Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Ballintemple
  • County
    Cavan
  • Parish
    Ballintemple
  • Content
    BALLINTEMPLE, a parish , in the barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 6.75 miles (S. by W.) from Cavan town, containing with part of the town of Ballinagh, 4982 in habitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Virginia to Killyshandra, and comprises according to the Ordnance survey, including 54.50 under water, 10,7657.75 statute acres, of which 8074 are applotted under the tithe act.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and forms part of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilmore; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Richard, Earl of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £259, of which £104 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. The church was erected in 1821 by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 103a. 1r. 29p. of unprofitable lands, valued at £83 13s. 10d., per annum.

    The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the established church: there are three chapels, called respectively the upper and lower chapels and the chapel of ease.

    The parochial school and two others afford instruction to about 180 boys and 60 girls; and there are also three private pay schools, in which are about 170 boys and 50 girls.
  • Place
    Ballintemple
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
    Ballintemple
  • Content
    BALLINTEMPLE, a parish, in the barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of Munster, 6 miles N.E. from Tipperary (town), on the road to Thurles; containing 786 inhabitants.

    It comprises about 3600 statute acres, principally under an improved system of tillage.

    Dundrum, the handsome seat of Viscount Hawarden, who is proprietor in fee of the barony, is beautifully situated in a fine demesne, comprising more than 2400 statute acres, of which nearly 800 are well planted; the grounds are tastefully laid out, and there is a profusion of fine old timber on the estate.

    A new line of road from Dundrum to Cappaghmore is in progress, which will there unite with a road to Limerick, and thus open a more direct line of communication with that city, by which a saving of about 5 miles will be effected in the distance. At the junction of this road with that from Thurles to Tipperary, and at the base of the Kilnemanagh hills, is situated the modern village of Dundrum or Newtown-Dundrum. Fairs are held here at Whitsuntide, and on the second Tuesday in October; and it is a station of the constabulary police.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, to which the rectories and vicarages of Rathlynan, Oughterleague, and Kilpatrick were united by act of council in 1795, forming the union of Ballintemple, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of the parish amount to £240, and of the benefice to £726 9s. 2 .75d. The church is a plain modern edifice, situated nearly in the centre of the union. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 20 acres.

    Here is a Roman Catholic chapel.

    Near Dundrum is a school for both sexes, supported by Viscount Hawarden, with a house and garden; and there is another school aided by private subscriptions, together affording instruction to about 220 children; also a dispensary.
  • Place
    Ballintemple
  • County
    Wicklow
  • Parish
    Ballintemple
  • Content
    BALLINTEMPLE, a parish in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4.50 miles (N. W. by N.) from Arklow; containing 1021 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Arklow to Carlow, and on the river Derry, which meets the Ovoca at the Wooden Bridge hotel in the village, thence called the second 'Meeting of the Waters.' The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving. Some of the streams descending from the mountain Croghan-Kinshela, which towards the close of the last century was explored for gold, run through this parish; and shafts have been sunk for copper, with a prospect of success, though they are stopped at present from a disputed claim to the royalty between the Earl of Carysfort and the Marquess of Ormonde.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, and in the patronage of William Brian, Esq. : the tithes amount to £103. 16s. 11d. The church, built by aid of a gift of £800 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816, is in a state of dilapidation from the dry rot. The glebe-house commands a beautifully picturesque view of the woods of Ballyarthur and Knockname, and from the upper grounds is an extensive and pleasing prospect over the Vale of Ovoca: the glebe comprises 2.50 acres.

    In the R. C. divisions the parish is included in the union or district of Arklow ; the chapel is at Ballycowgue, and attached to it is a school. The parochial school is supported by weekly payments from the children. There is also a hedge school. In the centre of the parish is an ancient cemetery.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>