On the shelves in the National Archives of Ireland are some indices – books – and these books are indexed in a number of ways – the general title is ‘Index of Official Papers’. For most of the years, they have this title – but then for some of the years, there are Military or other indices with information separated from the general run of the mill official index for that year.
There is information in these as to the movements of various regiments – the simple fact of groups being overcome by cholera or some such gives us an idea of the times that diseases were present in certain places or all of Ireland. There are references to marriage records in here – requests from people for the effects of some other person, indicating relationships.
All the indices are indexed alphabetically – in the general indices then there may be a cross reference back to another letter of the alphabet in order to find the reference number.
The reference for any document is the number – what you see here has not been checked against the original and only covers items to ‘O’. As it stands, it simply gives you the researcher an idea of a resource that is not mentioned or rarely mentioned in lists of Irish genealogical resources.
Whilst the majority of th original documents may not be extant, the indices are still an extremely important resourse. To the best of my knowledge these have not yet been placed on microfilm.
21. Anderson, John – Certificate of his services in 23rd Dragoons
45. Artillery Royal permitted to exercise in the Phoenix Park
79. Adj. Genl Depy. – respecting blank routes
011. Armstrong, Captn. – Soliciting appointment of District Adjt. At Cork
016 Artillery Royal – Passage to the Colonies of the Wives of Soldiers of.
114. Adg. Genl. Depy – Blank Routes
121 Adj Genl. Depy. – Requesting a list of names & stations of Yeom Brigade Majors
135. Armit & Boroughs – Franking of remittances &c.
319. Adjt. Genl. Depy – requesting a supply of blank routes
321. Antrim Mila (Militia) Jas. S. Moore, Esq., Junr., appointed Captain in.
332 Antrim Mila (Militia) Resignation of Ensign Di?ckey.
332 Antrim Mila – Appointment of A. Dunlop Esq., ?vied?
17 Bryen, Henry – Enquiry requesting Billets
30. Beard, Geo., a Deserter committed to the Bridewell at Newry
60. Brennan, M. D. Article in Tralee Mercury resp Mila allowances &c.
901. Benson, Lieut. – Representation respecting the 50th Regt.
104. Byrne, Mr. Gunpowder Vender – Robbery of
130 Beresford, Lt. Col., discontinued as Asst. Lr. Master General
133. Burdett, Mrs. Applying for copies of correspondence between her and Mrs. Goulbarn
144. Billeting of the Troops – Circular letter respecting
147. Billets to be provided by the Constables of Parishes
177. Bingham, M. Genl. Sir George to command the troops during Sir. H. Vivian’s absence
209. Brown, Mrs. Rebecca – Enquiry respecting the property of Capn. Phillips 44th Foot.
210. Brown, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
212 Basworth, Private John. Attendance required at the Kilkenny Assizes
213. Brannon, Private, Thos. Sentence of transportation passed
227. Borehan, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
241. Brereton, Private Martin, false information of, respecting Mr. Going’s murder
240. Boyle, Edwd. – Transported for Desertion
244. Brady, Lieut., respecting the delay in issuing his half pay
259. Burke, Bridget – respecting her son John Burke
261.Bulkankle, Jas. Sentence of transportation against.
