest of our Irish manuscripts that can with absolute certainty be dated. He was succeeded in the estate by his eldest son William, High Sheriff 1711 who followed his father in the representation of the county, retaining the seat until he died in 1739, leaving a son William (High Sheriff 1750, M.P. for the county 1753-1794) whose second son, Charles Brownlow, was the father of Charles Brownlow, M.P., created Baron Lurgan of Lurgan, ancestor of the present Lord Lurgan.(1) The estate was considerably enlarged in the early 18th century by the purchase of additional lands including the Manor of Richmount, Co. Armagh,(2) in 1706. The family also possessed property in Counties Louth and Monaghan.

(1) For detailed information on the Brownlow, Chamberlain, and allied families see L.A.J. Vol. x. pp. 318-326 and Vol. XI, pp. 173-185.
(2)See (6) Manor of Aghivillan and Brochus.

from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
25Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Dirricrevy and Dromully Manors, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(4) The Manors of Dirricrevy and Dromully (3,000 acres).

These proportions were granted to Lord Saye and Seale. His Lordship did not, however, take possession so the lands were passed to Sir Anthony Cope, Knt. July 5, 1611, but whether by purchase or because of the original grantee’s defection is uncertain. Carew informs us that Sir Anthony had sent over a sufficient overseer and assistant, both of
whom were resident in 1611. A fair castle of free stone was then in process of erection upon which 14 or 15 workmen and 9 carpenters were employed, 16 mares and horses being engaged upon the transport of materials from a quarry some eight miles away. This castle, commonly called Castleraw, survives in a somewhat fragmentary condition in the townland of Ballyrath in the Dirricrevy proportion and is not to be confused With the bawn of lime and stone described by Pynnar eight years later who, curiously enough, makes no mention of the castle, contenting himself with noting 2 water-mills and 1 windmill with 24 houses erected near the bawn. The latter with the houses and mills was situate, however, on the portion known as Dromully close to the lake where its walls now enclose a garden.

In 1622 the castle at Ballyrath is referred to as “a house of lime and stone three and a half storys high” wherein Anthony Cope, Esq. resides with his wife and family. At that time the bawn on the Dromully proportion had “four good flankers three of which contained small buildings of lime and stone 2 ½ storys high in one of which William Pierson dwells” the latter the ancestor of the Pearsons of Loughgall and Kilmore parishes. On the two estates there were then 72 men furnished with arms and 40 Irish families.

Sir Anthony Cope of Hanwell in Oxfordshire is believed to have purchased these lands for the benefit of his second and third sons, Anthony and Richard, but if so he took out the Patent in his own name and by his will settled his County Armagh property upon his son Anthony. There must, however, have been some kind of family arrangement for Richard was subsequently of Drumilly.

Sir Anthony was born in 1548 and in 1606 admitted to Gray’s Inns. He was High Sheriff of Oxfordshire three times between 1582 and 1603, and also served as a Member of Parliament for Banbury and Oxford. Having presented to the Speaker a Puritan revision of the Common Prayer Book and a bill abrogating the existing ecclesiastical law he
was committed to the Tower and there remained from February 26, 1586, until March 23. 1587.

In 1606, and again in 1612, he entertained James I at Hanwell and in June of the year previous to the King’s second visit was created a baronet. He died at Hanwell and was buried there in the family vault July 23. 1615.

Sir Anthony was succeeded at Hanwell by his eldest son William for whom he had purchased an estate in County Tyrone. Sir William, however, did not retain his Irish property, which by 1633 had passed from his ownership into other hands. Five years later he died leaving a son John, ancestor of the succeeding baronets down to the eleventh baronet at whose death in 1851 the title reverted to the Rev. William Henry Cope of whom later. Anthony Cope, second son of Sir Anthony above, was the builder of Castleraw alias Ballyrath and possibly of Drumilly also, leaving with other issue a son Henry who succeeded him at Castleraw but later moved to Loughgall and was the ancestor of the Copes of the Manor and of a son Anthony who settled in Dublin and was the direct ancestor of the above mentioned Rev. Sir William Henry Cope, from whom the present and 15th baronet. Sir Anthony M.L. Cope descends.

