Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Cork

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Cork.

  • Place
    Kilmurry
  • County
    Cork
  • Parish
    Kilmurry
  • Content
    KILMURRY, a parish, partly in the Western Divion of the barony of EAST CARBERY, but chiefly in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Macroom, on the road to Bandon; containing 4147 inhabitants.

    Its suface is undulating, and it substratum slate; the soil is generally cold and badly cultivated, except the demesne farm of Sir Augustus Warren, Bart., of Warren's Court,which is a large and handsome house in an extensive and well planted demesne, in which are the ruins of the old church of Milbarry or Macloneigh. The other seats are Ballytrasna, that of the Rev. B. Gash; Shandangan, of S. Penrose, Esq.; Greenville, of B. Swete, Esq.; and Elmville, of T. Gollock, Esq.

    At the village is a constabulary police station and fairs are held on Feb. 1st, May 1st, Sept. 8th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 21st; principally for horned cattle and pigs.

    It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Cork; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire, who pays the curate of Moviddy a stipend for performing the parochial duties. The tithes amount to £750, but have not been paid for forty years.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilmichael, and has a small chapel in the village. There are four hedge schools in which are about 180 children.

    Here is the shattered ruin of the ancient castle of Clodagh, built by McCarty More. The remains of the old church are near the village, and near the boundary of Kilmichael parish are the ruins of Dunisky church.
  • Place
    Kilmurry
  • County
    Limerick
  • Parish
    Kilmurry
  • Content
    KILMURRY, a parish, in the county of the city of LIMERICK, province of MUNSTER, 2.25 miles (E.) from Limerick city, on the southern bank of the river Shannon; containing 1803 inhabitants.

    It comprises 3277 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, besides 14.50 acres of glebe and about 35 acres of bog. The soil is very fertile, and the land is mostly meadow or pasture, and is well planted near the Shannon. Limestone is quarried at Newcastle and other places in the parish. There are a paper and an oil mill at Ballyclough, a paper-mill at Annacotty, and flour-mills at Ballysimon.

    The principal seats are at Newcastle, the residence of M. O'Brien, Esq.; Plassy, of R. Harvey, Esq.; Milford, of T. Fitzgerald, Esq.; Shannon View, of T. Kelly, Esq.; Willow Bank, of Captain Hickey; Shannon Cottage, of G. McKern, Esq.; Killonan Cottage, of H. Rose, Esq.; and Ballyclough, of P. Cudmore, Esq.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, espiscopally united in 1792 to the rectory of Derrygalvin, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the bishop: the tithes amount to £364, and of the union to £492. The glebe-house was erected in 1790, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits: there are three glebes, comprising together 14.50 acres. The church is a substantial edifice, with a tower and spire of hewn stone; for its erection the same Board granted a loan of £580, in 1812.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of St. Patrick's, Limerick.

    About 120 children are educated in three private schools. On the banks of the Shannon, boldly situated on a basaltic rock, are the ruins of Castle Troy, which was erected by Dermot O'Brien in the reign of Henry 3rd.; above it is a modern gazebo, and not far distant are the ruins of the ancient church of Killonan or Killowen.
  • Place
    Kilmurry
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
    Kilmurry
  • Content
    KILMURRY a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 .50 miles (N.W. by N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, near the river Suir and the high road from Clonmel to Waterford; containing 2220 inhabitants.

    It is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Kilsheelan: the tithes amount to £504 18s. 11d.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is united with Grange-Mockler; there is a chapel in each.

    There is a private school, in which about 100 children are educated.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/cork/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Cork</a>