Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Drimtemple
  • County
    Galway
  • Parish
    Drimtemple
  • Content
    DRIMTEMPLE, a parish, partly in the half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and partly in the other half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlerea, on the road to Roscommon town; containing 2383 inhabitants.

    It is surrounded by bog, and consists principally of pasture, although there is a considerable quantity of arable land.

    The seats are Dundermott, the residence of R. Blakeney, Esq. ; Laragh, of Martin Connor, Esq. ; Leabeg, of H. Browne, Esq. ; Tenny Park, of T. T. Byrne, Esq. ; Currisdoona, of F. T. Byrne, Esq. ; and Bopeep Lodge, of H. French, Esq.

    In the village of Ballymoe are two mills, worked by Mr. Hurley, one grinding 100 tons of oatmeal; and the other 2000 barrels of wheat into flour annually. Petty sessions every Friday, and a fair on Feb, 1st, are held there.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Oran ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Essex. The tithes amount to £133. 6s. 8d., of which £100 is payable to the impropriator and £33. 6s. 8d. to the vicar. The church for the union is at Ballymoe, and was built in 1832 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballintobber, and has a chapel at Ballymoe, a good slated building which cost £500.

    There are two public schools, in which about 60, and four private schools, in wilich about 170, children are educated. At Cloonadera are a fine Danish fort and a chalybeate spa.
  • Place
    Drimtemple
  • County
    Roscommon
  • Parish
    Drimtemple
  • Content
    DRIMTEMPLE, a parish, partly in the half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and partly in the other half-barony of BALLYMOE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlerea, on the road to Roscommon town; containing 2383 inhabitants.

    It is surrounded by bog, and consists principally of pasture, although there is a considerable quantity of arable land.

    The seats are Dundermott, the residence of R. Blakeney, Esq. ; Laragh, of Martin Connor, Esq. ; Leabeg, of H. Browne, Esq. ; Tenny Park, of T. T. Byrne, Esq. ; Currisdoona, of F. T. Byrne, Esq. ; and Bopeep Lodge, of H. French, Esq.

    In the village of Ballymoe are two mills, worked by Mr. Hurley, one grinding 100 tons of oatmeal; and the other 2000 barrels of wheat into flour annually. Petty sessions every Friday, and a fair on Feb, 1st, are held there.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Oran ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Essex. The tithes amount to £133. 6s. 8d., of which £100 is payable to the impropriator and £33. 6s. 8d. to the vicar. The church for the union is at Ballymoe, and was built in 1832 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballintobber, and has a chapel at Ballymoe, a good slated building which cost £500.

    There are two public schools, in which about 60, and four private schools, in wilich about 170, children are educated. At Cloonadera are a fine Danish fort and a chalybeate spa.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>