Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Donegal.
ContentKILCAR or KILKARAGH, the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Killybegs, containing 4319 inhabitants.
St. Carthach, whose festival is kept on the 5th of March, is supposed to have presided over a monastery here so early as the year 540. According to the Ordnance Survey, it comprises 18,883 statute acres, about one-sixth of which are arable, the remainder bog and mountain land. Agriculture is in a very backward state, and there is not a single tree in the parish. Fairs are held quarterly for cattle, yarn, and flannel.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £125. The church is a small handsome building, erected in 1828. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 840 acres.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with the that of the Established Church, and has a large new chapel. The parochial school, in which are about 100 children, is endowed with a grant from Col. Robertson's f fund, and there are three other schools and a dispensary.