Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Donegal.
ContentKILBARRON, a parish, in the barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTeR, on the road from Donegal town to Enniskillen (Co. Fermanagh); containing, with the greater part of the sea-port, and market and post-town of Ballyshannon, 10,521 inhabitants.
St. Columb founded a church here, of which Barrind was bishop about the year 590. According to the Ordnance survey, the parish comprises 23,932.75 statute acres, of which 915.25 are water. About half is arable ; the remainder is meadow, pasture, and mountain land, and there is a sufficient extent of bog. In addition to the usual crops, great quantities of carrots and onions are raised in the open fields. The Abbey river, which flows into Abbey bay, in Ballyshannon harbour, contains eel, trout, and salmon ; and off the coast most kinds of sea fish are abundant, but are preyed upon by a kind of small shark, or dog- fish. During spring and summer here are many seals, and the coast is frequently visited by large whales, and great numbers of skate and thornback are taken with the long line. Sandstone and whinstone are found at Kildoney, and a kind of stone coal appears in the cliff overhanging the sea; the seam is about 7 inches thick and dips towards the land. In boring for coal, emery has been discovered about 12 feet below the surface.
The principal seats are Parkhill, belonging to the representatives of the late J. O'Neil, Esq. ; Cavan Garden, the residence of T. J. Atkinson, Esq. ; Cherrymount, of Dr. Crawford ; Camlin Tredennick, of I. Tredennick, Esq. ; Fort William, of W. Tredennick, Esq. ; Dandy, of J. Forbes, Esq. ; Wardton, of J. Folliott, Esq. ; Laputa, of J. F. Johnston, Esq. ; and Cliff, of Col. Conolly, who has greatly benefited this part of the county, in which he is one of the largest proprietors, having for many years expended at least £1000 per annum an agricultural implements ; flax seed, dispensaries, schools, and roads ; in addition to which he has expended large sums on the improvement of Ballyshannon harbour.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the gift of Col. Conolly, in whom the rectory is impropriate. Of the 44 townlands comprised within the parish, only four pay full tithe, three are subject to a small modus, and the remainder are tithe-free : the tithes amount to £45, of. which £26 is payable to the impropriator, and £19 to the. Vicar. The church was erected in 1745 on an eminence near the town, and is the prncipal landmark for vessels entering the harbour. Divine service is also performed in a school-house. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which a gift of £100, and a loan of £675, were granted, in 1810, by the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 316 acres.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church : the chapel, in Ballyshannon, is a large neat building, erected in 1795 ; another at Castleard was erected in 1832, and has a burial-ground.
There are also places of worship for Presbyterians, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
About 580 children are educated in seven public schools, to one of which Col. Conolly subscribes £8 annually; and about 580 are taught in ten private schools ; there are also seven Sunday schools.
Near the glebe-house, on a stupendous rock rising almost perpendicularly out of the sea, are the ruins of the castle of Kilbarron, which is supposed to have been inhabited by freebooters. Within the parish are fourteen Danish raths ; and in the harbour of Ballyshannon, at the mouth of the Erne, there was formerly an island, called Inis Samer, where, according to the Munster annals. was a religious house, in which Flaherty O'Maoldora, King of Conall, or Tyrconnell, having renounced the world, died in 1197.
There is a chalybeate spring in the parish.
ContentKILBARRON a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.) of Burris-o-Kane, on the road from Killaloe to Portumna (Co. Galway); containing 2590 inhabitants.
It comprises 7575 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly under tillage; about 150 acres are called the Commons of Kearney. Coarse limestone and a kind of red and white marble are found here, and lead was formerly obtained. here is a constabulary police station.
The principal seats are Annah, the residence of J. Minchin, Esq.; Bellevue, of G.W. Biggs, Esq.; Mota, of T. Pepper Roberts, Esq.; Gurthmunger, of the Rev. R. Stoney; Annah Castle, of Joseph O. Tabourdeau, Esq.; Kilgarvin, of E. Cambie, Esq.; Waterloo Lodge, of the Rev. R.P. Vaughan; Garrane, of W. Legge, Esq.; and Castletown, of C. Cambie, Esq., a handsome castellated building on an eminence near the river Shannon, commanding beautiful views of Lough Derg and the mountain scenery of counties Clare and Galway.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Capt. Ralph Smith. The tithes amount to £360, of which £240 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a neat building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £1000 in 1822. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of about 8 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Terryglass and Finoe, and containing two chapels.
About 40 children are educated in a public school, and about 150 in three private schools.
Here are the ruins of an ancient church, also of four castles, called Cush-lawn-Thullahawn, Cush-lawn-Thiggeburht, Annah, and Ballycollaton. Island More, in Lough Derg, containing about 130 Irish acres, belongs to this parish, but is considered to be in the county of Galway.