267. Brannon, Private, Thos. – Struck off the ?52nd (or 32nd) Foot
2601 Blacke, Richd. Application for a commuted allowance &c.
2901 Brown, Private Fredk. Court Martial upon
305 Buchan, Major Gen. Sir John appointed on the Staff protempore
307 Bishop, Lieut. Respecting his Mila half pay in the event of his joining Don Pedro’s Service.
314 Bat?lie, John. Praying for a pension
327 Blakeney, M. Genl. Sir E. appointed to command the Troops pre temporare
347 Bishop, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
12 Campbell, Sir Guy 2nd Mr Genl. March of troops to Cashel & elsewhere
30 Corry, Trevor. Report respecting Geo Beard a Deserter
37 Carlow Militia. Arms to be conveyed to Dublin
301 Campbell, M. Genl. Respecting Mily accommodation at Carndonagh
43 Cavan Mila. Agreement for hire of accommodation of
50 Carlow Mila. John J. Cornwall to be Major in
51 Cork North Mila. Mr. Temple French Esq., to be Lt. Colonel in
91 Collins, Winifred. Praying for a passage for her husband a Soldier
99 Convicts. Escort for an Route to Kingstown
115 Callegy, John. Claim to a pension
119 Creagan, Eleanor. Praying for a free passage to her son at Woolwich.
120 Cork – Local inspr of the Gaol acknowledging Mutiny Act.
144 Circular letter respecting the billeting of the Troops – Mr. Bell
163 Carmichael, Jas. Claim against Thos. Sheridan Pensioner.
1014 Commissary Genl. Contracts for fuel and candles for Barracks
199 Cunningham, John. Enlisted and discharged without paying the smart money
200 Cope, Mrs. Marriage Certificate.
202 Chaloner, Rd. Conduct of Private Lavery, 28th Foot.
205 Caroll, Private ?Sth. Transportation of
206 Cooney, Michael Private. Transportation of
211 Cust, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
224 cain, Private ?Stm. Sentence of – Transportation
229 Circular respecting Forage Allowances
231 Connell, Mary – Application for her husbands pension &c.
2401 Cowan, Wm. Respecting the sale of his half pay.
254 Chartrs, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
256 Cavan Mila. Appointments of Majrs. Thompson & Waring in
260 Carey, Capn. Tyrone Mila – Retired Allowance of.
261 Campbell, Robert – Sentence of Transporting Against.
276 Circular respecting Chelsea pensioners to Magistrates at Petty Sessions
277 Circular Respecting Chelsea Pensioners to inspr. Gen. Of Police
281 Clare Militia – appointment of a successor to Col. Sir J. ?Birtan
292 Cormick, Pat. Claim against the Officers of the S. Mayo Mila.
293 Campbell, ?Ds. William – Hospital Asst. Question respecting
302 Connolly, Michl. Claim to the effects of Pat & Ml. Connolly
304 Clare Militia – Reps. Cane & Co. appointed Agents to
3001Cole, Edwd. Sentence of Transportation against.
310 Chadwick, Lieut Peter – sale of his Commission in the Tipperary Mila.
311 Clare Mila. Conduct of Lieutenant Hodges
318 Cavan Mila. Mr. Thos. Young appointed Ensign in
320 Chelsea Hospital, Conduct of Elliott a Pensioner
329 Carter, Revd. H., Claim for officiating for the Troops at Carrickfregus
334 Clare Mila. Poole Hickman appointed Capt vice Griffin
S.G. Purdon do Patterson
Augustine Buller do Blood
Michl Finnucane do martin
3401 cane, Rd. Accommodation for paying Chelsea pensioners
354 Cheshire, Private Thos. Enquiry respecting
356 Circular – Suspension of the operation of that part of the Royal Warrant dated 14th Novr granting under certain conditions the discharge of Soldiers to pension at their own request.
359 Circular respecting the conveyance of Soldiers and their families by coasting Steam or canal conveyance.
365 circular respecting the rates for Fuel, Candles, Straw and Wood for the Troops in Ireland.
367 Circular respecting the rates of Allowance to general and other Staff Officers of infantry Regts in lieu of Forage for horses required to be kept by them.
