Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Antrim
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 2.25 miles (W. N. W.) from Ballyclare, on the road from Ballymena to Doagh; containing 1849 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 5641 statute acres.

    It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and part of the union of Donegore: the tithes amount to £373. 3s. 4.50d. There is no church; divine service is performed in a school-house every Sunday.

    About 240 children are taught in four private schools, and there are three Sunday schools.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Cavan
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, or CASTLECORR, a parish, partly in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, but chiefly in the barony of CLONMAHON, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Mount-Nugent to Oldcastle ; containing, with the post-town of Mount-Nugent, 4658 inhabitants.

    It comprises 8777 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about three-fifths are arable, a tenth bog, and the remainder pasture : limestone is abundant.

    The principal seats are Bobsgrove; the residence of C. E. J. Nugent, Esq. ; Roebuck, of W. Reilly, Esq. ; and Castlecorr, of W. Webb, Esq.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, the presentation to which is in dispute between the Crown and Lord Dunsany : the tithes amount to £415. 9s. 9d. The church was built in 1809, and has been recently repaired, for which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £157; The glebe-house is supposed to have been erected before the Reformation; the glebe comprises 22 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Killeagh and Kilbride, and has a chapel at Mount-Nugent.

    About 70 children are educated in a public school, for which the house and an acre of land were given by Nugent; and about 350 children are taught in five private schools.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Dublin
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.W.) from Dublin.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and forms part of the union of Clondalkin.

    The church is in ruins.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is united to Lucan, Palmerstown, and Clondalkin.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Kilkenny
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5.50 miles (W. by S.) from New Ross; containing 496 inhabitants, and 2665 statute acres.

    It is a vicarage, episcopally united, in 1779, to that of Kilcoan ; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. John Digby. The tithes amount to £90, which is equally divided between the vicar and the impropriator.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Slieuruagh.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Roscommon
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, partly in the barony of ROSCOMMON, but chiefly in that of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N.) from Roscommon, on the road to Strokestown ; containing 7673 inhabitants.

    It comprises 11,812 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ;there is a large proportion of bog. The land is principally under tillage, but the system of agriculture ts unimproved. Lime-stone abounds.

    The principal seats are Roxborough, the residence of A. Brown, Esq. ; Durham, of H. Corr, Esq. ; Holywell, of C. W. Blakeney, Esq. ; Drumdaf, of T. G. Digby, Esq. ; and Cappa Lodge, of Capt. W. Tattle.

    Petty sessions are held every alternate week at a place called the Four-mile-House.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and forms part of the union of Roscommon ; the rectory is impropriate in the Sandys family. The tithes Amount to £300. 18s., one-half payable to the impropriator and the other to the vicar.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgeffin, also called Kilbride ; a chapel is in progress of erection.

    About 20 children are educated in a public school, and. there are seven private schools, in which are about 450 children. Some remains yet exist of the Abbey of Derrane ; and there are several raths, one of which, on the lands of Holywell, has a treble fosse.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Waterford
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 4 .50 miles (S. by W.) from Waterford, on the bay of Tramore ; containing 483 inhabitants.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, entirely appropriate to the economy estate of the Cathedral, and forms, with the rectory of Island Ikane, the impropriety cure of Kilbride, which is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Waterford ; the tithes amount to £74. 17s. 3d., and there is a glebe of three acres.

    In the R. C. divisions it farms part of the union or district of Dunhill. Here are the ruins of the old castle of Cullen.
  • Place
    Kilbride
  • County
    Wexford
  • Parish
    Kilbride
  • Content
    KILBRIDE, a parish, partly in the barony of GOREY, and partly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2.50 miles (E. S. E.) from Camolin, on the coast road from Gorey to Oulart ; containing 1094 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is situated in the vicinity of Ferns, was, during the disturbances, of 1798, partly occupied by the insurgents, who encamped on Carrigrua Hill in their progress towards Gorey. It comprises 4677 statute acres, of which a considerable portion is excellent grazing land and the remainder under tillage : the system of agriculture is slowly improving. Quarries of good building stone are worked, and jasper has been found in some parts ; there is only a scanty supply of fuel. At considerable quantity of excellent butter is made here and sent to the markets of Gorey and Enniscorthy.

    The gentlemen's seats are Ballymore, the residence of R. Donovan, Esq., a handsome modern mansion beautifully situated in the midst of a richly wooded demesne, and Rockspring, of the Rev. L. Cornock.

    The parish. is in the diocese of Ferns, and the rectory forms a part of the union of that name : the tithes amount to £203. 1s. 6d.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ferns : the chapel, a neat building, is at Kilcissan, or Clorogue ; and there is a place of worship for the Society of Friends at Ballintore.

    About 40 children are educated in a private school. At Ballymore are the ruins of an ancient church, held in such veneration that persons dying within 40 miles of the spot are sometimes buried there.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>