Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentDRUMRATT a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles ( S.) from Ballymote, on the road from Boyle (Co. Roscommon) to Ballymote ; containing 1606 inhabitants.
It is on the confines of the county of Roscommon, and comprises 3685 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The lands are principally under tillage, and there is a portion of good grazing land, with a sufficient tract of bog for fuel. Limestone is quarried for agriculture purposes.
Abbeyville is the residence of J. Fleming, Esq.
It is in the diocese of Achonry; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. Montgomery Bart., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Emlyfadd. The tithes amount to £204. 13s. 11d., of which £95. 3s. 3d,. is payable to the impropriator, and £109. 10s. 8d. to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tumore ; the chapel is at Culfader.
There are two private schools, in which are about 90 boys and 40 girls.
An abbey was founded here by St. Mechin, of which the last Abbot of whom there is any record, died in 1016 ; it afterwards became the parish church, and there are still some remains.