Ecclesiastical Remains, Co. Monaghan

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Sections of the County Monaghan Ordnance Survey Map (1909) – Sheet 3 showing the location of some churches and graveyards on this sheet

The following is extracted from ‘Archaeological Inventory of County Monaghan, compiled by Anna L. Brindley and published by the Stationary Office Dublin, 1986. ISBN 0 7076 0029 4. (Government Publications Sale Office, Sun Alliance House, Molesworth Street, Dublin 2) The Ordnance Survey map references are listed for each site and for most there is a date on which it was visited by the Archaeological team. This listing helps to give some idea of the location of older churches in Co. Monaghan, and whether or not there is anything left to be seen. There are other churches and graveyards which are also old in the county and many with standing headstones.

ANNAGHKILLY
Ordnance Survey: 12:14:4 (24.2, 6.5) ‘Graveyard (disused)’
Church Site: Local tradition of church and cemetery. No visible surface traces.
25th May 1983

ANNAHEAN
OS: 34:8:4 (71.7, 36.7) ‘Graveyard (disused)’
Cemetery. Circular area. Parts of stone with inscribed cross.
13th July 1984

CAMAGHY
OS: 33:4:3 (85.8, 59.7) ‘St. Molua’s Church’
Church (site) Pre-reformation parish church repaired in 1622 according to Royal Visitation Papers. (Leslie, 1929. pp. 222, 289)

CHURCH HILL
OS: 20:15:4 (46.8, 3.3) ‘Church (in ruins)’
Church: Foundations of a simple rectangular structure (c. 24.6m x c. 8,3m) aligned E-W with probable entrance in N. wall. On site of pre-Reformation church (Leslie, 1929. p. 289). Situated in sub-circular cemetery.
27th August 1968

CLONAMULLY
OS: 8:12:3 (86.7, 27.9)
Monastic Site: According to local tradition, a burial place. Pyramidal cross base now stands in field. Some years ago, portion of stone cross found while cutting drains here, subsequently reburied in the same area.
11th May 1983

CLONFAD
OS: 21:2:3 (40.6, 59.6)
Ecclesiastical Remains: Approximately circular area (101m N-S; 91m E-W) surrounded by artificial scarp. According to local information, human bones and four cross-inscribed stones have been found here.
27th March 1968

CROAGHAN
OS: 14:16:6 (89.0, 2.5)
Church: Foundations of plain rectangular structure (6.3m x 5m) oriented E-W, with entrance at W. Masses were said here formerly.
21st August 1968

CROSSMOYLE
OS 11:16: 3/6
Early Monastic Remains. Sixth-century foundation associated with St Tigernach. Church, Round, parts of two High Crosses , stone, house-shaped shrine and two cemeteries are the chief visible remains of an extensive area of early Christian activity. (Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries Ireland 1874-5, 327-40; Harbison 1970, 200)
8-6-1983

DONAGH
OS 7:9:1 (2.7, 26.8) ‘Church (in ruins)’
Church and Cemetery Reputedly Patrician foundation. Ruins of plain rectangular structure, pyramidal cross-base, portion of wheeled cross and cup-marked stone. Almost complete unpierced wheeled cross and metal processional cross (latter in National Museum Ireland) found in nearby bog. (Leslie 1929,172,289; Ulster Journal Archaeology 1939,26–8;
Proceedings Royal Irish Academy XXXIII C (1916–17),6–8)
6th May 1983

DONAGHMOYNE
OS 28:15:4 (50.9,3.6) ‘Church (site of)’
Church (site) Church reputedly founded by Victor, who was made its bishop by St Patrick. Shrine of St Adamnan removed from here in AD 830. Rebuilt in 1641 after being ruinous in 1622. No visible surface traces. (Leslie 1929, 175-6, 289)
25th June 1984

DRUMARD
OS 11:8:5 (79.8,33.5) ‘Church (in ruins), Graveyard (disused)’
Church Plain rectangular structure (9m x 4.6m) of roughly coursed and mortared stones, aligned E-W. At least one window in S wall. No trace of entrance. In oval cemetery (33m N-S; 37.5m E-W) surrounded by low bank.
26th March 1968

DRUMSWORDS
OS 17:9:2 (13.2,28.7) ‘Church (in ruins), Graveyard’
Church Plain rectangular structure (20m X 7m) aligned E-W with entrance, now blocked, in W gable wall. Two windows in N wall, one in E wall, three in S wall, all round-headed with key-stones. (UJA 1938, 140-1)
23rd May 1983

