Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Monaghan.
ContentMUCKNOE (also known as Macrey), a parish, in the barony of CREMORNE, county of MONAGHAN and province of ULSTER, on the road from Carrickmacross to Armagh ; containing, with the post-town of Castle-Blayney, 9717 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 17,194 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, of which 14,155 are applotted under the tithe act, 377.75 are in Mucknoe lake, and 163 in smaller lakes ; the land consists chiefly of arable and pasture, but there are large detached tracts of bog, and a considerable portion is mountain, of which Mullyash rises 1034 feet above the level of the sea. The principal crops are oats, flax, and potatoes : stone quarries are worked for-building ; and there are two corn-mills. Monthly fairs are held at Castle-Blayney.
Castle-Blayney, the seat of Lord Blayney, is noticed under the head of that town.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £436. 3s. 1d. The glebe-house was erected in 1828, at an expense of £1057, of which £184 was a gift and £553 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 20 acres, valued at £39 per annum. The church stands in Castle-Blayney : it was erected in 1810 by a loan of £1000 from the same Board, and gifts of £200 from the late Lord Blayney, £100 from Lord Templeton, and £50 from Lady Eliz. Alexander.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is partly in the union of Clontibret, and partly a benefice in itself ; it has two chapels, one at Oram, and the other in Castle-Blayney, which is a neat building.
There are four places of worship for Presbyterians ; one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class ; two at Frankfort and Carmoney Grove, in connection with the Seceding Synod, the latter of the second class ; and one belonging to the Scotch Covenanters. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists.
About 700 children are educated in 11 public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by the incumbent ; and a female school is supported by Lady Blayney ; and in 11 private schools are about 540 children.