Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Annagh
  • County
    Cavan
  • Parish
    Annagh
  • Content
    ANNAGH, or BELTURBET, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER LOUGHTEE, but chiefly in that of TULLAGHGARVEY, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Ballyconnell to Cavan town ; containing, with the greater part of the market and post-town of Belturbet, 12,269 inhabitants.

    It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 19,145 .25 statute acres, of which 12,340 are in Tullaghgarvey; about 16,000 are arable and pasture, 2000 are bog and waste, 300 are woodland, and 200 are common: of its entire area, 14,936 acres are applotted under the tithe act.

    The principal seats are Castle Saunderson, the residence of A. Saunderson, Esq.; Erne Hill, of G. M. Knipe, Esq.; Clover Hill, of J. Saunderson, Esq.; and Red Hill, of ?? White, Esq.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of Lord Farnham : the tithes amount to £384. 4s. 7.50d. The church is a handsome edifice, for the repairs and enlargement of which the late Board of First Fruits granted £2600, in 1812 and 1814; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted :£112 for its further repair. The glebe-house was purchased by aid of a loan of £844, in 1810, from the same Board ; the glebe comprises 400 acres. In 1818, forty-seven townlands of the parish were disunited, to form the perpetual cure of Killoughter.

    This parish is divided into the two R. C. districts of Annagh West and Annagh East; or Killoughter, the former containing a chapel at Drumalee, and the latter at Red Hill,

    There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, one of which belongs to the Primitive class.

    A school is supported by the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; and there are schools at Drumlaney, Killoughter, and Drumloor ; also an infants' and two other schools, besides six private pay schools. The ruins of the old church yet exist.
  • Place
    Annagh
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Annagh
  • Content
    ANNAGH, or ST. ANNA, a parish, in the barony of TRUGHENACKMY; county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 6.25 miles (W.S.W.) from Tralee ; containing, with the town of Blennerville, 8258 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is situated on the bay of Tralee, and on the high road from Tralee to Dingle, extends for some miles between a chain of mountains and the sea, and comprises 17,961 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about 11,400 of which consist of rough mountain pasture, and the remainder of arable land.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and forms part of the union of Ballynahaglish: the tithes amount to £382. 6s. 1d. The church, situated in the town of Blennerville, is a neat modern structure with a square tower; and about half a mile distant are the ruins of the old church, with the burial-ground, in which is a stone bearing a rude effigy of an armed horseman. There is neither glebe nor glebe-house.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is included in the unions of Tralee and Ballmacelligot; the chapel is at Curragheen, 14 miles to the west of Blennerville.

    A school is supported by the R. C. clergyman; and at Curragrague is one under the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; in which, together, are about 110 boys and 110 girls.
  • Place
    Annagh
  • County
    Mayo
  • Parish
    Annagh
  • Content
    ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants.

    This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St. Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440.

    The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog.

    Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq.

    A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis.

    It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11.

    The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan.

    The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine.

    There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 280 girls.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>