Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook13Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Ballymoney
  • County
    Antrim
  • Parish
  • Content
    BALLYMONEY, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the north-east liberties of COLERAINE, county of LONDONDERRY, and partly in the barony of KILCONWAY, but chiefly in that of UPPER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 35 miles (N.W.) from Belfast city , and 119 miles (N. by W.) from Dublin; containing 11,579 inhabitants, of which number, 2222 are in the town.

    This place was anciently the head of one of those Irish districts called Tuoghs, which were similar to the present baronies; and in agrant from the crown, by which it was given to Alexander Mac Donnel, it was designated Tuogh Ballymoney,that is, "the district of the town in the bog," part of it at present being situated on a bog several feet in depth,

    The parish is bounded on the west by the river Bann, which passes within three miles of the town, and is intersected by the road from Belfast city to Derry city. The town is built upon an eminence, and from its situation is considered healthy: a new line of mail coach road is now being constructed to pass through it, and in every respect it is rapidly improving. A new road has been opened across the Garry bog leading to Ballycastle and the Giant's Causeway, and a bridge has been lately erected over the river Bann at Agivey; about three miles distant, opening a direct communication with the county and city of Derry, county Tyrone, and other places. Races were formerly held here and were in high repute; but they have been discontinued for some years, and a steeple chase for a gold cup has been substituted, which takes place in the middle of December.

    The trade consists principally in the sale of linens manufactured in the neighbourhood, for which this town is, next to Ballymena, the chief depot. The linen market has long been established, and is eminent for the superior quality of the goods sold here. Though much less extensive than it was, it is still very considerable: from 15,000 to 20,000 double pieces are annually sold, and on the first Thursday in every month large quantities of seven-eighths linen, of various qualities, are sold here, principally for the London market, under the name of "Coleraines," being purchased and bleached by the persons engaged in that trade. Some years since, the finer pieces sold at very high prices, generally from 7sh to 8sh. per yard, and some of the finest webs at 10s. 6d. per yard. There are two markets every month for low-priced brown linens, three quarters of a yard wide, which are sent to England and America: but the demand for these latter goods have decreased. A very extensive trade is carried on in grain, butter, pork, and general provisions.

    The market for grain was first established in 1820 ; but for want of encouragement it languished for a time and was discontinued; in 1831 it was revived, and the new market-place was appropriated to its use, and stores were built by Messrs. McEldeny & Co., for the use of which and for weighing they are entitled to one penny per sack; a considerable quantity of oats is sent to Liverpool, London, and other English markets, and some are consumed in a distillery near the town. The market for provisions was established about the year 1790, and has since been gradually increasing and is now largely supplied: about 4000 carcases of pigs are generally sold during the season, which are principally cured at home for the Liverpool and other English markets; they were formerly all sent to Belfast, and a considerable number are still purchased by the curers of that place.

    A public crane was established under the provisions of an act of the 52nd of Geo. III. In the market for butter about 10,000 casks are generally disposed of during the season, the greater part of which is shipped off from Portrush, about 9 miles distant, for Liverpool. There are a soap and candle and a tobacco manufactory, a tanyard, and a large brewery in the town ; and at Moore Fort, about 3 miles distant, is a very extensive distillery belonging to James Moore, Esq., in which from 50,000 to 60,000 gallons of whiskey are annually made, there is also a mill for spinning flax, and a very extensive flour-mill. A branch of the Belfast city banking company has been established here. The trade of the town is susceptible of great increase, from its favourable situation in the centre of a rich tract of country, without any markets nearer to it than Ballymena on the one side, and Coleraine on the other. There is, however, but little facility of water carriage, the river Bann not being navigable above Coleraine, nor below Portna. The general market is on Thursday; and fairs are held annually on May 6th, July 10th, and Oct. 10th.

    A chief constabulary police station has been fixed here. The manorial court for the barony of Dunluce is held in the town on the first Friday in every month; petty sessions are held every alternate Thursday; and the quarter sessions for the county are held here and at Ballymena alternately. The court-house or town-hall, the property of Lord Mark Kerr, is situated in the centre of the town; and the bridewell, recently built, contains seven cells, with day rooms and airing-yards adapted to the classification of prisoners, and apartments for the keeper.

