Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Churchtown
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Churchtown
  • Content
    CHURCHTOWN, or BRUHENNY, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3.50 miles (N. by W.) from Buttevant; containing 2795 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Buttevant to Liscarrol, and contains 7029.50 statute acres rated to the county cess, and valued at £6334. 16s. 11d., per annum. The land is generally good and mostly in pasture; and agriculture is improving. Some bog, limestone, and a reddish-coloured marble are found here.

    The principal seats are Burton House, originally built by Sir Philip Perceval, destroyed in the war of 1641, rebuilt by the late Earl of Egmont, and now the residence of the Rev. Matthew Purcell ; and Churchtown House, the residence of the Rev. F. W. Crofts.

    The village contains several neat slated houses, a good inn, and a constabulary police station. A court for the manor of Burton, which includes several parishes, is held once in three weeks, in which debts not exceeding 40s., late currency are recoverable. The greater part of the parish is the property of the Earl of Egmont, who takes his title from the townland of Egmont, within its limits.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £550. The church is a plain building with a square tower; and the spire, which was thrown down about three years since, has been rebuilt by a grant of £258 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 12 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Liscarrol : the chapel is a neat cruciform building, and is about to be improved.

    There are two private schools, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls ; and the Earl of Egmont intends to build one at Churchtown, capable of accommodating 700 children, which will be placed under the National Board.
  • Place
    Churchtown
  • County
    Kildare
  • Parish
    Churchtown
  • Content
    CHURCHTOWN, or RHEBAN, a parish, in the barony of WEST NARRAGH and RHEBAN, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with part of the post-town of Athy, 2009 inhabitants, of which number, 706 are in the town.

    This parish is situated on the river Barrow, and on the road from Athy to Monastereven, and contains 7245 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is the site of the ancient city and castle of Rheban, noticed in Ptolemy's map as one of the principal inland cities, the only remains of which are a deep quadrangular intrenchment, with a high conical mount at its western extremity. A fair was formerly held here on St. Michael's day, but has long since been removed to Athy.

    It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, and is one of the nine denominations which constitute the union of Athy or Nicholastown ; the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £390, of which £"60 is paid to the impropriator, and £130 to the incumbent.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Athy.
  • Place
    Churchtown
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Churchtown
  • Content
    CHURCHTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4.75 miles (W. by S.) from Mullingar; containing 980 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Mullingar to Athlone, and on Lough Ennel, by which it is bounded on the south; it comprises 966 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is chiefly in pasture ; that which is under tillage produces good crops, and the system of agriculture is gradually improving. there is a small portion of bog, and abundance of limestone. The Royal Canal nearly touches the northern extremity of the parish.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1809, to the rectory of Dysart and the chapelry of Conragh, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop. the tithes amount to £180 8 shillings and 3 pence, and of the whole union to £373 8 shillings and 3 pence. The church is a neat modern building with a square tower, erected in 1811, by aid of a gift of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits; it is nearly in the centre of the union. The glebe-house near it was built in 1814, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £210 from the same Board. There are two glebes, comprising together 24 acres, valued at £2 per acre.

    In the R. C. divisions the parish is also the head of a union, co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Dysart and Conragh.

    A school is supported by subscription, aided by the rector, in which are about 30 children.

    There are some remains of the old church, with a cemetery; and at Teaghboyan are the remains of a monastery, of which St. Baithen was abbot, and probably the founder; no records of it since the year 1229 are extant.
  • Place
    Churchtown
  • County
    Wexford
  • Parish
    Churchtown
  • Content
    CHURCHTOWN, a district parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 .50 miles (S. W.) from Broadway ; containing 1429 inhabitants.

    It is situated on the Lough of Tacumshane, and was constituted an Ecclesiastical district, comprising the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane, in 1834.

    The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of the diocese for the first three turns, after which the right of presentation will vest in the Bishop. The tithes of five town1ands comprising 693 statute acres, amounting to £70. 10s. 1.50d., and a glebe of more than four statute acres were allotted for the support of the curate. The church, a neat building, was finished in 1835, at an expense of £800, granted by the late Board of First Fruits.

    In the R C. divisions it is partly in the district of Maglass, and partly in that of Lady's Island, in which respectively are the chapels of Ballymore and Tacumshane.

    A parochial school has been established under the superintendence of the perpetual curate. The only remains of antiquity are the ruins of the old parish church of Tacumshane.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>