Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Aglish
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Aglish
  • Content
    AGLISH, a parish; partly in the barony of BARRETS, but chiefly in that of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Cork city; containing 2782 inhabitants.

    It is situated on the south bank of the river Lee, between it and the river Bride, which winds pleasantly on its southern border; and contains 6701 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6527 per annum, 5000 acres are arable, 1481 are pasture, 150 are woodland, and 70 are waste land and bog. The land is generally fertile, and the state of agriculture is improving; irrigation is practised very advantageously on the grass lands. On the south side of the parish lies an extensive marsh, reclaimable at a small expense.

    The gentlemen's seats are Curihaly, that of H. Penrose, Esq.; Farren Lodge, of S. Penrose, jun., Esq.; Elm Park, of Valentine Barry, Esq.; and Rose-Mount, of W. Hawkes, Esq. Here is a station of the constabulary police.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop, the rectory is partly impropriate in P. Cross, of Shandy Hall, Esq., and partly appropriate to the prebend of Kilbrogan in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork. The tithes amount to £573-3s.-11 .75 d., of which £152-6s-1 .75 d., is payable to thc impropriator, £379-1s.- 1d., to the prebendary, and £41-16s-9d., to the vicar. The church is in ruins, and until it can be rebuilt divine service will continue to be pcrformed in a house licensed by the bishop. There is no glebe-house.

    In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ovens: the chapel is a large old plain building.

    Besides the parochial school for boys and girls, a school in which are about 60 boys is partly supported by an annual donation of £8-8s.-0d., from Mr. Rye : there are also two other pay schools.
  • Place
    Aglish
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Aglish
  • Content
    AGLISH, a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Milltown, on the north-east side of the river Laune, and on the road from Killarney to Milltown; containing 1901 inhabitants.

    It comprises 4924 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the greater part of the land is of the best quality and chiefly under tillage, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years; there are about 100 acres of bog. At Barleymount is a quarry of excellent building stone, from which the stone was taken for Lord Headley's mansion at Aghadoe.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cork, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £156 18s. 4.50d., one-half of which is payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar. The church is a neat structure, with an octagon tower on a square base, and for its erection the late Board of First Fruits gave £600, in 1822. The glebe-house was built about the same time, the Board having granted a gift of £337 and a loan of £142 the glebe comprises 14a. 3r. 1p.

    In the R. C. divisions the parish is included in the union or district of Fieries ; the old chapel is disused, and a chapel was built within the last fourteen years at Ballyhar, on the border of this parish, but within the limits of the parish of Kilcredane.

    A school, in which are 50 boys and 6 girls, is supported by Lord Kenmare ; and there is a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls. Immediately adjoining the church are the remains of the ancient structure; completely mantled with ivy, and forming an interesting appendage.
  • Place
    Aglish
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Aglish
  • Content
    AGLISH or AGLISHMARTIN, a parish, in the barony of IVERK county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Waterford, on the river Suir, and on the road from Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 401 inhabitants, of which number, 142 are in the village.

    It comprises 2414 statute acres, and is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £96:18:5 1/2d . There is neither church nor glebe-house; the glebe consists of 2 1/2 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Moncoin.
  • Place
    Aglish
  • County
    Waterford
  • Parish
    Aglish
  • Content
    AGLlSH, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-within-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Dungarvan; containing 3689 inhabitants, of which number, 302 are in the village.

    This parish is situated on the river Blackwater, by which it is bounded on the west, and comprises about 7800 statute acres of arable, pasture, and meadow land, 810 of woodland, 1393 of waste, and 1296 of bog and marsh, the greater portion of which affords good pasturage for cattle: of its entire extent, 6706 acres are applotted under the tithe act. Part of it is mountainous, but towards the river the soil is generally fertile.

    It is in the diocese of Lismore, and is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Affane ; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £480, of which £320 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. There is a chapel at Villierstown independent of the vicarage, founded and endowed by John, Earl of Grandison ; the living is a donative, in the patronage of H. V. Stuart, Esq.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parish of Whitechurch and part of the parish of Ardmore, and contains three chapels, situated respectively at Aglish, Ballynamileach, and Slievegrine also a friary chapel.

    There are two schools, supported by H. V. Stuart, Esq., in which 183 children are instructed; and five pay schools, in which are about 220 boys and 85 girls.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>