Castleraw was badly damaged in the Civil War of 1641 and is not believed to have been repaired. It seems to have been of the fortified manor-house type and was enclosed by a ramparted trench much of which remains in tolerable order.

Drumilly an interesting old mansion. occupies a fine position on a hill overlooking the lake, its crannoge and the old Drumilly bawn, with an excellent prospect of the Loughgall Manor House on a like eminence on the opposite shore. In the Civil War of 1641 Richard Cope the then owner was taken prisoner with his wife and two sons at Monaghan, in which county he also had lands, and imprisoned at Carrickmacross. His son Walter returned to Drumilly and after the Restoration is believed to have built the present house. He was resident there in 1673 when visited by Archbishop Oliver Plunkett whom he describes in a letter as ” a man of gentle birth and much learning.”

The Cope estate was largely increased in the 18th century by the acquisition of the Manor of Mountnorris in April 1738 and the Manor of Grange O’Neiland in the same year.

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Armagh Plantations, Ballevoran Manor, 1622

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

(3) The Manor of Ballevoran (2,000 acres).

This property was granted to William Powell of Tutbery in Staffordshire.

Like his brothers he had a situation in the King’s service. It seems probable that he had no intention of crossing to Ireland. Carew in 1611 reported that Powell had turned over the lands to Mr. Roulston and that no freeholders or artificers were settled upon them nor any work done saving the building of two bays of a house. Pynnar in 1619 shows considerable progress and states that “Mr. Obbyns” the then owner had built a bawn within which there was a good fair house of brick and lime, himself dwelling thereon.” Twenty tenants had procured land, who with their undertenants were able to make, 46 men with arms.(1)

Pynnar, through some carelessness in obtaining particulars relating to Obins, neglects to state that the Rev. Richard Rolleston the grantee of the Manor of Teemore in the same barony, owing to financial difficulties, had been unable to retain his purchase from Powell and, as a consequence, was compelled to resell to Richard Cope of Loughgall who had passed half to Michael Obins, retaining the other 1,000 acres for his sons Walter and Anthony Cope. Obins died September 26, 1629, leaving a widow, Prudence Obins, and a son John. Mrs. Obins died April 5, 1635, and John died May 14 of same year leaving by his wife, Eliza Waldron, an only son Hamlet then aged 6 months – see Inquisitions of Ulster (22) and (35) Car. I.

Michael Obins above seems either to have been improvident or financially insecure. At any rate proceedings were taken against him in 1626 which resulted in some 380 acres having to be sold- the remaining 620 acres were, however, granted to his widow and son. The Survey of 1622 confirms that he was then in prison in England but that his wife was resident. Michael Obins’ descendants in the Manor of Ballyoran (better known perhaps as Portadown) took a keen interest in the property. With Richard Cope he was responsible for the first bridge there. Anthony Obins of a later generation was concerned in the development of the canal from Newry to Portadown, a service that by the end of the 18th century resulted in the latter town becoming a useful inland port.

The last of the name to hold the property was Archibald Eyre Obins. Born 1776 and educated at the Armagh Royal School he subsequently entered T.C.D. in 1793, later taking Holy Orders and settling in England where he died at Bath in 1868.

His mother was the Honble. Nicola Acheson, daughter of Sir Archibald Acheson, Bart. and sister of Arthur Acheson, 1st Viscount Gosford. Her niece, the Lady Olivia Acheson, married Brigadier-General R.B. Sparrow of Tanderagee, a family relationship that brought about the purchase of the Obins estate by the Sparrows in 1820, for whom see (15) Manor of Ballemore.

(1) HILL, p. 559, gives “40 men” but in Hibernica and Carew the number is shown as “46” so we may assume the latter figure to be correct. ‘

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Plantation Survey, 1622, Co. Armagh and Co. Tyrone

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
12Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

A brief survey of the present estate of the plantations in the counties of Armagh and Tyone, taken by the Ld. Caulfield and Sir. Dudley Diggs and Sr. Nathaniel Rich, Knts. Anno DnI 1622.

County of Ardmagh.

The Precinct of Oneylan, allotted to English Undertakers.