GALLAGH
OS 14:7:4 (51.8,34.2) ‘Church (in ruins)’
Church Site of pre-Reformation church (Leslie 1929, pp.149-50). According to some sources, earliest church stood W of road which bounds present graveyard at W. Square tower with round-headed doorways, probably of seventeenth century date.
20th August 1968

INISHKEEN GLEBE
OS 29:14:4 (29.1,5.6) ‘Round Tower, Church Grave Yard’
Monastic Remains Sixth-century foundation associated with St Daig, who died AD 587 (Leslie 1929, pp.210, 287; Livingstone 1980, 25). Portion of Round Tower in cemetery, no other visible surface traces.
29th June 1984

KILLEEVAN GLEBE
OS 12:14:5 (38.0, 1.1) ‘Graveyard’
Church W gable wall and fragments of N and S walls of simple rectangular structure (13m x 6m); aligned E-W, stand in approximately circular graveyard. (UJA 1940, 72-3)
19th June 1968

KILMURRY
OS 28:8:2 (80.4, 40.2)
Church Indicated on Down Survey (1591). Foundation and W gable wall of simple stone and mortar rectangular structure (17.5m NE-SW; 6m NW-SE). Low plinth (2.5m x 0.5m) abuts wall at S corner. No visible trace of entrance. Immediately
NW and parallel to this structure are traces of a second, slightly smaller, rectangular building (min.L 11m NE-SW; W 4m NW-SE). (Leslie 1929, pp.176,289)
27th June 1984

KILNAHALTAR
OS 9:10:4 (27.5,17.5) ‘St. Aidan’s Church’
Monastic Remains According to Royal Visitation Papers, church of St Aidan was ruinous in 1622 (Leslie 1929,216,289). From W-N remains of high, artificial scarp (H 4m) with external fosse (W at base, 3m) and external bank (H c. 2m). Two bullaun stones present.
26th November 1984

LATTON
OS 13:12:4 (72.0,18.8)
Church Foundation of apparently L-shaped structure possibly representing undivided nave and chancel with annexe aligned either N-S with annexe at E or E-W with annexe at N (internal L 12m E-W; min. L 6m N-S, W at N 4.2m; at E c. 3m).
4th April 1984

MAGHEROSS
OS 31:6:5 (34.4,32.2) ‘Church (in ruins)’
Church and Cemetery Monastery is recorded as having been burnt in AD 685. Inscription in tower of present structure states ‘this church was ruined in the Rebellion of 1641 and rebuilt in the year 1682’. Rectangular building with well-preserved square
tower surmounted by conical cap at W. Entrance through N wall of tower, Walls show signs of rebuilding. Stands in oval cemetery. (ITA Survey 1940)
17th July 1984

MOYLE MORE
OS 23:7:3 (69.0, 40.0) ‘Christ Church’
Church (site) State Papers for Ireland (March 1628/9) refer to church of Aughnamullan. The present church is of eighteenth and nineteenth century date. (Leslie 1929,pp. 118,289; CR 1957, 98, 108)
4th April 1984

MULLAGHMONAGHAN/ROOSKY (Part of)
OS 9:11:6
Friary Franciscan Friary founded in 1462, possibly on site of ancient abbey. Destroyed in mid-sixteenth century and used as source of building material for
later castle.

MULLANACROSS
OS 3:7:2 (54.8,44.9) ‘Church (in ruins)’
Church (Parish: Errigal Trough) Gable walls and foundations of side walls of plain rectangular structure aligned E- W. Present entrance through E wall modern. Large window in W wall may be original. In ruins by 1622 according to Royal Visitation Papers (Leslie 1929, pp.196, 289). Two carved heads, bracket coping and sheela-na-gig now in Ulster Museum.
28th April 1983

MULLANACROSS
OS 13:1:1 (4.5,53.4) ‘Graveyard’
Church (site) and Cemetery (Parish: Drumsnat) Founded by St Mo Lua in sixth century .Associated with the now lost Book of Drumonat. In ruins by 1622 according to Royal Visitation papers (Leslie 1929, p.187). Parts of two corbels
with heads and chamfered door jamb but no other traces visible.
28th November 1984

