Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
13Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Donoughmore
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Donoughmore
  • Content
    DONOUGHMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRETTS, but chiefly in that of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (W. N. W.) from Cork city, on the new line of raod to Kanturk; containing 6794 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises 22,000 statue acres, of which 8000 acres, which had been forcibly withheld from the see of Cloyne (Diocese of Cloyne - to which nearly half the parish belongs), since the year 1539, were, in 1709, recovered by Bishop Crow, and are now the property of that see, but in the hands of the Commissioners under the Church Temporalities act: about 2880 acres are bog and mountain, and the remainder is good arable and pasture land. The soil is generally cold and west, except in the neighbourhood of Derry, where the lands are well cultivated and vary productive. Not more than one-fourth of the land is under tillage; the remainder is mountain pasture and bog, especially the northern part of the parish, where a vast tract of heathy bog and moorland extends to the summit of the Boggra mountain, on which numerous herds of cattled are pastured.

    The principal residences are Derry, that of J. B. Gibbs, Esq.; Derry Cottage, of the Rev. W. Meade; Kilcullen, of Jer. Lynch, Esq.; Firmount, of Horace Townsend, Esq.; and Fortnaght, of the Rev. Morgan O'Brien.

    The new line of road from Cork to Kanturk passes through this wild district, and will contribute greatly to its improvement: the rivers Dripsey and Awenbeg have their rise in this parish. Fairs are held on May 18th and Nov. 21st for general farming stock. Near the cross of Donoughmore is a constabulary police barrack. A manorial court is held under the Bishop of Cloyne, and petty sessions monthly. The rectory constitutes the corps of the prebend of Cloyne in the cathedral of St. Colman, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1100. The glebe-house is a very old building; the glebe comprises 14 acres of fertile land. The church is a small and very old edifice in a state of great dilapidation, and is about to be rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

    The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are two chapels, one near the cross of Donoughmore, and the other at Fortnaght, the former a spacious and neat edifice, the other a small plain building.

    A school is supported by the rector, in which about 20 children are educated; at Garrane is a school in which about 30 boys and 20 girls are instructed, and for which a house was given by Mr. Stowell; and there are five pay schools, in which are about 300 boys and 160 girls. Between this parish and Kilshanig is the Pass of Redshard, where Lord-President St. Leger, in 1641, drew up such forces as he could raise to oppose the insurgents coming from the county of Limerick, and commanded by Lord Mountgarret, but on their messengers showing him their pretended commission from the king, he disbanded his forces and retired to Cork.

    This place gives the title of Earl to the family of Hutchinson.
  • Place
    Donoughmore
  • County
    Limerick
  • Parish
    Donoughmore
  • Content
    DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the county of the city of LIMERICK, province of MUNSTER, 2 .50 miles (S.E.) from Limerick City; containing 729 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the road from Limerick to Bruff, and comprises 821 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and about 97 acres of bog mostly cut out and reclaimed. The land is generally good, but, though so near the city of Limerick, the system of agriculture is in a very unimproved state; some of the land is de-pastured by milch cows and the produce sent daily to Limerick.

    There are several handsome residences in the neighbourhood, of which the principal are Ballyseeda, that of T. G. Fitzgibbon, Esq.; South Hill, of S. Evans, Esq.; and Clonlong, of J. Norris, Esq.; and there are several substantial houses, the occasional residence of some of the Limerick merchants, who have farms in the parish.

    Donoughmore is a prebend in the cathedral of Limerick, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the patronage of the bishop: the tithes amount to £92.6s.1.50d.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Cahirnarry and Cahirnavalla; the chapel is a small thatched building nearly in the centre of the parish. (Note: in the article on Cahirnarry, Lewis refers to it as being part of the union or district of Donoughmore OR Knocknea)

    The ruins of the ancient parish church are extensive and venerably picturesque, consisting of the walls and gables, which are tolerably entire and covered with ivy; within the area are the tombs and monuments of the ancient families of Roche, Kelly, Connell, and Fitzgerald.
  • Place
    Donoughmore
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
    Donoughmore
  • Content
    DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4.50 miles (N.) from Clonmel, on the road to Thurles; containing 456 inhabitants.

    It comprises 1085 statute acres; there are some bogs and marshy land. and also some portions of uncultivated ground, which are susceptible of improvement and might be easily reclaimed. Limestone abounds in the parish, and is quarried exclusively for burning into lime, which is the principal manure.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, united, by act of council in 1805, to the rectory of Kiltigan, together constituting the union and corps of the prebend of Donoughmore in the cathedral of Lismore, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £138 9s. 3d, and the tithes of the union to £232 3s.1d. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £350 and a loan of £450 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818: the glebe comprises 13a.2r.20p. The church has been in ruins from time immemorial, and the protestant parishioners attend the church of Lisronagh, about two miles distant.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Powerstown.

