Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Donegal

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Donegal.

  • Place
    Inver
  • County
    Antrim
  • Parish
    Inver
  • Content
    INVER, a parish, in the barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, adjoining the post-town of Larne, and containing 953 inhabitants.

    This parish is situated on the Larne water, and on the shore of Larne Lough, and is bounded on the east by the sea. It is said to have been at a very early period the site of a priory, of which the only remains are the present parish church. During the disturbances of 1798, many of the insurgents made their escape to this place after their defeat in the battle of Antrim.

    It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1773 statute acres, which are generally in a state of profitable cultivation; there is neither bog nor waste land. Inver Lodge is the seat of G. Whitla, Esq.; and Inver House, of Archibald Barklie, Esq. Here are some very spacious flour-mills, and adjoining them are extensive premises for bleaching and finishing linen cloth, of which 30,000 webs are annually bleached, exclusively of large quantities finished in their brown state. Iron-stone abounds, but is not worked, though every facility of conveyance is afforded by a safe harbour and good quay room.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, forming part of the union of Carrickfergus and of the corps of the deanery of Connor; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Donegal. The tithes amount to £70, of which £40 is payable to the impropriator and £30 to the vicar. The church, formerly that of the priory, has been so disfigured with plaister, as to have lost all originality of character; it has been appropriated to the perpetual curacy of Larne, in the patronage of the Dean.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Larne and Carrickfergus. About 70 children are taught in the national school at Ballysnood.

    There are the remains of a small fort on the banks of the river, near the church.
  • Place
    Inver
  • County
    Donegal
  • Parish
    Inver
  • Content
    INVER, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Donegal town; containing, with the town of Mount Charles (which is described under its own head), 11,785 inhabitants.

    This parish, which is also called Invernayle, is situated on the river and bay of Inver, on the north-west coast ; and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 36,810.75 statute acres, of which 35,943 are applotted under the tithe act, and 205 1/3 are water. St. Natalis, who died in 563, was abbot of a monastery here, on the site of which was founded, in the 15th century, a monastery for Franciscans of the third order, which after the dissolution was granted by Jas. I. to Viscount Clandeboy. The bay of Inver lies between Doorin Point and St. John's Point, both of which are included in this parish; and within the bay is Port harbour, on the south of which, at Ballymacdonnell, vessels may anchor in from three to six fathoms of water during north-west or south-east winds. In a precipice on the coast of the bay are indications of iron-ore, but none has yet been worked. stairs are held at Mount Charles, which has a penny post to Ardara, Donegal, and Killybegs.

    The principal seats are White Hill, the residence of the Rev. Montgomery; Bonny Glen, of Murray Babington, Esq. ; and the Hall, of Col. Pratt.

    The living is a consolidated rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, constituting the corps of the prebend of Inver in Raphoe cathedral, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £346. 3s. 1d. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 210 acres, of which 97 are cultivated. The church, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £186, is a spacious edifice with a spire.

    The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church : the chapel is a spacious edifice.

    About 360 children are taught in five public schools, of which the parochial school is partly supported by grants from Col. Robertson's fund, a school at Mountcharles by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, and a school by the Wesleyan Missionary Society. There are also 12 private schools, in which are about 350 children, and four Sunday schools.

    In the bog of Drumkellin, in this parish, was found, in 1833, at a depth of 16 feet beneath the surface, a wooden house 12 feet square and 9 feet high, with a roof perfectly flat, completely framed and compactly joined; the frame-work consisted of large trunks of trees, the sides of cleft planks of oak about three inches thick, and the joints were cemented with a composition resembling tar and grease. The house rested on thick layers of sand and gravel spread on the bog, which was 15 feet deep beneath its foundation ; and traces of a paved road leading to it, and resting on sleepers of timber, with numerous vestiges of domestic utensils, were found in several places around the building.
Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/lewis-topographical-dictionary/donegal/">Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Donegal</a>