Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBALLYCOTTON, a village and plough-land, in the parish of CLOYNE, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Cloyne ; containing 856 inhabitants.
This is an isolated portion of the parish, situated on the shore of a bay of the same name in St. George's channel, six miles from Poor Head, and consists of a scattered village comprising about 150 small houses: it is much frequented in the summer for sea-bathing. At the entrance of the bay are two isles called the Ballycotton islands, situated five miles (w. by s.) from Capell or Cable Island, and about one mile from the main land. This is one of the five stations of the coast-guard that are comprised within the district of Youghal. A new district church for the accommodation of the inhabitants of Ballycotton and Churchtown was built not far from the village, in 1835, at an expense of £330, raised by subscription.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop; and the curate's stipend is paid partly by the dean and chapter and the vicars choral of the cathedral church of Cloyne, to whom the tithes of the parish belong, and partly by the precentor, as rector of Churchtown. The male and female parochial schools for Ballycotton, Churchtown, and Kilmahon are situated at Ballybraher.