Category Archives: Cork

Admiralty Passing Certificates, Co. Cork, 1782-92

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Records of admiralty passing certificates for people of County Cork between the years of 1782 and 1792.

Surname Name Townland Year Note
Broderick John 1789 Bantry
Conor Richard Daniel 1790 Cork
Denstan Thomas 1782 Cork
Dundas Thomas Lawrence 1788 Middleton
Earle Edward Charles 1792 Cork
Elmore Henry Mathias 1782 Cork
Fair Robert 1763 Cork
Falkener Charles Leslie Samuel, Esq 1789 St. Paul’s
Fitzgerald henry John 1789 St. Paul’s
Hungerford John George 1788 Cloughnokiley
Johnston William Benjamin William 1786 Upper Shannon
Morgan Robert 1771 Christ Church
Nason Henry John of Kinsale 1790 Clifton
Nason Richard Henry 1786 Castlelyons
O’Hea Matthew James 1786 Clonmel Cove
Otway Robert Robert 1788 St. Mary, Shandon,
Reid henry James 1792 Middleton
Rumley James William, Esq 1788 Ahada
Sarsfield Domnick Michael 1790 St. Mary & St. Ann, Shandon
Smith George Charles Thomas 1790 Cork
Trant Philip Henry 1786 St. Paul’s, Cork
Walsh Stephen Russell Richard Esq. 1792 Christ Church
Warren Robert Thomas William 1792 Carrigaline
Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Prison Records, Co. Cork, 1830-31

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+7Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

There are two main means by which you can find information if it exists.

1. Newspaper reports of the time – the chances are that this would be a long search – searching for Assize reports as to who was being tried for what and then a possible report on the outcome. Usually very little details will be given.

2. A search through the official reports of the time for the county of Cork.

These are searchable only in the NAtional Archives of Ireland as far as I know

The official reports of the constabulary were indexed but for the most part these indices are mixed in with various other ones such as the Military indices.

A few years of the Police reports are indexed separately from other official reports. The indices do give the name of the person involved in the ‘crime’ and in some instances a little bit of information on what the crime was. Each name in the indices has a reference number and in many cases the original reports still exist. I don’t know about the 1831 reports, but those for 1836 are indexed separately to all other kinds of official reports as ‘Police’ or ‘Outrage’ reports. These are the letters written by each Constabulary Chief as to the incidents that occurred in his jurisdiction to his Supervisor. The 1836 reports are filed by county and when you call up one of the references you get a box of manuscripts. From there it is a case of reading through each and every one – or, those that remain legible as these are original documents and in some cases beginning to deteriorate or in very bad condition.

I doubt that the indices or the originals are filmed, because if that was the case then the National Archives of Ireland would have copies and it wouldn’t be the originals that researchers would have to read through.

The following are examples of the kind of information one finds in these outrage reports and while they relate to Co. Galway, they give you some kind of idea of what is in these documents.

2674/C
Suicide
On Saturday morning last, an old unmarried lady of the name of Bridget Burke residing in Bohermore in this Town was discovered in her own house suspended by the neck from a ladder to which she was tied by a silk cloth. On being taken down she was found to be quite lifeless. Some suspicion being however attached to Pat Prendergast and Bridget his wife, who some short time before resided with Miss Burke but parted on rather bad terms, they still lived in her immediate neighbourhood. They were by the Magistrates directions taken into custody. An inquest was held by the Coroner on the body on Sunday and by adjournment on yesterday when the jury acquitted the prisoners of any participation in the guilt and returned a verdict that the deceased put an end to her own life while in a state of temporary derangement.
Mark Burke
Constable ?major Police.
October 4th 1836

2475/C
On the night of Saturday the 24th instant a man named Luke Ashe was beaten in a dangerous manner in that his life is despaired of on the road from his town in the parish and barony of Clonmacnoon.

From the information of some women who were on the road on their way from the market of this town Ash (sic) being stunned from the first blow it appears that two men named James Wiley and James Kelly were the principals and two others named Thos. Ward and Michael Kelly were aiding and assisting.

I succeeded this day in apprehending the principals Wiley and Kelly.
Informations will be sworn as soon as possible.
P. Arthur
C.C. 2nd Class
Ballinasloe
26th September 1836

2557/C
In reference to my report of the 26th instant concerning a man named Luke Ash who had been beaten on the night of Saturday the 24th I have further to state that the parties concerned who were in custody were brought before the Magistrates at Petit Sessions and admitted to bail to abide their tryal at the ensuing assizes. Ash is not yet out of danger but the Bench were of the opinion that he was the aggressor.
P. Arthur
C.C. 2nd Class
Ballinasloe
Sept 29th 1836

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+7Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Battle-Scarred Castle Reveals Medieval Lifestyles, Co. Cork

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Glimpsing into life in Ireland is possible for Irish Car Hire users who take a scenic drive to the historic Barryscourt Castle. Located to the east of Cork city, the former ruins have been transformed so visitors can take a realistic look into 16th century castle living. The land on which the structure is constructed has a long, interesting history and is believed to have been occupied since the seventh century. Experts have uncovered indications of watermills being used, which may have helped Ireland’s farmers as they toiled the land many years ago. As time passed, the site housed the Barry family, who first arrived on the emerald isle in the 12th century. They made the castle their home and its vast structure bears the battle scars created by the political unrest at that time.

Spread over three levels, the turreted stone structure dates from the 1500s and was restored in the 1990s in a bid to return it to its medieval glory. A stone tower and imposing walls surround a courtyard and an inner Main Hall located on the first floor combine to transport visitors to the past. In addition, the hall has been decorated with replicas of furnishings that would have been used in the 16th century, which also help to bring the past alive. Moving on to the second floor, tourists are free to marvel at the Great Hall that has also been installed with fixtures and fittings that resemble those in use during the 1500s.

A restored bedroom, dining room and chapel reveal the lifestyle of the family who occupied the building during the medieval period. Visitors can also take a look at the castle’s dungeons, which were designed to receive prisoners via a drop hole located above the dark pit. Outside, the walls bear the marks of cannonball fire that hit the structure in the 1600s during the Irish Confederate War.