    The remains of the church, which may possibly have been the church of a monastery said to have existed here at a very remote period, and of which St. Farannan was the first Abbot, consist chiefly of an exterior and interior arch richly sculptured with mouldings and embellished with grotesque ornaments; they are of the later Norman style, and have sustained much injury from time and dilapidation.
  • Place
    Donoughmore
  • County
    Wicklow
  • Parish
    Donoughmore
  • Content
    DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Baltinglass; containing 4130 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the river Slaney, and in the glen of Imail, which abounds with excellent pasturage: it comprises 25,202 statute acres, about 8100 of which form a large tract of mountain, having an extensive bog at its base. The land is in tillage and pasture, and great numbers of calves are fattened here, and large quantities of butter made for the Dublin market. The scenery is bold and rugged, contrasting strikingly with the milder character of the adjacent glen. At Knocknamunion is a factory for making blankets and frieze, and there is a granite quarry at Knockaderry. In this parish stand the Leitrim barracks, which were erected after the disturbances of 1798, at an expense of about £8000 : they have been recently disposed of to a private individual.

    The seats are Coolmoney, the residence of Lady Louisa Hutchinson, a handsome and newly erected mansion, commanding fine views of the glen of Imail ; and Ballinclea, of Richard Fenton, Esq.

    Donoughmore is a prebend in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Dublin, in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £461. 10 shillings 9.25 pence. The glebe-house is situated about three-quarters of a mile from the church, on a glebe comprising 20 acres. The church was rebuilt in 1711, and the present tower added to it, in 1821, by aid of a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits : it has been recently repaired. Evening service is also performed, during summer, in the school-house at Knockenargan.

    In the R, C, divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dunlavin and Donard ; the chapel is at Davidstown,

    There are four schools, one of which is supported by the Trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the parochial school, near the church, was erected in 1821, by subscription ; and one at Knockenargan was erected, in 1834, also by subscription, on half an acre of land given for the site by the Earl of Wicklow : in these schools about 120 boys and 70 girls are taught, and about 80 more boys and 60 girls in six private schools. A loan fund was established in 1824; Mrs. Caldwell left, £20 per annum, late currency, to the Protestant poor; and the interest of £200 stock was left by the late Dr. Ryan, who was rector of this parish, in 1818, to five poor Protestants and five poor Roman Catholics.

    On the townland of Castleruddery are several raths, or Danish mounds; the most conspicuous is one of considerable height on the grounds of Mr. J. Wilson, and on the same land is a druidical circle of about 120 feet in diameter, round which are numerous blocks of stone, some not of the district, and in the centre of the circle there was no doubt an altar. Adjoining the garden is a pond, in which skeletons of the elk, or moose deer, have been found. On the same townland a flint spear-head was found, on ploughing a field in 1829. At Knockenargan there are two raths, and another at Gibstown ; at Knockendaragh is a very extensive one, which is surrounded by a rampart and fosse ; there is another above Old Deer park, at Castleruddery, which is moated, besides several others in the parish. Near the little village of Knockendaragh is a cromlech. Eardestown and Brusselstown hills, the former 1314, and the latter 1305, feet above the level of the sea, are in this parish: the summit of the latter is encircled by three concentric mounds, the lowest of which is about half way down the declivity of the hill, and, with the next above it, is formed of rough loose stones; the upper-most is constructed of large unhewn blocks, piled up to a considerable height, forming round the summit of the hill a kind of mural crown, perceptible at a great distance. There is an old burial-place near Leitrim Barracks, used by the Roman Catholics; also slight remains of a seat called Seskin, and another called Snugborough, built by Col. Percy, about 1695; the former is now the property of the Earl of Wicklow, and the latter that of Harman Herring Cooper, of Shrewl Castle, Esq.
  • Place
    Donoughmore
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Donoughmore
  • Content
    DONOUGHMORE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Rathdowney, on the road from Burros-in-Ossory to Kilkenny city , containing 1211 Inhabitants, of which number, 383 are in the village. This parish contains 3226 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, The village comprises about 70 houses, and contains extensive corn-mills and a large starch manufactory. Fairs are held in it on March 28th, June 12th and 13th; Aug. 31st, and Dec. 12th. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £154. 9 shillings 7½ pence. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 193 acres. The church was rebuilt by aid of a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Rathdowney, and contains a plain chapel The parochial school is endowed with an acre of land by the rector, and there are two private schools, in all which about 100 children are educated
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
13Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Google+
Google+
0Share on Tumblr
Tumblr
0Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
0