Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBALLYMACARTHY, a village, in the parish of KILMALODA, Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER; 3 miles (E.) from Clonakilty; containing 161 inhabitants.
During the disturbances of 1798 this place was the scene of an obstinate engagement between a party of the insurgent forces and some companies of the Westmeath militia, which would have terminated in the defeat of the latter, but for the arrival of the Caithness legion from Bandon, which came very opportunely to their aid.
The village is situated on the road from Bandon to Clonakilty, and consists of 32 houses, some of which are large and well built: the new road connecting these two towns here crosses the old line. Close adjoining are the extensive mills of Messrs. Swete and Co., in which more than 8000 barrels of wheat are annually ground into flour for the supply of the neighbouring towns.