Holidaymakers can also spend time viewing the site’s external areas, which have also undergone refurbishment so they resemble the original historic gardens visited by the Barry family. Near the castle’s walls, the air is permeated with aromas drifting from the tended herb garden, while an orchard has also been cultivated on the attraction’s grounds. A special exhibition called the Arts in Ireland: From The Invasion To The Plantation 1100-1600 runs at the castle and details the work of the artisans from this time period.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Great Hibernian Central Junction Railway Proposal

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

It is proposed to form a railway from the south to the North of Ireland, commencing at Limerick and ending at Clones, a distance of 122 miles with a branch from Parsonstown, through Roscrea, to Templemore of 18 miles. The Railway will proceed northwards by Killaloe, Nenagh, Cloughjodan, Shinrone, Parsonstown, Banagher, Shannon Harbour, Athlone, Ballymahon, Kennagh, Longford, Granard, Arvagh, Cavan and Ballyhaise, to Clones, at which point it will meet the traffic supplied by the Belfast and Ballymena, the Ulster, the Newry and Enniskillen, the Dundalk and Enniskillen and the Coleraine, Londonderry and Enniskillen Railways, thus concentrating in its northern Terminus, the intercourse of all the lines in that important portion of the country ; and on the South being in direct communication with the various existing and projected lines to Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Tralee &c., it will bring the two extremes of the kingdom into immediate connection, effectually open up the interior of the country, and necessarily tend to develop its almost hidden resources, while the fact of the line crossing from East to West of the country, without competing with any of them forms a singular and strikingly advantageous featured in the undertaking.

To those intimately acquainted with Ireland, its capabilities and requirements, this general outline might suffice ; but for the information of others, it may be requisite to enter more into detail of the advantages to be derived from this important project, as well as with reference to the benefit to be afforded to the country at large, as to the certain advantages which it promises to the Shareholders.

This line will afford facilities, heretofore unknown, fo exporting Agricultural productions of Ireland to the markets of England and Scotland, whether of livestock, grain, flour, butter or poultry, as well as the valuable minerals of slate, marble, lead and copper in which the country in its vicinity abounds, while to the merchants of Galway, Sligo, Londondery, Belfast, Newry, Dundalk, Waterford, Cork and Limerick, it will give means of communication with, and of supply to and from the central towns, fairs and markets from the want of easy and direct communication. Taking the natural level presented by the valley of the Shannon, above 2/3rds of the line will pass through the great wheat district of the country, in which the principal Corn Mills are situated, and from which the Northern and North Western counties are at present chiefly supplied with flour by long and expensive cartage.

It will render the Water-power and Mill sites of the Shannon and its tributaries now improved by the Shannon Commissioners, and about to be disposed of by them, available to the commercial enterprise of the country ; but as the importance of this feature may not be sufficiently known, the following extracts taken from the valuable work of Professor Kane, upon the “Industrial Resources of Ireland” are submitted, pointing out, as they do, not only the extraordinary advantages presented for the formation of a Railway parallel with the Shannon, but also describing many of the benefits to be derived from the work, the remarks on the facilities afforded by the river as a mode of communication being infinitely more forcible when applied to a Railway. The water power on the Shannon is thus spoken of by Professor Kane:-
“That great river, which penetrating the interior of Ireland, navigable from the ocean to its source, rising in one coal formation , emptying itself through another, and washing the banks of our most fertinle counties, passes slowly along falling but 50 feet in 150 miles, until it arrives at Killaloe, where its waters rush down the great rapids towards Limerick, and in a space of 15 miles present a difference of level of 97 feet of which the available power may be estimated, at least with tolerable approximation from the returns and the reports published by the Commissioners for the improvement of its navigation.”
“I shall take the average force of water available per foot of fall, at 350 horse-power ; which gives for the 97 feet of fall between Killaloe and Limerick, a total of 33,950 horse-power in continuous action, day and night throughout the year.”
“This however, is by no means the whole power of the River, for although in the upper portion of its course it flows through a district unusually level, there is yet between Lough Derg and Lough Allen, a total available fall of forty six feet six inches.”
“The total continuous power is therefore 4,717 horse, which added to that of the River from Killaloe, 33950, gives a force existing between Limerick and Lough Allen of 38,667 horse power supposed in constant action.”

Speaking of the slate quarries of Killaloe, Professor Kane continues
“The most extensive slate quarries of Ireland are near Killaloe. ***** The slates are of the very finest quality and can be had of almost any magnitude ; there are some in the museum of the Royal Dublin Society of 10 feet square area. The stone is for building purposes one of the best in Ireland. ***** These two quarries produce about 10,000 tons of manufactured slate per annum, and if a greater demand occurred the water and the spout quarries could be put into immediate operation. By the operation of this Company (the imperial) employment is given to more than 700 men and boys, and all who visit the district are equally struck with the unexpected size and magnificence of the quarries, as with the good order and appearance of the men.”

Of the marble quarries immediately upon the line he says –
“At Clonmacnoise, King’s Co., and Dromineer in Tipperary, are fine grey marbles variously tinted and peculiarly sound and useful. ***** A brownish red, mottled with grey of various shades, occurs at Ballymahon in Longford. “

Again with reference to the suitableness of the neighbourhood of the Shannon, for the staple trade of Ireland :-
“The rivers which flow into the Baltic afford also, on the low grounds along their banks, the seats of the flax agriculture of Russia and Northern Prussia ; and guided by these analogies, may we not ask, where are the similar soils or districts in our own country? They are abundant and available along the line of the principle river. The lands hitherto liable to flood, by the irregular risings of the Shannon, but, by the improvement of its channel, about to be permanently rendered available to agriculture amount to not less than 32,500 acres above Limerick, whilst below that city the caucasses or marshy grounds of the extraordinary fertility mentioned by Wakefield, are to be found. Such soils afford the most complete parallel to those districts of Egypt and of Belgium, which have been for ages the seats of the growth of flax. The water power at Killaloe….. places at the hands of the manufacturer the means of every mechanical preparation of the crop”

As showing the disadvantages under which Ireland must labour in the absence of a central line of Railway, intersecting those two projected, and in progress from East to West of the kingdom, the following may be extracted from the same high authority.

