Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentCLONDEVADOCK, or CLONDEVADOGUE, a parish in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 15.50 miles (N. by E.) from Letterkenny; containing 9595 inhabitants.
This parish which comprises, according to the Ordnance Survey, 27,367.25 statute acres, of which 627.75 are water, is situated on the north-western coast; it comprehends the greater part of the peninsular district of Fannet, or Fanad, extending northward into the ocean, and terminating in the points called Maheranguna and Pollacheeny. The surface is for the most part occupied by mountains of considerable altitude, among which Knockalla is 1196 feet above the level of the sea; these are separated by deep and narrow vales, of which the soil is tolerably good, consisting of a brown gravely mould, sometimes inclining to clay, on a basis of white gravel, brownish or reddish clay, slate of various colours, and sometimes soft freestone rock. The parish contains about 60 quarter lands of good arable and bad pasture, with much waste and barren land: many acres have been covered and destroyed by the shifting sands. The point of Fanet is in latitude 55o 15' 50" (N.) and longitude 7o 39' (W.): it is on the western side of the entrance of Lough Swilly, and a lighthouse has been erected on it, of which the lantern has an elevation of 90 feet above the level of the sea at high water; it consists of nine lamps, displaying a deep red light towards the sea, and a bright fixed light towards the lough or harbour, and may be seen in clear weather from a distance of 14 nautical miles.
The seats are Croohan House, the residence of R. H. Patton, Esq.; Greenfort of H. Babington, Esq.; and Springfield of M. Dill, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Raphoe and in the patronage of the Provost nad fellows of Trinity College, Dublin, the tithes amount to £463. 5s. 4.50d. The glebe house was built by aid of a loan of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1795; the glebe comprises 240 acres of which 160 are uncultivated. The church is a plain structure, towards the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissoiners have recently granted £371 10s. 3d.
The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two large chapels.
There are five schools, one of which, the parochial school, is partly supported by annual donations from the rector and the late Colonel Robertson's fund. In these about 250 boys and 130 girls are instructed; and there are two pay schools, in which are about 70 boys and 11 girls, and five Sunday schools.