Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentBALLYMAGOOLY, a village, in the parish of RABAN, barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (E.) from Mallow; the population is returned with the parish.
This place, which is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Blackwater, and on the road from Mallow to Fermoy, consists chiefly of a range of small houses stretching along the south side of the road; and between it and the Blackwater is Ballymagooly, the handsome seat of J. Courtenay, Esq., commanding a fine view of the beautiful scenery on the banks of the river: it was the site of the ancient castle of that name, which was garrisoned by the English in 1691, and its relief in that year gave rise to the battle of Bottle Hill.
The parish church, at a short distance from the village, towards the river, with its churchyard surrounded with trees, is a pleasing object. The parochial school-house, a neat building, is situated towards the east end of the village.