Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Cork

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.

  • Place
    Kilcully
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Kilcully
  • Content
    KILCULLY, a parish, in the county of the city of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2.25 miles (N.) from Cork City, on the road from that city to Mallow; containing 447 inhabitants.

    It comprises 1734 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2669 per annum, and consists principally of dairy farms. The land is based upon clay-slate, and is generally fertile and well cultivated: here is a very large flour-mill.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £127. 19s. 8d. Divine service is performed in a house licensed by the bishop.

    In the Roman Catholi divisions it forms part of the union or district of Upper Glanmire. Here are some remains of the church, and not far distant are the ruins of Rahinisky castle.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/cork/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Cork</a>