MULLANAROCKAN
OS 6:14:2 (34.6, 10.0) ‘Church (site of), Graveyard’
Church (site) (Parish: Tedavnet) Traditionally seventh-century foundation associated with St Dympna. Small portion of wall said to belong to early church now incorporated in funerary monument, probably of fairly recent construction. Visitation
Papers describe church as ruinous in 1622 (Leslie 1929, pp. 257 ,290). Stands in subrectangular cemetery containing cup-marked stone.
3rd May 1983

RACKWALLACE
OS 14:5:3 (18.2,45.3)
Church Foundations of plain rectangular structure (15m x 4m), aligned E-W with internal partition wall, may belong to church possibly built in 1622 (Leslie 1929, p. 233). Skeleton found N of cemetery may indicate that it was originally more extensive.
22nd August 1968

SELLOO
OS 8:11:5 (59.1, 21.9) ‘Children’s Burial Ground’
Monastic Remains Large, approximately circular area surrounded by low artificial scarp now only faintly visible and enclosing small subrectangular area surrounded by boulderfaced wall. Portion of decorated shaft of stone cross and parts of several
quern-stones, cross-base, bullaun stone and bones recorded from smaller enclosure
10th May 1983

SHANTONY
OS 27:1:5 (10.0,46.6) ‘Abbey (in ruins)’
Monastic Remains According to tradition, site of abbey and school destroyed in Cromwellian times (Leslie 1929,p. 289; IFC Schools’ MSS 940,57-8). The
present structure appears to be an eighteenth-century summer-house.

TEMPLETATE
OS 10:5:2 (11.5,41.8) ‘St. Cilian’s Church, Graveyard’
Church (site) Foundations of church said to have been founded by St Patrick or one of his followers (IFC Schools’ MSS 951, 155). Situated S of present 1788 church, in circular graveyard

TEMPLETATE
OS 12:7:3 (67.6,42.5)
Church (site) According to local tradition, church stood here fonnerly. Burials took place here until nineteenth century (IFC Schools’ MSS 945,151; 946,
58).

TERRYGEELY
OS 14:13:2/3 (15.9,8.0) ‘St. Patrick’s Church, Graveyard (disused)’ Church (site) (Parish: Tullycorbet) Site of pre-Reformation church (Leslie 1929, pp.254, 289). Royal Visitation Papers (1622) state that church was repaired. Corner portion of gable coping with carved head lying in cemetery may be of fifteenth century date
22nd August 1968

Possible Churches

CAPRAGH
OS 31:3
Monastic Site (possible) Tradition of monastic site and cemetery at mouth of stream into Capragh Laugh. (ITA Survey 1940; Leslie 1929, 289) No remains visible.
12th July 1984

KILLARK
OS 34:7:2 (57.0, 43.0)
Church (possible, site) According to local tradition, site of ancient church.

KILLYCOONAGH
OS 12:14:1 (28.8,7.8)
Convent (possible, site) Rectangular area surrounded by low stone walls. According to local tradition, site of convent burnt in 1703 (IFC Schools’ MSS 950,201; 473).
27th May 1983

KILLYKESKEAME
OS 12:11:3
Church (possible, site) According to local information, church stood here prior to Cromwellian times (IFC Schools’ MSS 951,325). Not located.
22nd May 1983

Caldraghs, Cemeteries, Killeens

ANNY
OS 23:3:3 (63.1,57.8)
Cemetery Large, irregular but approximately circular area surrounded by artificial scarp from W-N-E and field banks from E-S-W. Rectangular enclosure with words’ Ancient Burial Ground’ marked on 1835 OS map, but not now visible.
4th April 1984

CARRICKANURE
OS 14:15:5 (60.9,5.0)
cemetery Rectangular area (23m X 13m), orientated ESR-WNW , covered with stones. According to local information, a cemetery.
23rd August 1968

CORGREAGH
OS 26:12:3 (87.8, 23.2) ‘Graveyard ( disused)’
Cemetery Irregularly shaped area (c.91m NE-SW; 111.5m NW-SE) enclosed by stone-faced artificial scarp. At S a D-shaped area (22.5m NE-SW) is surrounded by low bank with entrance at N. According to local tradition, bones found in main enclosure during cultivation but smaller enclosure has not been disturbed.
13th September 1967

CORLAT
OS 27:1:6 (18.8,52.3) ‘Killahean Graveyard’
Cemetery Marked’ Ancient Burial Ground’ on 1835 OS map. Rectangular area surrounded by stone-faced artificial scarp, containing eighteenth- and
nineteenth-century headstones and many unmarked ones. Small stone-walled enclosure (8m square) with entrance in mid-NW wall lies in centre of cemetery.
5th April 1984