The expense of land carriage is so considerable even on the best roads, as to present material obstacles to the extension of commercial intercourse. It may be estimated , for general goods throughout the country at 6d per ton per mile, and even under the conditions of steady traffic with returns as in the case of the carriage of coals from the colliery district, I have been obliged to estimate its minimum amount at 3d per ton per mile. The cost of manufactured goods as well as of produce is thus heightened considerably by the cost of carriage their use is limited to a smaller circle of the people and therefore, every means that can be devised for lowering the cost of transport should be energetically made available.

No doubt appears to be now entertained that the Government will select a harbour upon the South or West of Ireland, for the American and West Indian Packet station ; in that event it is plain that the proposed Railway must form the main trunk in connexion with the Northern lines already mentioned, from the whole of Scotland and the North of England by Belfast, for the Americans and West Indian Mails, Passengers and Merchandise. Whether the Port selected be Galway, Limerick, Kilrush, Tarbert, Cork or Valentia – the obvious advantage of such a route in saving of time and avoiding the dangers and difficulties of Channel Navigation, are too obvious to require more particular mention.

Neither need the vast importance of this line to the Government and the country, in a military point of view , be dwelt upon ; suffice it is to say that it will connect by a direct road, the several garrisons of Derry, ENniskillen, Belturbet, Belfast, Armagh, Monaghan, cavan, Granard, Longford, Athlone, Banagher, Birr, nenagh and Limerick ; and by the proposed branch Roscrea, Templemore, Fermoy and Cork – thus affording the means of concentration of the force of the country at any one point in the north, south or centre, in a few hours time while looking upon it as the medium for ordinary conveyance of Troops and Military Stores to and from these several posts, a considerable return may be calculated upon from this branch of traffic.

This line will supply he want so long and severely felt by the Agriculturalists and Dealers of England, Ireland and Scotland of direct and speedy carriage for cattle to and from the large fairs of Mullingar, Athlone, Banagher and Ballinasloe – that great emporium of Irish Stock – bringing the coast of Scotland, by Belfast within a few hours of those well known and important markets – the traffic thus accommodated ensuring the large returns of profit.

From the Census returns, it appears that the population of the several towns upon the line amounts to 128,675 ; and taking the average population of the rural districts through which it runs, and assuming that the railway will be used by those living within a range of five miles it will have the carriage of a rural population of 359,655, making, with the towns, a total, in immediate connexion with the line of 488,331 ; but taking an equally legitimate but more extended view, and looking upon this as a portion of a great line from North to South, the same authority points out a population North of Clones of 1,920,865 in habitants, making with the amount already stated a gross total of nearly 4 millions and a half, independent of collateral traffic from the counties, cities and towns lying East and West, including the important port of Galway, to which this must also form the direct line from the Northern and North-Eastern Harbours.

A few more paragraphs not included here.

Taken from :
The King’s Co. Chronicle
Vol. 1 No. 3
Wednesday, Oct 6th, 1845

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Historical and Topographical Notes, Co. Cork, Colonel James Grove White

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Collected by Colonel James Grove White, published 1905-1913.

Contributed to the From Ireland web site by Mr. Bob Meehan.

Ballydoyle

Grove White, Volume I, Page 160

Sheet 26, six-inch Ordnance Survey. Sheet 176. one-inch 0.S.

It is situated two miles north of Castletownroche, which is the post town. Ballydoyle is the Irish for “town of the blind man.” (O’Donovan). (It may mean “Doyle’s Town” – James Byrne, J.P.)

“Ballydoile and Ballekerrin” was part of Lord Roche’s property. It consisted of 312a. He forfeited it, and it was granted circa 1657 to Thomas Wealstead, 52a.; Lord Kingston, 259a., 2r, 0p.(Dist and Sur. book, circa 1657, P.R.O., Irld).

It originally belonged to the Stannard family, and came in to the Eustace family by the marriage of the Rev. Charles Eustace, of Robertstown, Co. Kildare, in 1800 with Cassandra, daughter and co-heir of John Stannard, of Ballydoyle, County Cork. (See Eustace of Robertstown, B.L.G., 1904).

In 1839 it is recorded as the property of Captain Eustace by deed forever, and it is in general flat and dry, of middling quality. (Field Book of 1839, Ord. Sur. Off., Dublin)

In 1867 Mr. William Luscombe Lavers occupied the place. He built the dwelling-house and out-offices. He was reputed locally as a first-class farmer, a native of Kingsbridge, Devonshire.

In 1893, Mr. Ralph Ladd was living there. He married the daughter of Mr. W L. Lavers. (Mr. Ladd was evicted about four years ago, but he is to be reinstated under the Land Purchase Act of 1906 – James Byrne, J.P.).

The present owner is Major C. L. Robertson Eustace, 60th Rifles, who farms the place. There are 776a. 3r. 17p., statute acres, in the townland, and Major Eutstace farms about 350a.

ref. Historical and Topographical Notes, etc., on Buttevant, Castletownroche, Doneraile, Mallow, and Places in their Vicinity (North Cork Baronies of Fermoy, Duhallow, Orrery, Kilmore, Condons & Clangibbon)” collected by Colonel James Grove White Pub. 1905-1913.

Ballygrelihan

Sheet 26, six-inch O.S. Sheet 176, one-inch O.S. (not shown).
Barony of Fermoy. Parish of Castletownroche.

Ballygrelihan lies on the left bank of the river Awbeg, adjoining the village of Castletownroche It now consists of 217a. 3r. 16p. statute measure.

Ballygrelihan Is the Irish for the “town of the mire” (O’Donovan).

This place in 1667 consisted of 433a. 3r. 20p., and belonged to Lord Roche, who forfeited it after the 1641 rebellion.

Grantees were John Hodder (later Sir Richard Hall, and later still Dianna Mitchell), who received 401a. 3r. 20p, and Lord Kingston, who got 31a. 3r. op. (Dist. and Sur. Book, P.R.O., Irld.)

