Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentDRUMHOLM, DRIMHOLM, or DRUMHOME, a parish, in the barony of TYRHUGH county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Ballyshannon; containing 8502 inhabitants.
St. Ernan, who died about 640, was abbot of a monastery here, where Flahertach O'Maldory, King of Tyrconnell, was buried in 1197. The parish is situated on Donegal bay, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 35,433 statute acres, of which 15,482 are applotted under the tithe act.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, forming the corps of the prebend of Drumholm in Raphoe cathedral, and is in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Conolly. The tithes amount to £735. 3s. 6.50 d., of which £245. 1s. 2.75 d., is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe house was erected in 1792, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of first Fruits. The glebe comprises 531 plantation acres, of which 400 are cultivated, and the remainder is a rabbit burrow. A church was built at Ballintra in 1795, at an expense of £1098, of which £500 was a gift from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £252. 13s. 9d., for its repair. Another church was built at Rossnow-lough, in 1830, by aid of a grant of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, which also granted £350 towards building a chapel at Golard.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a large plain chapel near Ballintra.
There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and for Wesleyan Methodists.
About 690 children are educated in the public schools, and 20 in a private school ; there are also eight Sunday schools.