Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentGARTAN, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Letterkenny, on the road to Dunfanaghy; containing 2109 inhabitants.
St.Columb founded a monastery here in 521, of which the ruins still remain. The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 44,124 statute acres, including 1590 under water ; there is a considerable extent of heathy mountain and bog. A silver and lead mine was worked here in 1835, in the townland of Warrenstown, but has been discontinue
Gartan is the residence of Capt. Chambers.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £150. The glebe-house was erected in 1828 by a gift of £400 and a loan of £380 from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, which is a small plain building, was erected in 1819.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of Kilmacrenan, in each of which is a chapel.
The parochial school, in which about 50 children are educated, is aided by an endowment from Col. Robertsons fund, and subscriptions from the recter ; there is also a Sunday school.