(1) William Bromlow Esqr. hath 2 Proportions, vizt. Dewcorran
containing 1500 acres, upon which is built a good. howse or Castle of stone, and Brick, lay’d with lime, 3 stories high, wherein himself, his wife, and Familie, now inhabite; This house is compassed with a strong Bawne of lyme, and stone, 159 foot long, 93 foot broad, and 14 foot in height, with a fair Flancker square to the South East; and he is purposed to make another opposite; he hath made neer adjoyning a good Village, consisting of 40 howses, inhabited with English Tenants, on both sides the streete, in which a good Windemill stands.
1500 acres.

He hath also an other proportion; called Ballynemony, where he hath built a howse of lyme and stone, standing within an Island; In which, one Wilfred Trueman dwelleth, and holds this howse & 60 acres of land in Fee Simple.
(60 acres) (Should actually read 1000 acres)
Upon both Proportions.
Freeholders, vizt.

3 Haveing 10 acres apiece
5 haveing 60 acres apeece.

Leaseholders, and Cottagers.
1 haveing 140 acres.
1 haveing 200 acres.
2 haveing 120 acres apeece.
2 haveing 100 acres apeece.
2 haveing 60 acres apeece.
4 haveing 50 acres apeece.

The rest some have 40 acres, some 30, some 20, some 11, and some less, but all have some Land to their houses for 21 yeares and some for longer tearmes ; they are able to bring 160 men into the ffeild, armed with Pikes, Callivers, or other Weapons; and he hath in his Castle Shott, and Pikes for fiftie men; But there are on these Proportions, (as we are crediblie informed) 24 Irish Families.
(2) Three miles from thence, the Lord Grandison hath a Proportion called Kirnarn, containeing 1000 acres, which he purchased of James Matchett; upon which there is builded a smale Timber Howse thatched & compassed about with a Ditch, & a quicksett hedge ; But we are informed his Lordship intends very shortly, to build a stone howse & a Bawne upon it.

In this howse there now liveth two poor Servants; and upon this proportion there are planted; vizt. — .

Freeholders 10, vizt.

1 Haveing 200 Acres.
2 haveing zoo acres apeece.
1 haveing 60 acres.
2 haveing 50 acres apeece.
3 haveing 40 acres apeece.

Leaseholders for 21 yeares, or 3 lives, vizt.

1 haveing 120 acres.
1 haveing 60 acres.
6 of 20 acres apeece.
3 of 15 acres apeece.
1 of 14 acres.
1 of 7 acres.
1of 6 acres.
1 of 5 acres.

There is also a Water Mill upon this Proportion, and every Tenant is armed with a Muskett or a Calliver, or a Pike; There are upon this Proportion (as we are crediblie informed) 8 Irish Families.

1000 acres

(3) 2000 ,acres.

Mr. Obbins hath 2000 acres, called Ballevoran, upon which there is built a convenient dwelling howse of Brick, covered with thatch, about which there is a Bawne, but a yarde & Garden inclosed with a Pale. But the Gentleman himself is now prisoner in England, and his wife yet lives in the house was not at home, at our being there. But there are planted upon this Land, (as we are informed by the neighboures)

Freeholders and Leaseholders 7. and about 30 scattered English Families.
The Estates of these are uncertain in regard to title of the land. is not yet setled.
There are upon this proportion (as we are credibly informed) 18 Irish Families.

(4) 3000 Acres (should read 2000 acres) & 1000 acres

Anthony Cope Esqr. hath 3000 Acres, called Dirricrevy, and Dromully, upon the first containeing 2000 acres he hath built a strong howse of lyme and stone. 3 Stories and ½ high, wherein he Inhabiteth with his wife & Familie.

Upon his other Proportion containeing 1000 acres, he hath a very strong Bawne, well built of lyme & stone, 180 foot square, and 14 foot high, with 4 good Flanckers, upon three whereof are built smale Buildings of lyme and stone 2 stories and ½ high in the best of which one William Peirson dwells, and in the other there are under Tenants.

There is also a good Windmill. and upon these proportions there are planted

2 of 100 acres apeece.
2 of 60 acres apeece.
1 of 30 acres.
1 of 15 acres.
1 of 10 acres not resident.

There are planted as undertenants upon these Free-holders lands 23, and there are

1 of 60 acres, not resident; part whereof is litt out to English undertenants. The rest Irish occupie.
2 of 60 acres apeece.
1 of 50 acres.
2 of 40 acres apeece.
1 of 30 acres.
1 of 25 acres.
2 of 20 acres apeece.
14 of sundry smale parcells.

