Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.
ContentKILCUMMER, a parish, in the barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1.50 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castletown-Roche, on the road from Mallow to Fermoy, and on the rivers Awbeg and Blackwater; containing 812 inhabitants, and comprising 2480 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1787 per annum.
The land, with the exception of the portion on the south side of the river Blackwater, forming part of the Nagle mountains, is of medium quality, and chiefly in tillage. Fairs are held on the 21st of April, July, Sept., and Dec., for cattle and pigs.
The seats are Woodville, the residence of Mrs. Gibbons; and Renny, the property of H. Smith, Esq. The latter was formerly part of the estate, and the occasional residence of the poet Spenser; it is finely situated at the junction of the Awbeg with the Blackwater; and some vestiges of the old castle of Renny still exist near the present house. At a short distance from this place the Awbeg is crossed by the long bridge of Kilcummer, and near the high road leading to the bridge are the ruins of the ancient church.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £132.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Castletown-Roche.
About 15 children are educated in a private school.