19 Dowans, Edwd. Enquiry respecting his Son 23rd Welsh Fusiliers
22 Donnolan, Patk. Alledged debt due by 2nd Master Cooper Clare Mila
59 Drought, G.E.A. Soliciting compensation as a retired Billet Master
70 Down South Mila. Accommodation for Staff of
013 Down South Mila. Agreement respecting said Accommodation
0101Duggan, Mr. King’s duty on cart horses sold by
95 Darnly, Earl of. Acknowledging Circular respecting billeting of Troops
97 Dillon, Captn. Expenses incurred by as a magistrate &c.
104 Dillon, captn. Robbery of a Gunpowder vender at Tullamore
1001 Dunne, Geo. 32nd Foot. Enquiry respecting
125 Doherty, John – Debt of Lt. Curey, Tyrone Mila
129 Down Mila South – Arms and Accoutrements of
1401 Dalzell (Darbyell?) Saml. Schoolmr. Serjt. (Informations against)
156 Durneen, Eleanor – Applying for the Admission of her children into the Hibernian School
160 Doyle, C. Claim against the 60th Regt.
176 Daunt, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
192 Down North Mila. Appointment of Mr. Knox as captain
193 Daunt, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
212 Duffy, Corporal – Attendance required at the Kilkenny Azzises
214 Darley, Ensign – Attendance required at the Kilkenny Azzises
221 Dublin Co. Militia – Baron de Robeck appointed Major of
2301 Dublin Co. Militia. Claim for the rent of the premises occupied by the Staff and Stores of
245 Dunphy, Edwd. Claim for acting as a Billet Master
247 Despard, Fras. Report on the conduct of the 28th Regt.
2501 Doherty, Sarah on behalf of her husband a soldier sentenced to be transported
261 Duggan Jeremiah Sentence of – Transportation against
Doherty, Dennis. Sentence of – Transportation against
280 Dempsey, Anne – Claim as a Relative of Miller, a Bandman
3001 Drake, John. Sentence of Transportation against
309 Down South Mila. E. Matthews appointed to Lt. Colonel
313 Dwyer, John. Claim as a Billet Master
316 Douglas, M. Genl. Sir. Jas. Placed on the Staff of Ireland.
33. Earl Robt, Wexford, Mila praying for a Pension
105. Early, John Enquiry respecting a balance due to his son a soldier.
10101 Eightieth Foot. Mssrs Cane & Co., appointed Agents to.
215Eighty First Foot or Eighty fourth Foot to be embarked from Liverpool to Dublin
246. Eighty First Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Co, appointed Agents to.
296. East India Co. Service – Question as to Pensions of the
320. Elliot, Robt., Pensioner. Refusal to take the oath of Allegiance.
16 52nd Foot. Mssrs. Cane & Co., appointed Agents to.
28. 47th Foot. Disembarkation of
39.Forbes, Visct. Report respecting an attempt to rescue a Deserter.
40.FitzHarris, Thos. Application for Geo. Jephson’s discharge from the Army.
55. 43rd Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough appointed Agents to.
56. 47th Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough appointed Agents to.
67. 47th. Major Sadleir – Transmissoin of Routes & Returns.
131. 4th Dragoon Guards. Mssrs. Cane & Co. Appointed Agents to.
146. Finlay Private, 6th Dr. Guards. Maintenance of a Child sworn to.
164. Ford, Peter. Enquiry respecting his marriage.
1015. Fintown. Misconduct of the Innkeeper at in refusing to accommodate a Military Escort.
215. 14th Foot. To be embarked from Portsmouth to Cork.
250 14th Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough & Co., appointed Agents to.
