Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentBALLYDELOUGHY, or BALLYLOUGH, a parish, in the barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and. province of MUNSTER, 1.50 miles (E. by N.) from Doneraile; containing 718 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated near the river Funcheon, and on the south of the road from Doneraile to Mitchelstown, comprises 1200 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1891 per ann.: the soil is good, and limestone exists in abundance. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Glanworth in the cathedral of Cloyne; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore. The tithes amount to £159. 16s. 0.50d. of which £69. 19s. 5 .50d. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The ruins of the church still remain in the burial-ground.
In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Glanworth: the chapel is at Ballyndangan. About 50 children are educated in a private school. The late Rev. John Kelleher, P. P. of Glanworth, bequeathed £50 towards the erection of a school-house at Ballyndangan, in aid of which an application will be made to the National Board.
About a quarter of a mile to the north of the ruins of the church are those of the ancient castle of Ballylough. Ballyndangan the ancient seat of the family of Terry, is now occupied as a farm-house.