Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentCALVES ISLANDS, in the parishes of Kilcoe and skull, barony of West Carbery, county of Cork, and province of Munster, 6 miles (S.W.) from Ballydehob; containing 86 inhabitants. They are three in number, and are situated at the entrance to Roaring-water bay off the harbour of Skull: the largest called the Middle Calf, contains 78 statute acres; the second in size, called the East Calf, contains 75 acres; and the third, called Leacrer, or the West Calf, 65 acres. There are two families in West calf, and six in Middle calf, which beloing to the parish of Skull, and five families in East calf which forms part of the parish of Kilcoe. The islands are contiguous, lying in a line nearly east and west, about mid-way between Cape Clear and Long Island, and about 5 Irish or 6 1/4 British miles from the mainland.
A school was established in 1835 on the Middle Island, in which all the children and adults of these islands may receive gratuitous education; 18 children and 14 adults were in this school at the commencement of 1836.