Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Kilbonane
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Kilbonane
  • Content
    KILBONANE, a parish, in the barony of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (N. W.) from Crookstown, on the river West Bride, and the roads from Cork City to Macroom and from Mallow to Bandon; containing 1740 inhabitants.

    It comprises 4827 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3519 per ann.; about three-fourths are arable and pasture land; the waste consists chiefly of exhausted bog and some elevated heathy ground in the south; the state of agriculture is unimproved. At Aherlow are extensive and valuable quarries of limestone, which supply the greater part of the vale of Bandon and the interior of the country on both sides for agricultural purposes and for building and ornamental architecture, and from which has been taken stone for the ornamental part of the new court-house of Cork.

    The principal seats are Lodge, the residence of the Rev. P. French; Aherlow, of ??? Barter, Esq.; New Grove, of W. H. Holland, Esq.; and Livias, of Mrs. Ellard.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in ??? Rye, of Rye Court, Esq. The tithes amount to £410, of which £201. 16s. 3d., is payable to the impropriator, and £208. 3s. 9d., to the vicar. The church, a neat small edifice, was erected in 1834 by subscription. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmurry.

    The parochial school is supported by the vicar, and there are several private schools in the parish.

    There are some remains of the old church; and at Cloghduff, in the western part of the parish, great quantities of human bones have been often found, but whether it is some ancient burial-place, or the scene of some long-forgotten battle, is not known.
  • Place
    Kilbonane
  • County
    Kerry
  • Parish
    Kilbonane
  • Content
    KILBONANE, a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 3.50 miles (S. S. E.) from Milltown, on the road to Killarney; containing 3305 inhabitants.

    It is bounded on the south by the river Laune, and comprises 8377 statute acres, as applotted under this tithe act, the greater part of which is in tillage : the soil consists chiefly of a heavy clay, and there is a considerable portion of bog. The state of agriculture is gradually improving ; the lime-stone quarries at Listry are extensively worked and the produce burnt for manure. At Ballymalis are flour-mills, worked by the Gheestan river. Rockville is the property of the representatives of the late John Drew, Esq.

    The parish. is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe ; the rectory is impropriate in the Crosbie family, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Molahiffe. The tithes amount to £369. 4s., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Milltown : the chapel at Listry is a large modern building.

    At Faha is a school-house, with apartments for the master, built in 1834 by Mrs. Raymond, at an expense of £250, for the education of the male children of her tenantry, for which she allows the master £20 per annum : in this and the private schools of the parish about 80 children are educated.

    The ruins of the ancient church are situated near the banks of the Laune ; and at Ballymalis are the remains of the castle of that name.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>