    The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 23,108 3/4 statute acres, of which 21,736 1/2 are in Upper Dunluce, and 753 1/4 in Kilconway; 18,367 are applotted under the tithe act; about 500 acres are woodland, 2225 bog, 59 1/2 water, and the remainder principally arable land. The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture greatly improving , the principal crops, till within the last few years, were barley and oats, of which last great quantities are still grown in the neighbourhood; but the cultivation of wheat has been recently introduced, and is rapidly increasing; abundant crops are now raised and begin to form a material portion of the corn trade. Coal and iron stone are found in abundance at O'Hara Brook; and there are medicinal springs on several parts of the estate.

    The principal seats are O'Hara Brook, that of C. O'Hara, Esq. ; Leslie Hill, of J. Leslie, Esq.; Ballynacree, of Sampson Moore, Esq; Moore Fort, of J. Moore, Esq.; Greenville, of J. R. Moore, Esq.; Stranocum, of J. Hutchinson, Esq.; and Vine Cottage, of J. Thompson, Esq.

    The parish comprises the ancient parishes of Ballymoney, Dunlap, Kilmoil, and Tullagore; it is a rectory in the diocese of Connor, and is the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Connor, which is in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1015.7sh. 7 1/2 , and the gross income of the precentorship is returned by the Commissioners of Ecclesiastical Inquiry at £1073. 10sh. 8d. per annum. The church, a large plain edifice with a tower and cupola, was built in 1782, near the site of an ancient church of which there are still some remains. The glebe house is situated on a glebe of 20 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Dunluce, in both of which are chapels in which the parish priest officiates.

    There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, for those of the Remonstrant Synod, Seceders, and Covenanters; the first is a first class congregation, and that of the Seceding Synod a second class.

    A school was established in 1813 by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund. Sampson Moore, Esq., J. Leslie, Esq and C, O'Hara, Esq., have each built and endowed schools on their own estates, for the education of the poor; and there are also other schools in different parts of the parish. In these schools are about 200 boys and 100 girls; and there are 13 private schools, in which are about 800 boys and 200 girls, and 11 Sunday schools. A mendicity association for suppressing vagrant mendicity, by giving employment and relief to the poor at their own dwellings, was established in 1821, and a dispensary in 1821.

    On the estate of Major Rowan is a fine moat, commanding a very extensive view; there is also another at Moore Fort, and one in the town-land of Cross. A double patera of gold, weighing 19 ounces and 10 drachms, of elegant form and curious workmanship, was discovered in this parish by a peasant a few years since.
  • Place
    Ballymoney
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Ballymoney
  • Content
    BALLYMONEY, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (w. by S,) from Bandon; containing 3802 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is intersected by the river Bandon, and skirted on the north by the mail roach road from Bandon to Dunmanway, comprises 7056 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4017 per annum. The land is of good quality; about two-thirds of the parish are under cultivation, and the remainder is chiefly mountain and bog. The old heavy wooden plough is generally in use, and, except on the lands of the resident gentry, agriculture as a system is unknown, The opening of a new line of road through the parish to Clonakilty, whence sea manure is obtained in abundance, has afforded the means of bringing much poor land into cultivation. Great quantities of fuel are raised from the bogs, which supply turf and bug wood for the neighbourhood to the south.

    Near Ballyneen is Phale House, the residence of E. H. Good, Esq. ; a mile to the west is Kilcascan, the seat of W. I. O'Neill Daunt, Esq., a handsome castellated mansion embosomed in young and thriving plantations; and at Ballincarrig is the neat residence of I. Heazle, Esq.

    A domestic manufacture of coarse linen is carried on for home consumption. At Ballincarrig are Rockcastle mills, the property of Mr. Heazle, capable of grinding 5000 bags of wheat annually, and affording constant employment to 20 persons; and at Ballyneen a few persons are engaged in weaving cotton cord, but the principal pursuit is agriculture. Ballyneen is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held there every alternate Monday.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £785. The church is an old but a very neat edifice. The glebe-house, pleasantly situated in the centre of some extensive improvements, was built by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1789 : the glebe comprises 48 acres.

