Introduction: transcribed from 'Cumber Presbyterian Church and Parish by Revd John Rutherford' pub 1939 and posted to the NIR-DERRY-L by Rachel Dysert, this page has ben created with her permission.
Article: Cumber Yeomanry Cavalry
The famous Volunteer force collapsed somewhat abruptly and ignominiously in 1793; and a militia force was the only safeguard of peace in the country which was seething with sedition and evidently heading for rebellion. In 1796 a yeomanry force, cavalry and infantry, officered by local gentlemen was raised for preserving order. The cavalry force was disbanded in 1814 and the infantry gradually lapsed and ceased to exist in 1834. The Yeomanry was employed in in the rebellion of 1798 and earned an unenviable reputation for harshness and cruelty. The force was controlled by Government by whom the officers were appointed; and the men were clothed and equipped by the estate and also were paid for nine days drill and when called up for permanent duty. The horses of the cavalry belonged to the men serving. The uniform of the officers was :- Red cloth , yellow facings, swallow tail; gilt brass chain epaulettes and grenade badge; embossed gilt buttons which bore the name of the Corps. The uniform of the rank and file was:- Tunic , red cloth, blue facings, and silver braid; rows of braid across the front and lines and loops on the back. Buckskin breeches; buttons bore name of Corps. The following is the monthly return of the Cumber Cavalry for 1797 .
Captain David Ross
1st Lieut Michael Ross
2nd Lieut Michael Ross junior
Mc Olly Wm
Morrison James Jun