Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Eirke
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Eirke
  • Content
    EIRKE, a parish, partly in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queen's county, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8.25 miles (S.W.) from Durrow, on the road from Rathdowney (Co. Laois) to Johnstown (Co. Kilkenny); containing 5565 inhabitants and comprising 15,750 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, valued at £10,370. 6s. per annum.

    About 2000 acres are bog. Two fairs are held at Bawn for cattle and horses; and here is a constabulary police station. Livally is the seat of ??? Fitzgerald, Esq.,

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the crown; the tithes amount to £692.6s.1.75d . The glebe house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits; the Glebe comprises 15a 25p. The church is a plain building erected in 1823, towards which the late Board lent £650.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Fartagh and Glashare, and containing three chapels; two in Eirke and one in Fartagh; to the chapel at Moninamuck, in this parish Lord Courtown gave an acre of land and £50 towards the expense of its erection, it is in contemplation to re build the other. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and has a house and an acre of land rent free: about 50 boys and girls are taught in it. There are also nine private schools, in which are about 500 children.
  • Place
    Eirke
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Eirke
  • Content
    EIRKE, a parish, partly in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queen’s county, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8¼ miles (S.W.) from Durrow, on the road from Rathdowney (Co. Laois) to Johnstown (Co. Kilkenny); containing 5565 inhabitants and comprising 15,750 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, valued at £10,370. 6s. per annum. About 2000 acres are bog. Two fairs are held at Bawn for cattle and horses; and here is a constabulary police station. Livally is the seat of ??? Fitzgerald, Esq., The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the crown; the tithes amount to £692.6s.1¾d . The glebe house was built by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits; the Glebe comprises 15a 25p. The church is a plain building erected in 1823, towards which the late Board lent £650. In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Fartagh and Glashare, and containing three chapels; two in Eirke and one in Fartagh; to the chapel at Moninamuck, in this parish Lord Courtown gave an acre of land and £50 towards the expense of its erection, it is in contemplation to re build the other. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and has a house and an acre of land rent free: about 50 boys and girls are taught in it. There are also nine private schools, in which are about 500 children.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>