Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentCREEVE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSCOMMON, but chiefly in that of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (N.) from Elphin, on the road to Boyle; containing 3159 inhabitants. It comprises 2716 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
The surface is varied with low elevations of limestone and limestone gravel; there is very little bog. Portobello, the residence of T. Stafford, Esq ; and Ryefield, of N. Cummins, Esq, are in this parish.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and is part of the union of Ardclare ; the rectory forms part of the union and corps of the precentorship of Elphin. The tithes amount to £92:6:2., which is equally divided between tbe precentor and vicar.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels, one at Ryefield, the other at Caighy.
There are two schools under the Elphin Diocesan Socicty, which are aided by annual donations from Viscount Lorton, the rector, the curate, and the Rev. Mr. Lloyd, and afford instruction to about 70 children. There are also two hedge schools, in which about 80 children arc taught.
A friary of the third order of Franciscans was founded here, of which scarcely any remains are visible; a lease of its possessions was granted by Queen Elizabeth, in 1582, to Bryan Mac Dermot.