251. Floyd, Edwd., Soliciting a Pension as a retired Corporal of Militia.
261. Filly, Denis alias Bourke alias O’Donnell sentence of transportation against.
266. Fannon, John. Claim to Pension negatived.
281. Fitzgerald & Vesey, Lord. Vacant Colonelcy of Clare Militia
291. Feeney, John. Petition of the Widow of.
296. Fenton, J. Conduct of Pensioners of the East India Co. Service.
341. Forster, Major Wm. F. appointed as Asst. Adjt. Genl. Vice Harris.
344. Fannon, John. Col. Lindsay’s Certificate returned to
364. Fraser Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
115. Gray, Saml., not considered eligible to a Yeomanry Commissoin
014. Gormley Revd., Mr. P.P. Claim for officiating in the Genl. Mily. Hospital
102. Griffith, Hugh. Private 66th Foot, application for relief.
161. Griffin, – convicted for having Fire Arms contrary to Law
161 also Gillespie, Joshua, recommending the disposal of said arms
167. Giddins, Thos. Applying for a Pension from the Chelsea Hospital
1016. General Order for granting Mily aid to Civil Power &C.
194. Griersan, Mssrs. Bill for ?Mutiny Acts &C.
196. Griffin, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
257. Goodwin, Mrs. Rebecca – Claim to the Pension of
263. Galligan, Bridget. Enquiry as to her marriage.
279. Gore, Patk., late Pensioner – respecting his pension.
2016. Good, S. Pensioner – Conduct of.
289. Granard – Conduct of the Chief Constable at – Escape of a Deserter.
323. Gibson, Revd. A., Claim for officiating for the Military.
331. Galway Mila. Mr. C. Le Poer French appointed Captain in.
353. Gordin, Henry, Respecting Corpl. H. Gordins’ effects.
23. Hanbury, SSm. Compensation as Billet Master in town of Galway
24 Hewt Corpl. 60th Foot. Enquiry respecting distribution of his effects
66. Hazlewood Geo.Soliciting compensation as a Militia Officer.
69 Hibernian School Excuse for Sir. Sm. Gossets non-attendance as a Governor of.
015 or 615. Hervey, Lt. 66th Foot, Claim for his Widow to a Pension
103. Heany, Robt. Claim for Rent due by a Pensioner
117. Heffernan Park. Claim for car hire for Provisions for 9th Foot.
152. Heyburn, John. Enquiry thro’ Recruiting Dept respecting.
153 Hemly, Captain. – Claim for expenses incurred as Magistrate.
165 Harvey, Lady. Case of as Washerwoman of the Royal Hospital
Hibernian School – Mr. Rays’ bequest to See. 110
1701. Hungate SSm. Enquiry respecting his being a Coll. In the Army.
1013 Hogan, Private, Henry – Confined for debt. – Liberated.
197. Hill – Jas. Claim as Billet Master of Kildare
206. Hawkins, John SSm. Private. Transportation of.
2001 Hall, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
222 Hughes John – Marriage of with Judith Robinson not considered legal.
225 Hales, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
264. Hart, Hugh – Certificate of his services required.
265 Hunt, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.
290 Hynes, Michael – Claim to pension
311 Hodges lieut. Ssm. Conduct of.
341 Harris Lt. Col. Asst. Adj. Genl. Succeeded by Major Forster
342 Hawkins SSm Trial before a Court Martial
343. Hizzard, Private Thos. Applicatino on behalf f the Son of.
350 Hare, Lt. Col. Military party required for the protection of Coroner & c.
40. Jephson , Geo. Requesting an application for his discharge from the army
