Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Durrow
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Durrow
  • Content
    DURROW, or CASTLE-DURROW, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (S. by E.) from Maryborough (Portlaoise), and 54 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Athy (county Kildare) to Cashel (County Tipperary) ; containing 2911 inhabitants, of which number, 1298 are in the town.

    This parish comprises 6843 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; three-fourths of the land are arable and pasture, about 1000 acres woodland, and 300 bog. The town, which is on the bank of the river Erkin, contains 236 houses forming a square, many of which are well-built and slated, It is included in the county of Kilkenny for civil purposes, but is completely surrounded by Queen's county, of which it formed a part until the Earl of Ormonde, by act of parliament, procured its annexation to Kilkenny. Malt is made here, and there is a large boulting-mill. The market is held on Friday in the market-house ; and fairs are held on the second Thursday (O. S.) in May, Aug., and Nov., and Feb. 2nd, March 4th, April 16th, July 3rd, and Oct. 8th. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. Petty sessions are held on alternate Fridays.

    Adjoining the town is Castle-Durrow, a large ancient mansion belonging to Viscount Ashbrook, from which he takes the title of Baron. Here are also Donmore, the residence of the Staples family ; Moyne, of R. Hamilton Stubber, Esq. ; and Castlewood, of R. Lawrenson, Esq.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice's, Kilkenny ; the rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the lessee under the economy estate, and £120 to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of more than 18 acres. A cattle show was established here, in 1801, by the Midland Farming Society. The church is a large building, with a tower and spire, and has recently been repaired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at art expense of £738.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions part of the parish is in the union or district of Ballyragget, and the remainder with Aghamacart forms the district of Durrow, in which is a chapel.

    The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting-house in the town.

    The parochial school is aided by Lord Ashbrook and the incumbent, and an infants' school is supported by an annual donation of £52 from Mrs. Walker. About 70 children are educated in these schools, about 180 in four private schools, and there is also a Sunday school. At Callohill, on the estate of Lord Carbery, are the ruins of a castle. A monastery once existed at Durrow, but its history is unknown ; and at Ballynasleigh was a large altar, or cromlech, which was destroyed in a search for money, also another cromlech and some enclosures and pits.
  • Place
    Durrow
  • County
    Offaly, King's County
  • Parish
    Durrow
  • Content
    DURROW, a parish, partly in the barony of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, but chiefly in that of BALLYCOWAN, KINGS county (Offaly), and province of LEINSTER, 2.75 miles (N.) from Tullamore, on the road to Kilbeggan ; containing 5192 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is also called Dervagh, was distinguished at a very early period for its sumptuous monastery, founded by St. Columb, in 546, and also for an abbey of Augustine Canons, which was subsequently founded and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Columb. The latter establishment, which had been endowed with the town of Durrow, by Aed McBrenaynn, King of Teaffia, who died in 585, was plundered in 832, by Fethlemid, son of Crimthan, who slew the monks and burned the town ; and after having been repeatedly destroyed by fire, was, in 1175, plundered by the English, who laid waste the adjacent country. In 1186, Hugh de Lacy, while superintending the erection of a castle on the ruins of the monastery founded by St. Columb, was killed by one of the labourers, who, indignant at the profanation of the sacred spot, struck off his head with an axe while he was stooping down to give directions.

    In 1557, Simon Clifford built here the castle of Rahan O'Swaney, and also granted an annuity of 40s. to the abbey, which continued to flourish till the dissolution, when it was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Nicholas Herbert, who made it his residence, and from whose family (which took the name of Stepney) it passed to that of the Earl of Norbury its present proprietor.

    The parish comprises 688 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving; there is only a small portion of bog, and the only waste land consists of sand hills. Limestone abounds and is quarried extensively for agricultural and other uses.

    The principal seats are Durrow Abbey, that of the Earl of Norbury, situated in an ample and highly improved demesne, in which his lordship is erecting a spacious mansion in the ancient style ; Kilclare, of John Armstrong, Esq. ; Coolrain, of R. B. Slater, Esq.; Ballynamona, of R. Belton, Esq., and Rostella, of Dr. Naghten.

    The linen manufacture was carried on here; and there was an extensive bleach-green, the property of Mr. Armstrong, in which about 50 persons were employed. The river Brosna, which bounds the parish on the north and east, and the Silver river, which bounds it on the south and west, afford facilities for trade ; on the latter a flourishing distillery has been lately established.

