Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentTAMLAGHTOCRILEY, a parish,: partly in the barony of COLERAINE, but chiefly in that of LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Portglenone, on the river Bann ; containing 10,070 inhabitants.
The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 16,839 statute acres, the general quality of which is light and cold, with a good deal of moss or bog, being chiefly composed of decomposed basalt ; in some places there are escars of sand and rubble, and in others the bare rocks of basalt rise above the land ; in some districts large detached masses of basalt are scattered in great confusion, so that not more than three-fourths of the land can be said to be available for tillage, the system of which is rapidly improving ; good crops of acorn, flax, and potatoes are produced, and are likely to be still further augmented by reason of the increasing application of lime as manure. There are considerable tracts of turbry in various parts of the parish, in which large trunks of oak and fir are imbedded. Five townlands of the parish belong to the Mercers Company, and are in the manor of Kilrea ; seven belong to the see of Derry, and are in the manor of Maghera, as are also the several glebes. There are three inconsiderable villages,. situated on the western side of the river Bann, namely, Tamlaght, Glenone, and Inisrush.
The gentlemen's seats are Innisrush, the residence of Hercules Ellis, Esq. ; Glenburn, of J. Courtenay, Esq.; Termoneeny glebe house, of the Rev. C. S. Foster ; Hervey-hill, of the Rev. W. Napper, the incumbent; and Glenone, of the Rev. M Bloxham, curate of the chapel of ease.
The living is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Derry, the former in the patronage of the Bishop, and the latter in that of the Incumbent : the tithes amount to £435. 19s., payable to the rector ; the glebe comprises 564 acres, valued at £522. 2s., per annum. The income of the perpetual curate arises from £92. 6s. 2d., payable by the rector, and £4. 7s. 6d., the rent of two houses; he has also a glebe-house, and a glebe of 15 acres, valued at £18. 15s., per annum. The peculiarity of the glebes is worthy of notice : Lisgorgan belongs to the rector of Desertmartin, 6 miles distant ; Ballymacpeake belongs to the rector of Maghera and Termoneeny, upon which stands the glebe-house of the latter; Killymuck belongs to the rector of Kilrea ; and Moneystaghan to the rector of Ballyscullion, besides the glebe of the rector of Tamlaght and the curate of Tyanee chapelry. The church is in the village of Tamlaght : it was rebuilt in 1815 by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits. The chapel at Tyanee is a small neat edifice, in the early English style, built at the private expense of the late Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry, and to the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £150.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Desertoghill ; it contains two chapels, a small one at Greenlough, and a larger one at Drumagarner, both plain buildings.
At Boveedy is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, of the second class ; one lately erected in the village of Tamlaght in connection with the Synod of Ulster; and one at Drumbolg for Covenanters.
About 1200 children are educated in seventeen public schools, of which the parochial school on the glebe is supported by the rector ; those at Lismoyle and Lisnagrott are partly supported by the Mercers' Company ; one at Gortmacrane is aided by R. Heyland, Esq ; those at Tyanee and Greenlough are under the National Board, and twelve are in connection with the London Hibernian Society. There are also two private schools, in which are about 70 children; and seven Sunday schools.
The Rev. Ralph Mansfield, about 80 years since, bequeathed £100 to the poor of the parish, of which only £50 remains, the interest of which is distributed twice a year. There are some remains of ancient fortifications; and at Tivaconway is a Druidical circle. On a rising ground above the village is the sepulchral cave, or Tamlachta, from which the parish derives its name.