Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Killadoon
  • County
    Kildare
  • Parish
    Killadoon
  • Content
    KILLADOON, a parish, in the barony of NORTH SALT, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 1.50 miles (S. W.) from Celbridge town, on the road from that place to Clane; containing 426 inhabitants.

    It is bounded on the south and east by the river Liffey, and comprises the mansion and park of Killadoon, the handsome seat of the Earl of Leitrim.

    It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Celbridge; the tithes amount to £100.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it also forms part of the union or district of Celbridge.
  • Place
    Killadoon
  • County
    Sligo
  • Parish
    Killadoon
  • Content
    KILLADOON, a parish, in the half-barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7.50 miles (N.N.W.) from Boyle(Co. Roscommon), on Lough Arrow; containing 1525 inhabitants.

    The family of Mac Donogh, lords of Corran and Tirerril, founded a convent here, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, for nuns of the order of St. Dominick in 1427; there are still some ruins on the northern shore of Lough Arrow. The parish comprises 6364 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act, consisting principally of wet spongy land: there is a very large quantity of bog, and limestone is quarried.

    It is a vicarage in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Kilmactraney; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Perceval; the tithes amount to £42, which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Geeragh or Kilmactraney.

    About 170 children are educated in two private schools.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>