Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Kilcorney
  • County
    Clare
  • Parish
    Kilcorney
  • Content
    KILCORNEY, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, eight miles (N. N. E.) from Curofin near the road from Kilfenora to Ballyvaughan ; containing 335 inhabitants.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, united from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Kilheny and Oughtmanna, which together constitute the union of Kilcorney and corps of the chancellorship of Kilfenora, in the gift of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £20, and those of the union to £165. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of 18.50 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Carrune. About 65 children are educated in a school superintended by the R. C. clergyman.

    The ruins of the ancient church still remain in the burial-ground. Near the village is a remarkable cave, the mouth of which is level with the ground : from the interior of this cave, which is of considerable extent, water is occasionally spouted into the air to a great height, and inundates the plain, although it is at some distance from any river or lake, and nearly 6 miles from the sea.
  • Place
    Kilcorney
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Kilcorney
  • Content
    KILCORNEY a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Millstreet, on the Bogra road to Cork city, containing 1257 inhabitants, and comprising 8606 statute acres, of which, 3474 consist of good arable land, and the remainder of mountain pasture.

    In 1651, a desperate battle was fought at Knockbrack, or Knockiclashy, on the borders of this parish, between the parliamentary forces under Lord Broghill and those commanded by Lord Muskerry. Towards the south and south-east the parish is mountainous, and on the east borders on the Bogra Moors : good building stone is found in several places..

    Kilcorney House, the residence of H. Sherlock, Esq., is an old mansion to which was formerly attached an extensive and finely wooded demesne.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £147. 13s. 10d. There is neither it church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of about 13 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the district of Clonmeen : the chapel, a plain edifice, is situated on the road to Cork. About 80 children are educated a in two private schools. Some vestiges of the old church still exist in the burial-ground.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>