In 1814 a Mr. Nagle appears to have been living there, the post town being Castletownroche (D.N.P.).

Mr. James Byrne, J. P., adds :—“ There is no residence at Ballygrelihan now, but this farm was a long time in the hands of the Webb family of Castletownroche.

It now belongs to Mrs. T. D. Thomas of Castletownroche. The landlord is Rev. F. Walker. Portion of the townland belonged to Mr. Brasier- Creagh, of Creagh Castle, but it was sold to the tenants a few years ago under the Ashbourne Act. (The Mehigans? – my note)

It was once owned by some people named Barry.

I am also informed that a very small portion of the townland of Ballygrelihan is comprised in the demesne of Glenanore, but Mr. Hoare’s house is not on any part of this townland.

The landlords were, up to recently, Captain John Brasier.Creagh, of Creagh Castle, and Mrs. Coleburn, who lived in England. The portion of “Ballygrelihan” which is comprised in “Glenanore,” was held under both (in all amounting to about 20 acres). Mr. Thomas E. Hoere, B.L, BA., of Glenanore, has purchased the portion he held from Captain John Brasier.Creagh, but he still pays rent to Mrs. Coleburn.

Both Coleburn and Creagh were the names of the landlords who, in 1773, let these bits of Ballygrelihan to the Rev. Richard Purcell, then of “Glenanore.”

Mr. Langley Brasier Creagh, J.P., of Streamhill, Doneraile, informs me that there was a residence on Ballygrelihan, in which his grandfather, George Washington Brasier-Creagh, lived before he inhabited Creagh Castle. He knows the site of the old house.

The Field Book of 1839 gives :— Ballygrillihan….This property of Edward Colburn, Esq., by deed for ever. Land of good quality and in a good state of cultivation. Abounds with limestone. (Ord. Sur. Off, Dublin.)
Volume III, Page 147
Glenanore.

Ballyvoher or Ballinvoher

Grove White, Volume I, Page 270
Sheet 26, 6-inch O.S., and Sheet 176, 1-inch O.S.
Barony of Fermoy, Parish of Castletownroche.

It is situated on the left bank of the river Awbeg, and is now a townland. It is shown as such in 1841 on the 6-inch OS. It is not given on the 1-Inch O.S.

Ballinvoher is the Irish for “the town of the road.” (O’Donovan.)

In 1881 the townland contained 637a. 2r. 6p.; pop. 94; val., £439 10s. (Guy.)

According to the Book of Sur. and Dist., circa 1657, Ballyheene and Ballinvogher were owned by Lord Roche, and contained 164 acres. He forfeited this property, and the grantee was John Hodder, and subsequently passed to Sir Richard Hull. (P.R.O., Irld.)

Smith (pub. 1750) writes :—lt belonged to the Browns, whose ancestor, for a slight offence, was executed at Cork in King James’s time, soon after the landing of that Prince, his greatest crime being his attachment to the Protestant cause.

This Mr. Brown joined Sir Thomas Southwell and other gentlemen, who, being unwilling to part with their horses and arms, as many of them were plundered of their stocks before, and justly suspecting that if their arms were gone, neither their lives or substance could be safe, assembled with their servants and resolved to march to Sligo to join the Lord Kingston for their common defence.

Mr. Brown happened, on the way (his own horse being galed) to make free with one belonging to Mr. Nagle, a near neighbour of his, but not liking the design, he went back to his own house and returned the horse. For this he was first brought before Judge Daly at Limerick, who, upon examination of the matter, dismissed him innocent of any crime that would bear an indictment. But he was taken up again for the same fact at Cork, and brought before Judge Nugent (soon after King James had landed at Kinsale), who seemed, at first, to be of the same opinion with Judge Daly; but after he had discoursed his Majesty, he proceeded vigorously against the gentleman, and procured him to be found guilty by a partial jury.

Everybody looked on this only as an occasion sought for the King to show his clemency. Mrs. Brown, with five or six children, presented him a petition to save her husband’s life, as the first act of grace on his coming into the kingdom, but he rejected her petition; and notwithstanding she reinforced it with all the interest she could make, the gentleman was hanged, drawn and quartered. (I. 314.)

Note.—This statement, with additional particulars, appears Vol. 2, p. 158.

Isabella, daughter of William Galwey (Delacour and Galwey, bankers, Mallow) married in 1796 Henry Brown, of Ballinvoher, Co. Cork, barrister-at.law, and had issue. A grand-daughter of this Isabella is wife of the Chief Justice of Tasmania (? 1892). (Journal for 1893, p. 28.)

In 1814, James Raymond, Esq., lived here. (D.N.P.)

In 1844, a farmer named Lombard lived here.

The Field Book of 1839 gives BALLANV0HER.—” Property of Captain Browne, by deed for ever; land dry and of a light quality; houses in middling repair” (Ord. Sur. Off., Dub.)

A pedigree of “Browne of Ballinvoher” is given in Burke’s Landed Gentry, 1881. The family resided at Ballinvoher until about the early part of the 19th century. The family emigrated to Australia or Tasmania.

There are several entries to this family in the C. of I. Register of Castletownroche Parish, kept at Public Record Office, Dublin.

Ballinvoher, 2 1/2 plowlands, formed part of a large grant of land from James I. to David Lord Roche, Viscount Fermoy, on his surrender of them to the King, 16 December, 9 James I. (Patent Rolls, James I.)

I am informed (1905) that James Blake, of Ballinvoher, lives in what was formerly the house of the Brownes of Ballinvoher, and Mr. Raymond lived in the same house many years ago.

A tenant on the Ballinvoher estate, whose kith and kin have been there for over 200 years, states that he heard, in his youth, that the present house (now occupied by James Blake) was the third dwelling-house built on the same site by the Brownes.

According to Guy, the following farmers and residents have lived here

1875. Patrick O’Brien
1886. Michael Brien, Timothy Callaghan.
1892. James Blake, Michael Brin, Timothy Callaghan.
1907. James Blake, Michael Brin, Timothy Callaghan, Miss Cotter,
Kate Fant, Cornelius O’Brien, James O’Brien, Owen Sweeney.

