Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentKNOCKMOURNE, or KNOCKMORN;, a parish, partly In the barony of BARRYMORE, partly in that of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, but chiefly in that of KINNATALOON, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. w.) from Tallow, on the road to Rathcormac; containing 3144 inhabitants.
It comprises 7514 statute acres, of which 75 are woodland, 250 bog, and the remainder arable land: the soil is good, and there is much limestone and some brown stone.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united at an unknown period, by act of council, to the vicarage of Ballynoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Waterford. The tithes amount to £1010. 12s.9d., which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar, and the tithes of the benefice to £840. 7s. 4.50d., The glebe comprises three acres. The church was rebuilt by a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813.
In the R. C divisions it is the head of a union or district, which includes the parishes of Knockmourne, Ballynoe, and Mogealy; and has chapels at Conna, Ballynoe, and Lisnabrint.
Here is a private school, in which about 70 children are educated.