These all have Leases, and there are besides sundry Cottagers of Occupations makeing in all 72, furnished with Armes, besides the Freeholders. .

And there are upon these proportions as we are crediblie informed 40 Irish Families.

(5) 1000 acres
Sr. Francis Annesley, hath 1000 acres, called Temore Intely purchased of Richard Rolston, upon which there is a Bawne of 1000 sodds, with a Pallisado, and moated. But all soe decayed, that it is of litle defence; within it, is a smale howse, wherein Richard
Rolstone dwelleth with his Family.

Upon this proportion there are planted of Brittish Families.

Freeholders.
1 haveing 60 acres.
1 haveing 140 acres.

Leasholders for lives 4 haveing ½ of a Tate Leaseholders for yeares
1 haveing 120 acres.
1 haveing 100 acres.
2 haveing 60 acres apeece.
3 haveing 20 acres apeece.
2 haveing 15 acres apeece.

There are upon this proportion, (as we are crediblie informed) 12 Irish Families.

(6) 2000 Acres
Sr. John Dillon hath 2000 acres called, Aghivillan, and Brochus, upon this onely is built one convenient dwelling howse of Timber rough cast with lyme, wherein himselfe, his Father, & wife, with their Familie, doe now inhabite, there is no Bawne about the Howse.

Upon this, are planted of English Families, vizt.

Freeholders 8, having 100 acres, apeece.

Leaseholders, and Cottagers, 42, who were presented to us, with their Armes, but have not their Estates yet past to them, in regard(as it was alleadged) Sr. John Dillon is newly come to, the Land, by a, late purchase.
There are upon this Proportion, (as we are crediblie informed} 18 Irish Families.

(7) 1500 acres

William Stanhowe hath 150 acres; (should read 1500 acres) called Shanagoolan; here
is not any thing built, he having been long by Suites (as he saith) held in England, but intends shortly to build, according to the directions of the Plantation, for the Which purpose, he saith he hath in readinesse 100000 Brick, and some Timber fell’d; Memorrandum he gave bonds at his comeing out of England of £300 to perform the said Building, within a yeare; which time will expire at Michaelmas next, which we hold fitt to recomend to the Lord Deputie, or
There are not above 4 English men upon the Land; but it is generally inhabited with Irish, as upon the last survey; And (as we are informed) there are upon this proportion 24 Irish Families.

(8) 2000 acres

Francis Sacheverell hath 2000 acres, called Mullalelish & Legacorry; upon Legacorry there is built a convenient dwelling howse of stone and, lyme, covered with Thatch; and about it, a Bawne of Clay & stone; roughcast with lyme 198 foot long, 19 foot

broad, 8 ffoot high with 4 open Flanckers of the same height; In which Howse himself, with his Familie, now Inhabite; But is demised from Michaelmas next, to Sr. Archibald Acheson for 21 yeares.

Upon the Proportion of Mullalelish,he hath erected a convenient dwelling howse of lyme & stone, not yet fully finished, wherein, himself intends to reside.

There are planted upon these 2 Proportions, vizt.

Freeholders 4, vizt.

1 of 90 acres.
1 of 84 acres.
1 of 60 acres.
1 of 50 acres.

Leases for lives 24, vizt.

2 of 60 acres apeece.
1 of 30 acres.
10 of 20 apeece.
4 of 15 acres apeece.
7 of 60 acres joyntly.

Leases for yeares 13, vizt.

1 of 80 acres.
1 of 30 acres.
1 of 20 acres.
10 haveing all some small parcells of land.

Cottagers 24.

There are upon these proportions (as we are credibly informed) 49 Irish Families.

(9) 15,000 acres

Mr. John Dillon 1500 acres called Mullabane, upon which is erected, a large, and fair Brick howse, which is not yet covered, nor any Bawne about it; But himself and his Family dwells in a litle howse of timber neer adjoyning, till the other is finished.

Upon this proportion are planted.