Raghaneene or Rahaneen or Rathyneen

Sheet 26, 6-inch O.S.. Sheet 176, 1-inch O.S.

Barony of Fermoy. Parish of Castletownroche.

Glenanore lies immediately east of the village of Castletownroche, near the left bank of the river Awbeg. It is partly in the townland of Ballygrillihan and partly in that of Ballyadeen (see those places in these “Notes.”)

Glenanore means ‘Glen or valley of the gold.” (O’Donovan.)

The main portion of the demesne of Glenanore, and on which the residence, garden, &c;, are, is in the townland of Ballyadeen, the old original name of the entire of which was Rathyneen or Rahaneen (Raghaneene, .4 plow, 364 a. was part of the forfeited properties of Lord Roche, Viscount Fermoy, and formed part of the grant to Lt. Col. John Widenham in 1666 (P. R. O. Dublin. and Vol II. p. 166 these “Notes’). In 1663 John Hodder of Rathynion, is mentioned, as being in Parish of Castletownroche, and having goods valued at £5 3s.7 ½ d (Subsidy Rolls, P. R. O., Dublin)); it appears in the old Down Survey as Raghaneene. From the deeds and documents of title in the possession of Mr. T. E. Hoare, it appears that in 1696 Thomas Tuckey, of the City of Cork, merchant, let the whole of the lands of Rathyneen or Rahaneen to Richard Verling under a lease renewable for ever. Richard Verling appears to have lived there till his death, which occurred either in 1724 or 1725, when he was succeeded by his eldest son, William Verling. There is no doubt that the original lessee, Richard Verling, was the Richard Verling, M.A., who is stated in Brady’s Records of Cork, vol ii. p. 105 (1863), to have been R. V. of “Castletown” from 1686 till 1724, and who was married to the “relict” of John Widenham, Esq., and whose eldest son was William Verling. In the year 1742 the said William Verling let, under a lease renewable for ever, that part of the lands of Rathyneen or Rahaneen then known as Glananore to Belcher Pedder, described as then of the City of Cork, and from recitals in the lease it appears that William Verling was residing at Glananore till the lease to Pedder. Early in the 18th century, if not before, the place was known as Glannanore or Glananore. Belcher Pedder appears to have resided at Glananore, till 1748, when he sublet to William Freeman, who resided there till his death, which must have occurred previous to 1760,(probate dated 1760 – Cloyne Wills, P. R. O. Dublin) for in that year Belcher Pedder renewed the sub-tease to Elizabeth Freeman, Widow and executrix of William Freeman, “late of Glananore,” and Elizabeth Freeman is described as then living at “The Elms,” a small place at the other side of the road from Glenanore, a portion of the Brasier Creagh estate in thc townland of Loughruhane, and now in the possession of a Mr. Matthew O’Callaghan; the residence there has disappeared. Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman re-sublet Glananore to the Rev. Richard Purcell in the year 1763. It would appear from the sub-lease that Mr. Purcell was in possession of the place before that date. He was R. V. of Castletown and Coole from 1759 till his death in 1797, and was buried in the church at Castletown (Castletownroche). Mr. Purcell in 1784 purchased the interest of his immediate landlord, Mrs. Freeman, thus becoming direct tenant to the representatives of Belcher Peddcr, and in 1794 purchased their, interest, and so became the direct tenant of the representative of the Verlings, who for a long number of years have been the Johnson family.

The late Colonel Wm. Johnson, D.L., of Castle Lyons, derived a head rent out of the greater part of Rathyneen, now called Ballyadeen, a large townland. Belcher Pedder, under another lease held from Wm. Verling the residue of Rathyneen. He died in or about 1760. His daughter Elizabeth succeeded him. She married Charles Furlong, of Ballybeg, in the Buttevant country, and a large portion of Ballyadeen is still in the ownership of the Furlong family, Mr. Charles J. Furlong, J.P., of Richmond, Fermoy, being the immediate landlord.

As we have seen. the Revd. Richard Purcell came to the place in 1763. He was P. Coole and R. V. Castletownroche) (Brady, ii. 173), and was succeeded in 1797 by his grandson, George Purcell, J.P.,.whose eldest son was Revd. James Geo. Purcell, Vicar of Worminghall, Bucks.

George Purccll, J. P. was eldest son of Goodwin Purcell of Spring Grove, Kanturk. He subsequently went to reside at Lohort Castle as agent to Earl of Egmont, and Glenanore was occupied by his brother, Richard Purcell, Major Cork City Militia.

Garrett Nagle ((Ned Nagle, the gentleman piper, died at Glenanore., 1816 (Mrs. Cath. Stawell’s Diary)) rented Glenanore from Revd. Rich. Purcell, and was there about 1812. (Post Chaise Companion, 4th Ed:, about 1812.) He died 1816.

In 1819 Major Thomas Cornelius Holmes (Captain Francis Holmes, 60th Rifles. (Commission dated 13th Sept. 1311). 3rd son of Corneilius Holmes. of Shennanagh. near Buttevant, lived at Glenanore. He succeeded to the Ballyhoura and Shennanagh. etc.. property on the death of.his elder brothers. He married Phoebe Bevan, a French Canadian, who survived him. He d. 14 March. 1834, leaving issue (see Holmes’ pedigree under “ Shennanagh” in these “Notes” later). became tenant of Glenanore to George Purcell of Lohort. the then successor in title to the above-mentioned Rev. Richard Purcell, and in 1829 the Rev. Thomas Hoare, grandfather of the present owner, purchased from his representatives, (he having shortly before died) the tenancy of Major Holmes. In 1835, the Rev. Thomas Hoare purchased the interest of the Purceils, and thus became the direct tenant to the representatives of the Verlings, who, as before stated, are now the Johnson family. The place is now held by Mr. Thomas Edw. Hoare, B.L., under a fee farm grant.