    In the R. C. divisions, one-half of the parish is included in the union or district of Dunmanway, and the other half in that of Kinneigh or Enniskean ; the chapel at Ballincarrig, belonging to the former, is a small neat edifice recently erected.

    There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Ballyneen.

    The parochial male and female school is aided by annual donations from the rector and his lady; and another school is supported by the rector. These schools afford instruction to about 60 boys and 40 girls; and there are also three hedge schools, in which are about 150 children, and a Sunday school.

    There are some remains of Ballincarrig castle, originally built to command a very important pass in the valley; it is a lofty square pile of building, 96 feet high, the walls of which are 6 feet in thickness; a spiral stone staircase, still in tolerable preservation, leads to the battlements ; the platform and one of the gables are entire, but the roof has been long destroyed. The upper apartment is lighted by circular arched windows in the Norman style, with mouldings enriched with curious devices, and various scriptural emblems; among which is Our Saviour on the cross between the two thieves, and on two sides of the room are seats: there are also the initials R.M.-C.C., and the date 1585, above which is an angel with expanded wings. This inscription is supposed to commemorate the founder, Randal McCarty, and his wife Catherine Collins. Below this apartment is a lofty vaulted hall, which, from the brackets and small windows still remaining, is supposed to have been originally divided into three different stories. At a short distance to the south-east is a circular keep or watchtower; to the south is a lake; and to the north is a bog of considerable extent terminated by a low ridge of rugged rocks. Though the date of the castle is supposed to be 1585, the original tower is evidently of much greater antiquity, and probably of the 12th or 18th century. Near the castle have been found several silver coins.
  • Place
    Ballymoney
  • County
    Derry, Londonderry
  • Parish
    Ballymoney
  • Content
    BALLYMONEY, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the north-east liberties of COLERAINE, county of LONDONDERRY, and partly in the barony of KILCONWAY, but chiefly in that of UPPER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 35 miles (N.W.) from Belfast city , and 119 miles (N. by W.) from Dublin; containing 11,579 inhabitants, of which number, 2222 are in the town.

    This place was anciently the head of one of those Irish districts called Tuoghs, which were similar to the present baronies; and in agrant from the crown, by which it was given to Alexander Mac Donnel, it was designated Tuogh Ballymoney,that is, "the district of the town in the bog," part of it at present being situated on a bog several feet in depth,

    The parish is bounded on the west by the river Bann, which passes within three miles of the town, and is intersected by the road from Belfast city to Derry city. The town is built upon an eminence, and from its situation is considered healthy: a new line of mail coach road is now being constructed to pass through it, and in every respect it is rapidly improving. A new road has been opened across the Garry bog leading to Ballycastle and the Giant's Causeway, and a bridge has been lately erected over the river Bann at Agivey; about three miles distant, opening a direct communication with the county and city of Derry, county Tyrone, and other places. Races were formerly held here and were in high repute; but they have been discontinued for some years, and a steeple chase for a gold cup has been substituted, which takes place in the middle of December.

    The trade consists principally in the sale of linens manufactured in the neighbourhood, for which this town is, next to Ballymena, the chief depot. The linen market has long been established, and is eminent for the superior quality of the goods sold here. Though much less extensive than it was, it is still very considerable: from 15,000 to 20,000 double pieces are annually sold, and on the first Thursday in every month large quantities of seven-eighths linen, of various qualities, are sold here, principally for the London market, under the name of "Coleraines," being purchased and bleached by the persons engaged in that trade. Some years since, the finer pieces sold at very high prices, generally from 7sh to 8sh. per yard, and some of the finest webs at 10s. 6d. per yard. There are two markets every month for low-priced brown linens, three quarters of a yard wide, which are sent to England and America: but the demand for these latter goods have decreased. A very extensive trade is carried on in grain, butter, pork, and general provisions.

    The market for grain was first established in 1820 ; but for want of encouragement it languished for a time and was discontinued; in 1831 it was revived, and the new market-place was appropriated to its use, and stores were built by Messrs. McEldeny & Co., for the use of which and for weighing they are entitled to one penny per sack; a considerable quantity of oats is sent to Liverpool, London, and other English markets, and some are consumed in a distillery near the town. The market for provisions was established about the year 1790, and has since been gradually increasing and is now largely supplied: about 4000 carcases of pigs are generally sold during the season, which are principally cured at home for the Liverpool and other English markets; they were formerly all sent to Belfast, and a considerable number are still purchased by the curers of that place.

