|KILLYMARD, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, on the western side of the town of Donegal, from which it is a separated by the river Esk ; containing 4798 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey (including a detached portion), 28,230 statute acres, of a which 472.25 are in Lough Esk and 202.25 in smaller loughs : about 18,000 are barren mountain and waste land.
The principal seats are Lough Esk, the residence of T. Brooke, Esq., and Rosselongan, of R. Steele, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, forming the corps of the prebend of Killymard in the cathedral of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £276. 18s. 5 .50 d. per ann. The late Board of First Fruits, in 1830, granted a loan of £800 for the erection of the church, and in 1816, gave £200 and lent £600 for the erection of the glebe-house, which has a glebe of 643 statute acres, valued at £205 per annum.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small chapel.
Here is also a place of worship for Presbyterians of the seceding Synod, and one for Wesleyan Methodists.
About 440 children are educated in six public schools, to one of which Mr. Murray, of Broughton, gives £5 annually ; and 20 are educated in a private school.
Here is a fine sulphureous spa of great efficacy in cutaneous diseases, over which Mr. Murray, its proprietor, has erected a pump-room, and hot, cold, and shower-baths.