Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Clonmore
  • County
    Carlow
  • Parish
    Clonmore
  • Content
    CLONMORE, a parish in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles from Hacketstown, on the road from Tullow to Hacketstown and Tinahely; containing 2244 inhabitants.

    Ot comprises 26,210 statute acres, of which about 2430 are covered with heath and furze, 130 are woodland, and 1500 bog, and of the remainder, one-fifth is arable and the rest a kind of pasture and meadow; of its entire surface, 5855 acres are applotted under the tithes act. There are some indications of agricultural improvement, although a considerable quantity of unprofitable land might be reclaimed and brought under tillage.

    Clonmore Lodge is the residence of Lieut.-Col. Whelan; Castle-View of the Rev. R. A. Martin; and the glebe-house of the Hon. and Rev. Archdeacon Stopford.

    The living is a rectory in the diocese of Leighlin, and constitutes the corps of the archdeaconry of Leighlin, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £304 12s. 3.75d. The glebe-house was built about 1812, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £450 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church, a plain decent edifice was built about the same period by aid of a gift of £600 from the Board.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions, this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonmore, Liscoleman and Mullinacuffe, and parts of those of Haroldstown, Aghold, Crecrim and Fennagh: the chapel at Clonmore is a plain slated building, not in very good repair; and there are two others in the union, situated at Knockballastine and Kilquiggan, in the parishes of Liscoleman and Aghold.

    There are a parochial and a national school, affording instruction to about 180 children, including several sent hither from the Foundling Hospital in Dublin.

    At a short distance from the church are the venerable ruins of the castle, the origin of which, though not satisfactorily ascertained, is with some degree of probability attributed to the Earl of Ormonde, to whom the place was granted in the reign of Hen. VIII., although the castle of Clonmore is recorded to have been taken by the English in 1332. The ruins form three sides of a quadrangle, 170 feet square, of which the fourth has been demolished; at the angles are towers, and the whole was surrounded by a deep fosse, now filled up; several cabins have been built within the walls. Clonmore gives the inferior title of Baron to the Earl of Wicklow.
  • Place
    Clonmore
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Clonmore
  • Content
    CLONMORE, a parish, in the barony of IVERK, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (S. S. E.) from Piltown, on the mail coach road from Limerick to Waterford ; containing 702 inhabitants.

    Agriculture is in an improved state, and there is no waste land; the bog on the estate of Cloncunny has been drained and reclaimed by its proprietor, Henry H. Briscoe, Esq. Limestone is quarried for manure and for building and repairing the roads ; town manure and culm are brought by the river Suir.

    The principal seats are Silverspring, the residence of D. Osborne, Esq., and Cloncunny, of Henry H Briscoe, Esq.

    The living is a. rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united to those of Ballytarsney, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £173. 3s. 7d, and of the whole benefice, to £254. 18s. 3 .50 d. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £386, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1817 : the glebe comprises 11a. 19p. The church was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board, in 1818; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £151. 11s. 8d. towards its repair.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is in the union or district of Moncoin.

    A well at Greagavine was formerly much resorted to by pilgrims on Ascension-day; the water was said to cure ague by immersion. There are some slight remains of an old church. Part of the ancient residence of the bishops of Ossory is still remaining.
  • Place
    Clonmore
  • County
    Louth
  • Parish
    Clonmore
  • Content
    CLONMORE, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 .50 miles (E. by N.) from Dunleer; containing 769 inhabitants, of which number, 74 are in the hamlet.

    It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1905 statute acres, two-thirds of which are under tillage. The land is of superior quality and highly cultivated, producing excellent crops of wheat and barley; the farms and farm-houses are of a superior description. There is a constabulary police station in the hamlet.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-primate. The tithes amount to £170. The glebe-house, which is a handsome building, was erected in 1782, on a glebe of 17 acres. The church is a small but handsome edifice, built in 1794, at the sole expense of Primate Robinson.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dysart, and has a chapel at Wyanstown. There is a parochial school, established and supported by the rector, In which about 20 children are educated.

    Here are the ruins of a castle, said to have been the residence of the De Verduns, also the walls of an ancient church, where a patron is held annually on the 9th of June, in honour of St. Columbkill, the reputed founder.
  • Place
    Clonmore
  • County
    Wexford
  • Parish
    Clonmore
  • Content
    CLONMORE a parish, partly in the barony of SHELMALIER, but chiefly in that of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Enniscorthy: containing 1371 inhabitants.

    This place anciently called 'Cluain dicholla gairbhir,' is of great antiquity; St. Maidoc having founded a monastery here in the 6th century, for canons of the order of St. Augustine, which in 740, was burnt. In 832 it was plundered by the Danes, and in 833 they burnt the abbey on Christmas night, killed many of the monks, and carried others into captivity. Dermot Mac Moilnambo, Lord of Kennselach, plundered and destroyed CLonmore in 1040, and in 1041 it met a similar fate from Donogh, the son of Bryan.

    It is situated on the river Slaney, which is navigable for flat-bottomed lighters to Enniscorthy. The parish comprises 6987 statute acres of arable and pasture land. Good building stone is abundant in different places.

    Wilton, the residence of H. Alcock, Esq., occupies the site of one of the ancient castles of the Furlongs, and is being remodelled, in the castellated style, considerably enlarged, and faced with fine white granite from Mount Leinster: in the park is a fine sheet of water, abounding with wild fowl, which has lately been enlarged and rendered ornamental. The other seats are Macmine Castle, the residence of Pierce Newton King, Esq., an ancient castellated mansion on the banks of the river Slaney; Merton, the property of T. A. Whitney, Esq.; Kilgibbon, of H. Alcock, Esq.; Birmount, a deserted mansion of the Leeson family; Clonmore, the seat of W. Woodcock, Esq.; and Birmount Cottage, the neat residence of J. Gethings, Esq.

    It is a vicarage in the diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of St. Mary, Enniscorthy; the rectory is impropriate to the see. The tithes amount to £458 18s. 7.50d., of which £305 19s. 1d., is payable to the bishop, and £152 19s. 6.50d., to the vicar. A neat church in the later English style of architecture, with an embattled tower, was erected at Bree, in the year 1827, on a site given by H. Alcock, Esq., by aid of a grant from the late Board of First Fruits; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £128 2s. 4d., towards its repair.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>