Freeholders

3 of 60 acres apeece.
1 of 60 acres.
2 of 20 acres apeece.
2 of 60 acres joyntly.
3 of 60 acres joyntly.
3 of 60 acres joyntly.
4 of 60 acres joyntly.
6 of 60 acres joyntly.
4 of 20 acres joyntly.
11 of 60 acres joyntly.
5 of 60 acres joyntly.

And Cottagers 7.

There are upon this proportion, (as we are crediblie informed) few or noe Irish.

The Precinct of Fewes, allotted to Scottish Undertakers.

(10) 1000 acres.

Henry Acheson hath 1000 acres, called Colemalistie. upon which is built a Bawne of Clay, and Stone 100 foot long, 80 foot broad, and 10 foot high, with 4 open Flanckers; There is no Gate to this Bawne nor any Howse within for any man to Dwell, but the Bawne lies open, and is of no use, in regard it is so ill built; There are upon this land of Brittish. vizt.

2 haveing 120 acres apeece
1 of 60 acres
1 of 50 acres
3 of 100 acres joyntly
4 of 100 acres joyntly
7 of 20 acres joyntly

All armed with sword, Pike and Calliver. On this Proportion there are noe Irish, onely he hath sett out some parte of the land to the Irish to graze on.

Cottagers 8.

(11) 1000 acres
John Hamilton Esqr. hath 1000 acres called, Magherientri, which was first Sr. James Crags, upon which there is a Bawne of Clay, and stone, 90 foot long, 63 foot broad, and 12 foot High, with 2 open Flanckers; within the Bawne there is a little old thatched
howse, wherein lyes a poore Scottish man; But there is no Gate to the Bawne.

The said John Hamilton hath an other Proportion of 1000 acres, called Kilruddan sometimes William Lawders, upon which he hath a Bawne not fully finished of Clay, and stone 100 foot long, 60 foot broad, with 2 open Flanckers; Within the Bawne there is lay’d the Foundation of a dwelling howse, of stone, and Clay: but all his Building is soe ill, that it is fitt, for nothing, but to be pulled downe, and reedified, which he saith, he will doe verie shortly; and make it a seat for himselfe, to dwell on.

He hath 500 acres more, called Edenagh, upon which there is nothing built.

Freeholders 3 vizt.

1 of 120 acres.
2 of 60 acres apeece
1 of 60 acres.
2 of 60 acres apeece.

Leaseholders for yeares 23 vizt.

2 of 80 acres apeece.
2 of 75 acres joyntly.
1 of 60 acres.
2 of 60 acres joyntly.
4 of 60 acres joyntly.
1 of 50 acres.
4 of 30 acres apeece.
1 of 20 acres.
2 of 24 acres joyntly.
2 of 24 acres joyntly.
1 of 15 acres.
1 of 12 acres.

Cottagers 40.

All armed with sword, Pike or Calliver.

On these proportions there are, (as we are crediblely informed) 48 Irish Families.

(12) 2000 acres

Sr. Archibald Atcheson hath 2000 acres called Clankamy. upon this he builded a convenient dwelling howse, part of lyme. & stone part of lyme and clay, environed with a Bawne of stone and clay 120 foot long. 80 foot broad, and 10 foot high. haveing 4 Flanckers. 3 of them being 15 foot high, and 14 foot wide. which are covered and containe 2 Roomes a peece, being 2 stories, himself with his Wife and Familie. doe inhabit in the said howse. .

He hath upon the said Proportion

Freeholders 5 vizt.

2 of 200 acres apeece.
3 of 120 acres apeece.

Leaseholders for yeares vizt.

1 of 200 acres.
1 of 180 acres.
2 of 120 acres apeece.
3 of 60 acres apeece.

All armed with sword, Pike and Calliver. On this proportion there is noe Irish, but now & then, his under Tenants sittpart of the land to grazing to Irish.

The Precinct of Orier alloted to Servitors and Natives.

(13) 1000 acres
Capt. Anthony Smith Assignee to Sr. Thomas Williams. hath 1000 acres. upon which is built a Bawne of lyme and stone. 69 foot broad, & 72 foot long, and about 12 foot high,With 3 open Flanckers. upon one of which he is building a house of stone and lyme
16 foot long, 10 foot broad. 2 stories high. and promiseth to build a 4th Flancker, & a house within the Bawne for himself to dwell upon; The Gates of this Bawne are not yet up; Not farre from this Bawne is erected a convenient dwelling house. inclosed with a . double ditch quicksett, built by Mr. Watson, who hath the lease of a Towne Land, from the said Capt. Smith; And in this howse himself with his wife & Family Inhabite.

