Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.

  • Place
    Tankardstown
  • County
    Kildare
  • Parish
    Tankardstown
  • Content
    TANKARDSTOWN - A parish , partly in the barony of Ballyadams, Queens' county and partly in that of Kilkea and Moone, county of Kildare, province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.) from Athy (Co. Kildare), on the road to Carlow; containing 1918 inhabitants.

    It is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 8938 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, and valued at £4056 per annum.: within its limits are some quarries for limestone. The state of agriculture is progressively improving, and the barrow navigation affords a facility for the conveyance of its products to Waterford.

    The seats are Kilmoroney, the improved and very handsome residence of the very Rev. Dean Trench; Farm H??: Geo. Evans Esq., and Leinster Lodge of J.P. ??? Esq.,

    The parish is in the Diocese of Dublin, and the rectory and vicarage forming part of the union of Athy; the tithes amount to £325.19.4.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it is also part of the union of Athy.

    About 120 children are educated in a school under the educational board; and there is a private school in which there are about 30 children. On the margin of the river Barrow is a Danish rath.
  • Place
    Tankardstown
  • County
    Laois
  • Parish
    Tankardstown
  • Content
    TANKARDSTOWN - A parish , partly in the barony of Ballyadams, Queens' county and partly in that of Kilkea and Moone, county of Kildare, province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.) from Athy (Co. Kildare), on the road to Carlow; containing 1918 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 8938 statute acres, as apploted under the tithe act, and valued at £4056 per annum.: within its limits are some quarries for limestone. The state of agriculture is progressively improving, and the barrow navigation affords a facility for the conveyance of its products to Waterford. The seats are Kilmoroney, the improved and very handsome residence of the very Rev. Dean Trench; Farm H??: Geo. Evans Esq., and Leinster Lodge of J.P. ??? Esq., The parish is in the Diocese of Dublin, and the rectory and vicarage forming part of the union of Athy; the tithes amount to £325.19.4. In the Roman Catholic divisions it is also part of the union of Athy. About 120 children are educated in a school under the educational board; and there is a private school in which there are about 30 children. On the margin of the river Barrow is a Danish rath.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Ireland</a>