The Rev. Thos. Hoare (who was the youngest son of Sir Edward Hoare, 2nd Bart. of Annabelle, M.P. for Carlow and Banagher in the Irish Parliament) was curate of Voughal from 1805 till 1807, when he exchanged curacies with the Rev. Robert Bell and became curate at Castletownroche. He resided at Bridgetown House (now demolished) from 1807 till 1829, when he went to reside at Glenanore. He was R.V. of Castletown from the death of the Rev. the Hon. James St. Leger (April 1st, 1835) till his death in December, 1835 (see Hoare, Bart., of Annahelle, Burke’s Peerage and Baronetage). The demesne of Glenanore also comprises, and did from the earliest times, portion of the townlands of Loughruhane and Ballygrillihane. The back portion of Glenanore House is very old, with very thick walls, of a date anterior to the ownership of the Rev. R. Purcell. and was the residence of the Verlings, Pedder and Freeman. Mr. Purcell largely added to the house, and built most of the out-houses and the demesne walls. The present front of the house was extended by Major Holmes, and on the cut-stone supporting the fan-light over the hall-door is cut the date which was the commencement of his tenancy, 1819.

Lewis (pub. 1837) gives ‘Glenanore, the seat of the representatives of the late Rev. T. Hoare, is beautifully situated in the midst of picturesque and romantic scenery” (under Castletownroche, i. 312).

The Field Book of 1839 states Glenanore House. The residence of MaryAnne Hoare, and is pleasantly situated on a rising ground in the N.W. corner of Ballyadeen Townland; is in good repair; bounded on the N. and W. by a plantation.” (Ord. Sir. Offi., Dub.)

The pedigree of “Purcell, late of Glannanore, ‘is given in Burke’s L.G. Irld, ‘1912 Ed., and that of Hoare under “Hoare Of Annabella, Bart.” (Burke’s Peerage and Baronetage.)

Entries to families of Holmes and Hoare of Glenanore are given in Castletownroche C. of I. Par. Reg., and to Hoare in Bridgetown Par. Reg. (P.R.O., Dublin.)

The present residents (1914) are Mrs. Hoare and her sons, Thomas Ed. Hoare, B.L., and Edward Lloyd Hoare, and her daughters, Mrs. Rebecca Eliz. Mansergh, widow of Major Hen. Chas. Mansergh. late 27th Innis. Fus., and of Rocksavage, C.T.R., and Miss Mary. Anne Cornelia Hoare.

ref. Historical and Topographical Notes, etc., on Buttevant, Castletownroche, Doneraile, Mallow, and Places in their Vicinity (North Cork Baronies of Fermoy, Duhallow, Orrery, Kilmore, Condons & Clangibbon)” collected by Colonel James Grove White Pub. 1905-1913.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Emigration and Education Statistics, 1931, Co. Cork

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Extract Thom’s Directory of Ireland, 1931

Cork, a maritime county is in the Province of Munster. It is the largest county in Ireland, bounded on the north by Limerick, on the east by Tipperary and Waterford, on the south by the Atlantic ocean and on the west by Kerry. It’s length from Dursey island in the south west to Kilbeheny near Mitchellstown is 98 miles. The greatest length of th ecounty from Crow Head to Youghal is 102 miles; it’s breadth from the boundary at Mullaghareirk Mountains on the south west to Robert’s Head south of Cork harbour is 54 miles.

NAME AND FORMER DIVISIONS

The counties name is derived from that of Cork city, being a shortened form of the Gaelic word Corcagh which signifies a marsh. The present county clearly corresponds with the ancient sub-kingdom of Desmond or south Munster. Corka Laigdhe (pronounced Corkalee) the old territory of the O’Driscolls comprised all the district from Courtmacsherry Bay to Bantry Bay, and the peninsula between Roaring Water Bay and Dunmanus Bay was the ancient Iveagh, the territory of the O’Mahoney’s. On the point of Dursey island are three sea rocks called in English, the Bull, the Cow and the Calf; they are celebrated in legendary history as the place where Donn one of the Milesian brothers perished in a storm with the crew of his ship. Several of the old territories are represented in name and position by baronies. Thus the old district of Beanntraighe is the Barony of Bantry; Cairbre the Baronies of Carbery; Muscraighe the Baronies of Muskerry; Duthaighe-Eada the Barony of Duhallow; Feara-Muighe the Barony of Fermoy called in later ages, the Roches country.

PHYSICAL FEATURES

In the Barony of Duhallow, there was at Dromagh, 3 miles south-west of Kanturk an extensive coal field; Copper ore was found in various places, the chief mines being those of Allhies near Castletown Berehaven (Castletownbere), and the Cappagh mine on the west coast of Roaring Water bay near Skibbereen.

North of Bantry Bay are the Caha Mountains on the boundary of Cork and Kerry; the Miskish extending thence to the western point of the peninsula. Their most remarkable summits(with their height in feet) are Hungry Hill (2,251), near Berehaven; and Sugarloaf (1,187) west of Glengariff. East of these are mountains encircling the Pass of Keimaneigh, and the lake of Gougane Barra. The highest point is Shey Hill (1,797) at the head of Owvane Valley. North of these lies another range running east and west, beginning on the west with the Derrynasaggart Mountains (2,133) on the buondary between Cork and Kerry midway between Macroom and Killarney; east of these are the Boggeragh Mountains, culminating in Missheramoe (2,118) rising over Millstreet; further east are the Nagles Mountains terminating near Fermoy. This whole range from the west end of Derrynasaggart Mountains to Fermoy is over 40 miles in length. The Boggeragh and the Nagles Mountains define on the south the valley of the Blackwater, which has on the north the Ballyhoura Range extending into Limerick. East of these are the Kilworth Mountains. Near Newmarket on the borders of Cork and Kerry is Taur (1,329) and north of it Mullaghareirk Mountains (1,341) forming part of the boundary between Cork and Limerick. Mount Gabriel (1,339) over Skull rises quite detached in the middle of a great plain.