    A public crane was established under the provisions of an act of the 52nd of Geo. III. In the market for butter about 10,000 casks are generally disposed of during the season, the greater part of which is shipped off from Portrush, about 9 miles distant, for Liverpool. There are a soap and candle and a tobacco manufactory, a tanyard, and a large brewery in the town ; and at Moore Fort, about 3 miles distant, is a very extensive distillery belonging to James Moore, Esq., in which from 50,000 to 60,000 gallons of whiskey are annually made, there is also a mill for spinning flax, and a very extensive flour-mill. A branch of the Belfast city banking company has been established here. The trade of the town is susceptible of great increase, from its favourable situation in the centre of a rich tract of country, without any markets nearer to it than Ballymena on the one side, and Coleraine on the other. There is, however, but little facility of water carriage, the river Bann not being navigable above Coleraine, nor below Portna. The general market is on Thursday; and fairs are held annually on May 6th, July 10th, and Oct. 10th.

    A chief constabulary police station has been fixed here. The manorial court for the barony of Dunluce is held in the town on the first Friday in every month; petty sessions are held every alternate Thursday; and the quarter sessions for the county are held here and at Ballymena alternately. The court-house or town-hall, the property of Lord Mark Kerr, is situated in the centre of the town; and the bridewell, recently built, contains seven cells, with day rooms and airing-yards adapted to the classification of prisoners, and apartments for the keeper.

    The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 23,108 3/4 statute acres, of which 21,736 1/2 are in Upper Dunluce, and 753 1/4 in Kilconway; 18,367 are applotted under the tithe act; about 500 acres are woodland, 2225 bog, 59 1/2 water, and the remainder principally arable land. The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture greatly improving , the principal crops, till within the last few years, were barley and oats, of which last great quantities are still grown in the neighbourhood; but the cultivation of wheat has been recently introduced, and is rapidly increasing; abundant crops are now raised and begin to form a material portion of the corn trade. Coal and iron stone are found in abundance at O'Hara Brook; and there are medicinal springs on several parts of the estate.

    The principal seats are O'Hara Brook, that of C. O'Hara, Esq. ; Leslie Hill, of J. Leslie, Esq.; Ballynacree, of Sampson Moore, Esq; Moore Fort, of J. Moore, Esq.; Greenville, of J. R. Moore, Esq.; Stranocum, of J. Hutchinson, Esq.; and Vine Cottage, of J. Thompson, Esq.

    The parish comprises the ancient parishes of Ballymoney, Dunlap, Kilmoil, and Tullagore; it is a rectory in the diocese of Connor, and is the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Connor, which is in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1015.7sh. 7 1/2 , and the gross income of the precentorship is returned by the Commissioners of Ecclesiastical Inquiry at £1073. 10sh. 8d. per annum. The church, a large plain edifice with a tower and cupola, was built in 1782, near the site of an ancient church of which there are still some remains. The glebe house is situated on a glebe of 20 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Dunluce, in both of which are chapels in which the parish priest officiates.v There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, for those of the Remonstrant Synod, Seceders, and Covenanters; the first is a first class congregation, and that of the Seceding Synod a second class.

    A school was established in 1813 by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund. Sampson Moore, Esq., J. Leslie, Esq and C, O'Hara, Esq., have each built and endowed schools on their own estates, for the education of the poor; and there are also other schools in different parts of the parish. In these schools are about 200 boys and 100 girls; and there are 13 private schools, in which are about 800 boys and 200 girls, and 11 Sunday schools. A mendicity association for suppressing vagrant mendicity, by giving employment and relief to the poor at their own dwellings, was established in 1821, and a dispensary in 1821.

    On the estate of Major Rowan is a fine moat, commanding a very extensive view; there is also another at Moore Fort, and one in the town-land of Cross. A double patera of gold, weighing 19 ounces and 10 drachms, of elegant form and curious workmanship, was discovered in this parish by a peasant a few years since.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook13Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0