CROSSBANE
OS 17:5:6 (22.6,33.6) ‘Caldragh
Cemetery Oval area (96m NNW-SSE; 69.5m ENE-WSW) surrounded by artificial scarp and bank with external fosse. Entrance at SE.
18th September 1968

DRUMGRISTIN
OS 32:1:4 (3.7,47.2) ‘Caldragh Grave Yard (site of)’
Cemetery Part of artificial scarp visible from S-W-N. Tradition of bones and headstones found during ploughing. St Derrig said to have had a monastery here. (IFC Schools’ MSS 932, 105, 325; Leslie 1929, p.289)

EDERGOLE
OS 18:13:1/2 (7.7 ,8.4)
Cemetery Raised, approximately circular cemetery .No visible traces of church although one may exist. (Irish Schools’ MSS 944, 266)
2nd April 1968

FARAGHY
OS27:10:1(27.7,26.1)
Enclosure Subrectangular area surrounded by low, narrow, grass-covered wall foundation at ENE and SE and by steep scarp with traces of stone facing at
SW and NW .Corners well rounded. No visible surface trace of fosse. Entrance at SSE.
3rd August 1967

GOLANDUFF
OS 17:1:4 (1.6,46.5)
Cemetery (site) Known locally as ‘Kilderry’. Small but prominent elongated drumlin in wet area. No visible surface features.
22nd June 1983

GORTGRANARD
OS 17:1:3 (17.3,56.0)
Cemetery (site) Known locally as children’s burial ground (ITA Survey 1940). Circular area (c. 14.6m) surrounded by earthen bank with external fosse.

KILCORRAN
OS 8:10:6 (41.8,16.8) ‘Graveyard (disused)’
Cemetery Circular area (D 18m), surrounded by earthen bank, in which burials have taken place.
20th October 1967

ROOSKY (Part of) (ED Monaghan)
OS 9:11:6 (63.1,19.8)
Cemetery Burials uncovered during construction of public facilities in Church Square, Monaghan town, in 1940s.

SHANE
OS 24:3:6 (65.5, 52.0) ‘Graveyard’
Cemetery Rectangular, slightly raised area (23.4m NE-SW; 27. 7m NW-SE) enclosed by foundations and remains of wall faced with slabs set on edge. Slab-lined entrance in mid-SE side. Contains grave markers, chiefly lines of small stones and several
thin slabs. According to tradition, used in Penal and Famine times (IFC Schools’ MSS 938,257).
16th May 1984

SLIEVEROE
OS 13:15:4 (52.9, 49.7) , An Caldragh Grave Yard (site of)’
Cemetery (site) Traces of earthen bank visible at E and W. Charcoal, stones and burnt bone have been observed in soil.
10th September 1968

URLISH
OS 3:2:2 (36.0, 53.8)
Cemetery {site) Small square enclosure known locally as graveyard where bones have been found (ITA Survey 1940; Leslie 1929, p.290).

Possible Caldraghs, Cemeteries, Killeens

INISHDEVLIN
OS 6:3:5 (56.2, 45.2)
Cemetery (possible) Known locally as ‘Caldragh’ or ‘Mound’. Oval mound with traces of bank (L 38.5m, W 28m). Rabbit burrow produced charcoal, thirty-six pieces of slag and part of possible crucible

KILCREEN
OS 8:7:5 (58.9, 32.7)
Burial (possible) According to local tradition, grave with bones found in tree-ring here.
20-10-1967

KILLATTEN
OS 8:4:5 (82.0, 46.0) Cemetery (possible) According to local information
several burials found in disused sand pit.

LANTAUR
OS 19:5:1
Cemetery (possible). Now used as a field. Once belonged to Tullycorbett Church. No burials here within living memory. (IFC Schools’ MSS 938,365)

RACAULFIELD
OS:17:5:1
Cemetery (possible site). Believed locally to be a cemetery. Approximately oval, level area (c.37mx c. 46m).

SHANMULLAGH
OS: 14:13
Cemetery (possible). Reference to field called ‘Caldra’ (IFC Schools MSS 936, 6). This suggests a former cemetery.

Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/ecclesiastical-remains-monaghan/">Ecclesiastical Remains, Co. Monaghan</a>

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
0Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0