The Headlands beginning on the east are Knockadoon, south of Youghal; Power Head and Robert’s Head at the entrance to Cork Harbour; the Old Head of Kinsale west of Kinsale Harbour; Seven Heads east of Clonakilty Bay, and Galley Head on its west; Toe Head west of Castlehaven; Cape Clear on the south of the island with the same name; Mizen Head is the most southerly point of the Irish mainland; Muntervary or Sheep Head is the extreme point of the peninsula between the Bays of Bantry and Dunmanus; Dursey, west of Dursey island; and Crow Head on the adjacent mainland. Cod’s Head and Kilcatherine mark Coulagh Bay on the Kenmare River estuary.

The Islands taking the opposite direction are Dursey at the end of the Bear peninsula; Bear Island in Bantry Bay opposite Castletown; and further inland near Bantry town is Whiddy. Cape Clear island is at the extreme south and on its south-west is the Fastnet Rock. Sherkin is between Cape Clear and the mainland with other small islands in the neighbourhood. Cork Harbour contains Great Island, Little Island and Fota; Haulbowline and Spike Island, formerly a Convict Station.

The Bays and Harbours are Youghal Harbour separating the counties of Cork and Waterford, where the Blackwater enters the sea; Ballycotton Bay; Cork Harbour, at the mouth of the lee; Kinsale Harbour at the mouth of the Bandon, and Courtmacsherry at the mouth of the Arigideen; next are the Bays of Clonakilty and Rosscarbery, Glandore Harbour and Castlehaven. Baltimore and Roaring Water Bays are near Cape Clear. Dunmanus and Bantry Bays are on the west; off the latter are Bearhaven and Glengarriff Harbour. Kenmare Bay belongs jointly to Cork and Kerry; on the Cork side are Ballydonegan and Coulagh Bays, and Ardgroom Harbour belongs jointly to Cork and Kerry.

The chief rivers are the Blackwater and the Lee, the Bandon and their tributaries. The Blackwater rises at Knockanefune Hill near Kingwilliamstown in Kerry. It runs east and then south, forming for 11 miles the boundary between Cork and Kerry; then flowing east for over 50 miles it forms, for a couple of miles, the boundary between Cork and Waterford; then flowing through Waterford past Cappoquin, it enters the sea at Youghal. The chief tributaries of the Blackwater in Co. Cork are the Bride, the Tourig, the Glen, the Allow, the Dalna, the Awbeg (Spenser’s Mulla), the Funshion and the Araglin.

The Lee rises in Gougane Barra lake, and in its course forms Inchigeela Lake, and eventually below Cork City forms Lough Mahon and enters the sea between Power Head and Robert’s Head. The tributaries of the Lee are the Gullane and Laney; the Martin and its tributary the Blarney River; the Glashaboy; and the Owenacurra. Another Bride River enters the Lee seven miles above Cork.

The Bandon rises at Owen Hill west of Dunmanway, and flowing by Dunmanway, Bandon and Inishannon enters Kinsale harbour. Its tributaries are the Caha, another Blackwater and the Brinny.

Other rivers in the county are the Adrigeen which enters Courtmacsharry Bay, and the Ilen River into Baltimore Bay; the Coomhola, the Owvane, and the Mealagh flow into Bantry Bay; and the Four Mile Water into Dunmanus Bay.

The only Lakes calling for notice are those formed as already mentioned in the course of the River Lee.

FAMILIES AND HOUSES, 1926

There were 74,878 families in the county according to the 1926 Census for Ireland, the average number in each family being 4.6. The number of ‘inhabited houses’ was 63,245, with an average of 4.9 persons to each house. The Special Inmates of Public institutions are omitted from these figures.

There were in the county 37,445 ‘Occupiers’ or ‘Heads of Families’ who were in occupation of less than five rooms, this was 50.1% of the total for the whole county. Of these 1,301, or 1.9% occupied one room; 7,729 or 10.4% occupied two rooms; 10,649 or 14%, occupied three rooms; and 17,766 or 23.7% were in occupation of four rooms.

There were 639 tenements in the county, in which the room had only one occupant at that time; 546 cases where the room had two, three or four occupants; 101 cases in which there were five, six or seven occupants and 15 cases where the occupants of one room exceeded 7 in number, including 2 cases where ten persons occupied the same room.

ANALYSIS OF THE CENSUS FOR COUNTY Cork, 1821-1926

Year
Males

Females

Total Pop.
1821 360,959 369,485 730,444
1831 396,714 414,018 810,732
1841 420,551 433,567 854,118
1851 318,149 331,159 649,308
1861 269,637 275,181 544,818
1871 256,062 261,014 517,076
1881 246,044 249,563 495,607
1891 219,988 218,444 438,432
1901 202,297 202,314 404,611
1911 197,516 194,588 392,104
1926 183,159 182,563 365,747

EDUCATION

In 1911, there were in the county 259,477 people aged 9 years and upwards; of these 230,564 or 88.9% could read and write; 4,489 or 1.7% could read only; and 24,424 or 9.4% were illiterate. As that census was the first for which the age for consideration had been raised from 5 years to 9 years, no comparison can be made with figures from earlier censuses. But – the percentage of those of five years and upwards who were unable to read and write in 1891 was 20%. By 1901 this figure was listed as 14.2% and in 1911 had fallen to 11.3%.

IRISH SPEAKING (1861-1911)

No.
of people
1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911

Irish only
16,478 11,532 5,571 2,270 1,065 557

Irish & English
178,979 135,437 156,785 110,246 96,914 76,648
% of
population
35.9 33.5 39.1 31.0 29.8 23.8

RELIGIONS, 1871-1926(% of population)


Religion
1871 1881 1891 1901 1911 1926

Presbyterian
0.3 0.4 0.4 0.33 0.33 0.13

Church of Ireland
7.1 7.2 7.4 7.31 7.29 4.86

Roman Catholic
91.5 91.7 91.30 91.32 91.45 94.34

Methodist
0.5 0.5 0.7 0.68 0.65 0.42

Others
0.6 0.2 0.2 0.36 0.28 0.25

EMIGRATION (1861-1911)

1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911
148,009 118,669 74,209 83,533 77,072 43,593
Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Co. Cork Tourism: Barryscourt Castle

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Glimpsing into life in Ireland is possible for Irish Car Hire users who take a scenic drive to the historic Barryscourt Castle. Located to the east of Cork city, the former ruins have been transformed so visitors can take a realistic look into 16th century castle living. The land on which the structure is constructed has a long, interesting history and is believed to have been occupied since the seventh century. Experts have uncovered indications of watermills being used, which may have helped Ireland’s farmers as they toiled the land many years ago. As time passed, the site housed the Barry family, who first arrived on the emerald isle in the 12th century. They made the castle their home and its vast structure bears the battle scars created by the political unrest at that time.