73 Joyce, David – claim to property left by 2nd Master Lynch
169. Johnston, Alexr Meml to be restored to the ensoins List
203 Irwin Mrs. Marriage certificate of
216. Johnston, Private John. Attendance required at Clonmel Assizes
223 Jones Rees B? Laudable conduct in billeting troops &C.
273. Jordan, Wm. Claim for arrears of pay & Clothing
2015 Jones, Private J. Case of pistols sold by
322 Irvine, Jas. Requesting the half pay of the late Ensign Frederick
355 Johnstone, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.
7 Kerry Militia – Augmentation Major Crosbie proposed to fill vacant Majority
31 Kemmis ?Mssrs. Report respecting debt of J.L. right
72 Keehan, Ml. Petition to be restored to the Penson List
107 Kelly Thos. Late of 15 Foot. Enquiry respecting his Effects.
1101. Keown, Fids. Claim against John Lappan 64th Foot
147 Kinnegad – Refusal of the Parish to nominate a Billet Master at.
155. Kelly Troop 2nd Mr. 4th Dr. Guards – statements of his services required
190 Kenna Thos. Out Pensioner of the Queens Co. Militia – Complaint of.
206 Kitson, George Private, Transportation of
214 Kay, Robert Sergt Major. Attendance required at Kilkenny Assizes.
220 Kelly, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.
14 Leslie, Major Cong. Bl. Rifles, requesting permission to parade in Lower Castle Yard
34 Lally, Edwd. 10th Foot. Sentence to Transportation
35 Lee, SSm 28th Foot. Sentence to Transportation
47 Leitrim Militia. Lodgement in Ordnance Stores of the spare arms of
74 Leitrim Militia. Escort for Swords to be returned into Store
701 Londonderry Militia. Imprisonment of a Drummer for debt.
017 Leitrim Militia, Charges against Adjutant Cox
90 Londonderry Militia, Liability of House hired for, to taxation
96. Larkin, Pat. Complaining of a Canteen for the Militia at Oughterard
110 Lappan, John 64th Foot, Claim of Fras. Keown against
122 Lamb, Rose. Praying for a passage to her husband serving in 75th Foot.
134 Lalor, Pat. 52nd Foot. Conduct of
202 Lavery, Wm. Private 28th Foot. Assault on a Police Constable
253 Lindesay, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
284 Leitrim Militia. Claim of Serjt. Rutherford
286 Lorinan, N or M. Conduct of Good a Pensioner
301 Liddy, Patk. Claim to the effects of ?Timy Liddy, East India Co.
3001 Leitch, SSm. Sentence of Transportation against.
317. Lloyd, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.
4 Murray, Revd. ?Wm. Additional Allowance granted to
5 MacLean Major Genl. To succeed M. Genl. Smith Bl. Artillery
11. McClintock, Lieut. Repost respecting debt alledged to be due by him
26 Mily Secy. Mily party required to attend a public whipping at Galway
44 McDonald, Bernard, respecting prize money due to his brother
46 M. Genl. MacLean recommended for vacancy at the Board of the Royal Hospital
48 Murray Michl. Memorial to be restored to his Situation in the Engineers Dept.
52 Monaghan Milia. Col. Madden to be Col. Commandant
57 Military promotions and appointments in Ireland since 3rd Jany 832
501 Military promotions and appointments since 24th Janey 1832
60 McCartie, Mr. Charge against respecting Mila Compensation
61 Moffit, John. A minor discharged from 84th Regt.
Mily Secy. Report from on the abovementioned subject (discharge of Moffit, John)