About 2 miles distant Garrett Ld. Moore. Viscount of Droghedagh. upon his Proportion of 1000 acres hath built a good Bawne of lyme, and stone 105 foot long, 90 foot broad. and 10 foot high, with Two Flanckers, In one of which there is a good strong house of stone 20 foot square 3 stories high. in which one Townley. an English man, with his Familie, continualie reside; The Gates of this Bawne are fitt to be made stronger(Marginal sequential number not given for above entry; acreage also omitted.)
(14) 200 acres.

About 3 or 4 miles from thence is planted Lewetenant Poynes, who haveing onely 200 acres, as a servitor hath thereupon built, a fair dwelling house of brick, wherein himself and his family(?) inhabite; and hath an Orchard, Gardens, yardes, & Backsides, inclosed with a Ditch quicksett, besides a Bawne and a stable; And hath provided materialls, to build a Bawne of Brick, and hath 8 English Families that dwell in houses, in forme of a Village, neer adjoyning to the fair Mansion house.
(15) 1500 Acres

Within the same Parish about 2 miles distant upon a proportion of 1500 acres called Ballemore hath the Lord Grandizon, built one castle of lyme, and stone 33 foot in Length, and 29 foot broad, and 3 stories high, with an Addition of Building 66 foot in length, and 20 foot broad, makeing it a strong and Comodious dwelling, being compassed about with a Bawne of lyme & stone, with a Flancker on the North side, 14 foot square, and a litle Platforme adjoyning to the house, on the Rock, on the South side, with Flanckers. There are in the same Bawne, one Faucon, and 2 Fauconetts of Brasse, mounted, and Armes, within the Castle, Shott, and Pike, for 40 men, adjoyning to his howse there is a Pleasant Parke, paled round about, of 3 miles com passe.

Neer to the said Castle there is builded a handsome Church, 60 foot in length, and 24 in breadth well furnished with seates, Comunion Table, Capp, Font & a good Bell.

There is also a Markett Towne just under the Castle, with 27 Houses well built of the English fashion, makeing a fair large street, inhabited with English, furnished with Pike or Calliver.

Adjoyning to this Towne, are two Watermills, under one Roofe.

(16) 2000 acres

Sir Henry Bourchier upon his Proportion of 2000 acres within a mile of the said Castle, hath erected a strong house, or Castle of lime, and stone 60 foot long, and 1St broad, 3 stories high, which is not yet fully finished. It is compassed with a Bawne of Stone and lyme 100 foot long, IS foot broad & 14 foot high, with 2 Flanckers, being about 16 foot square; upon one whereof is built a litle dwellling house, and he is now in hand with 2 other Flanckers. And without the Bawne, there is a fair stable of lyme & stone.

(17) 1500 acres

Henry mac Shane 0 Neal, had 1500 acres, who sold his Reversion to Sr. John Boucmer & he to Sr. Francis Blundell, of whome the Ld. Caulfeildbought it, who is lately come to the possession thereof, by the death of Henry me Shane, except onely one third part held on by his Wife in Jointure.

In this there is nothing built, because Henry mac Shane in regard of his povertie was priviledged by the State; But the Lord Caulfeild hath now agreed for a Bawne, & Castle, according to the Patterne of the Ld. Grandizons, at Ballymore.

(18) 500 acres
Sr. John Davis had 500 acres, called Corinshino assigned to the Lord Audley upon the Plantation, without condition of Building, in regard the 2000 acres allotted to the said Ld. Audley, as a Servitor in Orier, was not to come to him till the death of Arthur mc Baron, and his Wife who is yet liveing. This said 500 acres is now in the hand of the Lord Grandison, by Purchase, and noe Buildinge upon it.

The said 2000 acres, was omitted in Capt. Pynnars Survey, and is now in the Possession of Arthur mc Barons Wife; after whose decease the land is to come to Sr. Pierce Crosby, in the righte of the Countess of Castle-haven, who hath yet built nothing thereon.

Continuation of paper Edited by T. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
12Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0