Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentCLENORE, a parish, in the barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2.50 miles (S.) from Doneraile ; containing 1303 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the north side of the river Blackwater, and on the road from Mallow to Castletown-Roche, and contains 4163 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about two-thirds of which are arable and the remainder pasture. The land is in general of superior quality, and by the exertions of Pierce Nagle, Esq., irrigation and other improvements in agriculture have been extensively introduced. There is a small quantity of wet bog, and abundance of limestone, which is worked for building and agricultural purposes. Culm exists, and a shaft has been sunk, frond which some fine specimens have been obtained.
The principal seats are Anakissy, the residence of Pierce Nagle, Esq. ; Killura, of Cornelius Linihan, Esq.; and Castle-Kevin, of E. Badham Thornhill, Esq. The ancient castle was the a property of the Roches, and the present extensive castellated mansion was rebuilt by Mr. Thornhill after designs by Mr. Flood, in the Elizabethan style. It consists of a regular front flanked by semicircular towers with embattled parapets : at. the back is an octangular tower, from which the light is thrown into the grand hall through a window of stained glass, exhibiting the family arms, &c. The entrance is through a porch of hewn limestone, and a screen of the same material extends along the front of the building.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united from the earliest period with the rectories of Ahacross and Templemolloghy, part of the rectory of Ballyvourney, and the nominal vicarage of Rogeri Calvi, which only exists in the incumbent's titles and the diocesan records : these parishes constitute the corps of the chancellorship of the cathedral of Cloyne, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of this parish amount to £350. and the entire tithes of the union payable to the incumbent amount to £791. 14s 5d. The church is a neat modern edifice with a square tower, built in 1811, near the ruins of one of ancient date, by aid of a gift of £800 front the late Board of First Fruits. There is no glebe-house; but. a glebe of about 6.50 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is one of the three that form the union or district of Monanimy, which has chapels at Kealavullen, in the parish of Monanimy, and at Anakissy, in Mr. Nagle's demesne.
There is a private school, in which are about 24 children.