62 Mily Promotions and Appointments in Ireland since 13th Feby 1832
64 Mahan Margt. Claim on the Forage Contractor to the Troops at Athlone
65 McDonald B. Prize Money
601 Monaghan Milia. Accomodation for Staff
96 Mily Secy. Report respecting a canteen car at Oughterard
100 Molloy, ?Arthur, not entitled to a pension
106. McMahon, John. Enquiry respecting Captain Cradock
111 McDermott, Geo. Late Pensioner 1st Foot, applying for relief etc.
112 McCraith, Patk respecting an annuity granted on account of his mother
126 Mily Secy. Illegal marriages of Soldiers of 92nd Foot (See 143)
1201 Mily Secy. Subsistence &c. of Soldiers wives & Children attacked with Cholera
130 Mily Secy Discontinuance on the Staff of Lieutenant Cols. Vincent & Beresford
137 Mily Secy. Order for burning the clothing of Soliers dying of the Cholera
138 Mily Secy. Transmitting Reports from Major Menzies 68th Foot to Capt Dillon64th
141 Mily Secy . Inconvenience attending the billeting of 4th Dr. Gds. At Newry
142 Moore, Hugh. Requesting Act for guidance of Billet masters
143 Mily Secy. Prosecution of Mr. Allen for illegally marrying soldiers
145 Mily Secy Transmitting reports from Major Madden & Capt Des Veux 50th Regt.
149 Mily Secy. Accommodation of Soldiers wives and Children attacked with Choler
150 Mily Secy. Removal of Military from the Penitentiary at Cork.
1501 Mily Secy Respecting the circulation of the General Orders for aiding the Civil Power
170 Madden, Private, Jas. Rate of Pension
174 Martin, rs. Marriage Certificate of
179 Military Acts, Circulation of
1010 McClerahan, Jas. Acts respecting Billet Markers required
1015 Mily Secy. Misconduct of an Innkeeper at Finntown
186. Mily Secy. Genl Order for granting Mily aid to the Civil Power & c.
195 Montgomerie, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
199 Miott (??), Jas. Discharge of a recruit enlisted by him without paying the smart money.
206 Martin, Jas alias SSm Thompson, Private. Transportation of
216 Moody, David & Peter. Attendance required at Clonmel Azzizes.
240 Mance, Thos. Transported for Desertion
242 McGee, Patkk. Complaint of a non-payment of his Pension
269. Mily Secy. Conduct of a Private of the 28th Foot at Callan
2701 McLeod, John Private, Transported
2013 McDuff, rs. Hannah. Supposed fraud in receiving her pension
280 Miller, Private 87th Foot. Claim of Anna Dempsey as a relative of.
289 Mily Secy. Conduct of the police Officers at Granard. Escape of a Deserter &c.
294 McDonald, Michael. Struck off the Pension List &c.
299 McGran, Jas. Praying to be placed on the Pension List.
303 McEllice, Private Chas. Attendance required at the Quarter Sessions
306 Mily Secy Attendance of Soldiers required at Clonmel
3001 Magennis, Patk. Sentenceof Transportation against.
309 Mathews, Echlin. Appointed Lt. Col. Of the Down Militia
312 McDermot, Fras. Enquiry respecting his service in the German Army
328 Meehan, John a Pensioner – Conduct of.
330 Mayo South Milia. Appointments of Mssrs. Orm & Palmer in
335 Mily Secy Grant of an additional allowance of 2 lbs of oats per ration to flases in billet?
337 McCoy SSm, Claim to Pension
Martin, SSm. Cliam to Pension.
339 Mily Secy. Transmitting letters from Major Parke & Capt O’Neill
340 Mily Secy Refusal of the Parish Priest of Boyle to officiate at the funeral of a Catholic Soldier of the 34th Foot.
342. Miller, Geo. Trial before a Court Martial
345 McGray, John – Claim to a Pension
349 Moore, Garret, acknowledging letter and sating that he has forwarded t to the ordnance Department
363 Mily Secy Hire of a magazine at Derry for the ammunition of 30th Regt.
366 Mottram, P.C. Enquiry respecting the Cheshire Militia
3601 Mathews, Private George – Application for his discharge.
31 Newport?Mssrs. Dividend on account of debt of T. L. Wright (see 89/33)
012 Needham, Henry. Enquiry from British War Office respecting
94 9th Foot not to be sent to Gibralter at present
107 Nowlan An. Effects of the late Thos. Kelly 15th Foot
159 New ?Ross, Sovereign of respecting the billeting of troops
215 90th Foot to b embarkd from Glasgow to Scotland
91st Foot To be embarqued from Liverpool to Dublin
232 Do Mssrs. Cane & Co. Appointed Agents to
274 Nowlan, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
3001 Noble John Sentence of Transportation against
360 Nester, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
101 Ordnance – Cooking Material supplied to Guard Houses
20 Ordnance – Ammunition for Longford Militia Staff
63 O’Halloran, Lt. Marriage certificate of the Widow of
019 O’Brien Lieut., 2nd. Vr. Batt. Claim of his widow to pension
96 Oughterard, Complaint against a Canteen Car for the Military at
113 Ordnance – Reception into Store of the Arms and deposited in the gaol at Dundalk
124 Ordnance Issue of Pistols for persons employed at the Gaol at Maryboro’
132 Ordnance – Reception into the Store of the surplus arms &c of the South Down Mila
172 Ormond, Marquis of, appointed Aid de Camp to the King
205 Oakley, Private John, Transportation of
2101 O’Neill, John Late private 64th Foot, Claim of the Widow of
230 Ordnance – Bedding for the Provost prison Dublin
239 Owen, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
366 Ordnance – Mr. Mothams ? enquiry respecting the Cheshire Mila was quartered in Richmond Barracks.