Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Donegal.
ContentKILLYGARVAN, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 12 miles (N. E. by N.) from Letterkenny ; containing, with the town of Rathmullen, 3643 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 9132 statute acres.
It is in the diocese of Raphoe, and was formerly part of the corps of the deanery, from which it was separated by act of council, in 1835, and is now a rectory and vicarage, in the gift of the Crown : the tithes amount to £154. The church is a plain building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £300, and lent £500, in 1813. The Board also it gave £450, and lent £50 for the erection of a glebe-house, in 1818 : the glebe comprises 5a. 1r. 17p.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Tullyaughnish, and has a chapel.
There is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and one for Wesleyan Methodists.
About 110 children are educated in two public schools, one of which is supported by donations from Col. Robertson's fund, and about 70 in a private school ; there is also a Sunday school.