    The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Earl of Norbury, in whom, and in H. Kemmis and J. Armstrong, Esqrs., the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £223. 14s. 1.50d., of which £146.0s.7.50d., is payable to Lord Norbury, £60. 8s. 10d., to Mr. Kemmis, and £17. 4s. 8d., to Mr. Armstrong; the stipend of the perpetual curate is £80, payable by Lord Norbury. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 25 acres, subject to a rent of £17. 10s. The church, a venerable and ancient structure, was repaired in 1802, by a gift of £450, and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, and contains monuments to the Stepney and Armstrong families. In the churchyard is an ancient cross curiously sculptured with scriptural devices, which is supposed to have been brought from Scotland by St. Columb ; it is of a different kind of stone to any in the neighbourhood.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is in the union of Tullamore ; the chapel is a very handsome edifice, in the later English style. There are three private schools, in which are about 200 children. Near the church is a holy well, dedicated to St. Columb. There are the remains of several towers, and also a large rath in the parish.
  • Place
    Durrow
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Durrow
  • Content
    DURROW, a parish, partly in the barony of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, but chiefly in that of BALLYCOWAN, KINGS county (Offaly), and province of LEINSTER, 2.75 miles (N.) from Tullamore, on the road to Kilbeggan ; containing 5192 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is also called Dervagh, was distinguished at a very early period for its sumptuous monastery, founded by St. Columb, in 546, and also for an abbey of Augustine Canons, which was subsequently founded and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Columb. The latter establishment, which had been endowed with the town of Durrow, by Aed McBrenaynn, King of Teaffia, who died in 585, was plundered in 832, by Fethlemid, son of Crimthan, who slew the monks and burned the town ; and after having been repeatedly destroyed by fire, was, in 1175, plundered by the English, who laid waste the adjacent country. In 1186, Hugh de Lacy, while superintending the erection of a castle on the ruins of the monastery founded by St. Columb, was killed by one of the labourers, who, indignant at the profanation of the sacred spot, struck off his head with an axe while he was stooping down to give directions.

    In 1557, Simon Clifford built here the castle of Rahan O'Swaney, and also granted an annuity of 40s. to the abbey, which continued to flourish till the dissolution, when it was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Nicholas Herbert, who made it his residence, and from whose family (which took the name of Stepney) it passed to that of the Earl of Norbury its present proprietor.

    The parish comprises 688 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving; there is only a small portion of bog, and the only waste land consists of sand hills. Limestone abounds and is quarried extensively for agricultural and other uses.

    The principal seats are Durrow Abbey, that of the Earl of Norbury, situated in an ample and highly improved demesne, in which his lordship is erecting a spacious mansion in the ancient style ; Kilclare, of John Armstrong, Esq. ; Coolrain, of R. B. Slater, Esq.; Ballynamona, of R. Belton, Esq., and Rostella, of Dr. Naghten.

    The linen manufacture was carried on here; and there was an extensive bleach-green, the property of Mr. Armstrong, in which about 50 persons were employed. The river Brosna, which bounds the parish on the north and east, and the Silver river, which bounds it on the south and west, afford facilities for trade ; on the latter a flourishing distillery has been lately established.

    The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Earl of Norbury, in whom, and in H. Kemmis and J. Armstrong, Esqrs., the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £223. 14s. 1.50d., of which £146.0s.7.50d., is payable to Lord Norbury, £60. 8s. 10d., to Mr. Kemmis, and £17. 4s. 8d., to Mr. Armstrong; the stipend of the perpetual curate is £80, payable by Lord Norbury. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 25 acres, subject to a rent of £17. 10s. The church, a venerable and ancient structure, was repaired in 1802, by a gift of £450, and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, and contains monuments to the Stepney and Armstrong families. In the churchyard is an ancient cross curiously sculptured with scriptural devices, which is supposed to have been brought from Scotland by St. Columb ; it is of a different kind of stone to any in the neighbourhood.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is in the union of Tullamore ; the chapel is a very handsome edifice, in the later English style. There are three private schools, in which are about 200 children. Near the church is a holy well, dedicated to St. Columb. There are the remains of several towers, and also a large rath in the parish.
  • Place
    Durrow
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Durrow
  • Content
    DURROW, or CASTLE-DURROW, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, but chiefly in that of GALMOY, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 12 miles (S. by E.) from Maryborough (Portlaoise), and 54 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Athy (county Kildare) to Cashel (County Tipperary) ; containing 2911 inhabitants, of which number, 1298 are in the town. This parish comprises 6843 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; three-fourths of the land are arable and pasture, about 1000 acres woodland, and 300 bog. The town, which is on the bank of the river Erkin, contains 236 houses forming a square, many of which are well-built and slated, It is included in the county of Kilkenny for civil purposes, but is completely surrounded by Queen's county, of which it formed a part until the Earl of Ormonde, by act of parliament, procured its annexation to Kilkenny. Malt is made here, and there is a large boulting-mill. The market is held on Friday in the market-house ; and fairs are held on the second Thursday (O. S.) in May, Aug., and Nov., and Feb. 2nd, March 4th, April 16th, July 3rd, and Oct. 8th. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. Petty sessions are held on alternate Fridays. Adjoining the town is Castle-Durrow, a large ancient mansion belonging to Viscount Ashbrook, from which he takes the title of Baron. Here are also Donmore, the residence of the Staples family ; Moyne, of R. Hamilton Stubber, Esq. ; and Castlewood, of R. Lawrenson, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice's, Kilkenny ; the rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the lessee under the economy estate, and £120 to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of more than 18 acres. A cattle show was established here, in 1801, by the Midland Farming Society. The church is a large building, with a tower and spire, and has recently been repaired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at art expense of £738. In the Roman Catholic divisions part of the parish is in the union or district of Ballyragget, and the remainder with Aghamacart forms the district of Durrow, in which is a chapel. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting-house in the town. The parochial school is aided by Lord Ashbrook and the incumbent, and an infants' school is supported by an annual donation of £52 from Mrs. Walker. About 70 children are educated in these schools, about 180 in four private schools, and there is also a Sunday school. At Callohill, on the estate of Lord Carbery, are the ruins of a castle. A monastery once existed at Durrow, but its history is unknown ; and at Ballynasleigh was a large altar, or cromlech, which was destroyed in a search for money, also another cromlech and some enclosures and pits.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>