Spread over three levels, the turreted stone structure dates from the 1500s and was restored in the 1990s in a bid to return it to its medieval glory. A stone tower and imposing walls surround a courtyard and an inner Main Hall located on the first floor combine to transport visitors to the past. In addition, the hall has been decorated with replicas of furnishings that would have been used in the 16th century, which also help to bring the past alive. Moving on to the second floor, tourists are free to marvel at the Great Hall that has also been installed with fixtures and fittings that resemble those in use during the 1500s.

A restored bedroom, dining room and chapel reveal the lifestyle of the family who occupied the building during the medieval period. Visitors can also take a look at the castle’s dungeons, which were designed to receive prisoners via a drop hole located above the dark pit. Outside, the walls bear the marks of cannonball fire that hit the structure in the 1600s during the Irish Confederate War.

Holidaymakers can also spend time viewing the site’s external areas, which have also undergone refurbishment so they resemble the original historic gardens visited by the Barry family. Near the castle’s walls, the air is permeated with aromas drifting from the tended herb garden, while an orchard has also been cultivated on the attraction’s grounds. A special exhibition called the Arts in Ireland: From The Invasion To The Plantation 1100-1600 runs at the castle and details the work of the artisans from this time period.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Co. Cork Tourism: The Blarney Stone

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+27Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Each year hundreds of thousands of visitors join a long line of people who have travelled to Ireland to kiss the famous Blarney Stone. Many celebrities, such as singer Mick Jagger and comic duo Laurel and Hardy, have taken a trip to County Cork in order to benefit from the powers of eloquence the stone is believed to bestow on those that kiss it. Holidaymakers using Car Hire Ireland services can easily travel to the well-known site in Blarney Castle in order to take part in this must-do ritual while visiting the Emerald Isle.

As well as seeing the stone, tourists have the opportunity to marvel at the ancient castle that houses it and the outlying gardens, which hark back to a time when Druids and Witches roamed the land. Visitors to the castle will learn that the stone’s origins are debated with some believing it hails from Egypt where it served as a source of water that flowed from a rock on the command of Moses.

Another theory says that it was introduced to Ireland by prophet Jeremiah, while others refer to it as the Lia Fail, explaining that its role was to reveal the true Kings of the country – the stone was believed to emit a loud noise when Ireland’s true monarch stood near it.

The most widely-accepted theory regarding the Blarney Stone’s origin is that it was a gift from Scotland following King Cormac McCarthy efforts in providing support to the Scottish troops during the 1314 Bannockburn battle, which they won. The gift was integrated into the battlements of Blarney Castle when it was rebuilt in 1446, where it has stayed ever since.

According to the attraction, the powers of eloquence that the rock is rumoured to bring to those who kiss it were first noticed by a local witch during McCarthy’s time. The rock’s powers were also referred to by Elizabeth I in the 1500s. The royal sought ownership of the castle but she was constantly presented with obstacles by its owner at the time, who was Dermot McCarthy. Eventually she referred to McCarthy’s careful excuses as “Blarney”, which has forever linked the word with eloquent, coaxing words. After kissing the stone, visitors can take their time enjoying the rest of the attraction, which is steeped in history. The ancient castle houses dungeons and tunnels that can be investigated by holidaymakers keen to look into Ireland’s distant past. While the Rock Close gardens feature a Druid’s Cave and Witch’s kitchen set in an atmospheric garden that reflects the myths and legends of the Emerald Isle.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+27Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Co. Cork Tourism: Whale Watching

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

When you think of going whale watching you may think of far off countries such as Canada or Australia, however you may be surprised to learn that there is a great deal to see a lot closer to home. Most people are unaware that over a third of known whale, dolphin and porpoise species have been spotted off the coast of Ireland. Meaning that at certain times of the year the Emerald Isle is a fantastic place to see some of the oceans more elusive mammals. West Cork is one of the best places to spot these creatures and also offers a fantastic range of accommodation and dining options to make your stay easy and stress free. Easily accessible by road West Cork makes a great stop off as part of a driving holiday in Ireland or is a good place to base yourself if you are looking for a longer stay. Overseas guests may wish to rent a car from the airport in order to reach West Cork easily and quickly.

If you do wish to see the whales and dolphins during your trip you need to consider the time of year in which you are travelling. May is the best month to see Minke Whales who are the first to arrive in the Irish Waters. Following them are the Fin Whales who can be viewed from June. Both types of whale typically remain through July and August and into the winter months. The larger Humpback Whales first make an appearance during the month of August but can arrive a little later and tend to be a little less predictable with their timings. The stunning coastline of West Cork makes it the perfect place to view the whales as well as a great place to indulge your passion for the outdoors. There are a number of good coastal walks, which offer fantastic panoramic views out to sea. Whales and dolphins can also be seen in at other points along the Irish coast, however with over half of the sightings taking place in West Cork, this is truly a great place to go if you want to see these great creatures in their natural habitat.

There are a number of tour boats, which offer trips out to view the whales, and if you are lucky you may also catch a glimpse of a seal or a dolphin whilst out on your trip. There are also a great variety of bird species, which make this area their home, which also makes West Cork a great place for bird spotting. For those visitors who would prefer to stay on solid ground rather than go out to sea, there is also a lot to see and do in the towns and villages which populate the area. It is easy to take in the local sights and sounds whilst exploring the area in your rental car, as the road networks are easy to navigate. Stop for a while and enjoy the local shops and galleries before indulging in some tasty local cuisine to end the day.

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Presbyterian (Seceders) Synod, 1833: Congregation Index

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+2Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0
Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+2Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0