Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Rathsaran
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Rathsaran
  • Content
    Rathsaran, a parish in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queen's county and province of Leinster 2 3/4 miles (W.) from Rathdowney, on the road from Dublin to Thurles (Co. Tipperary); containing 868 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the county of Tipperary and comprises 2065 statute acres, as aplotted under the tithes act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the Diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £130, and the glebe comprises 114 acres. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £250, and a loan of £550, in 1820, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church was built in 1797, by aid of a gift of £500 from the same board. In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdowney and contains a chapel. The parochial school, in which are about 50 children, is aided by a contribution from the rector, and a grant of £8 per annum from the Society for Discountenancing Vice.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>