Category Archives: Dublin

Religious (Roman Catholic) Education, 1846, Co. Dublin

48 Parishes
9 in city and 39 in the country


Archbishop and Primate of Ireland: His Grace the most Rev. Daniel Murray, D.D.,
9, Mountjoy Square, Dublin

Venerable Chapter of the Archdiocese of Dublin
Dean: Very Rev. Walter Meyler, V.G., St. Andrew\’s, Dublin
Vicar-General & Precentor: Very Rev. Wm. Yore, St. Paul\’s, Dublin
Chancellor: Rev. M. Flanagan, St. Nicholas Without, Dublin
Treasurer: Rev. A. O\’Connell, D.D., SS Michael & John, Dublin
Archdeacon of Dublin. Ven. John Hamilton, St. Mary\’s, Dublin
Archdeacon of Glendalough: Very Rev. John Grant, Wicklow.

PREBENDARIES
Kilmactalway: Rev. Laurence Dunne, Castledermott
Swords: Rev. Wm. Stafford, Rathmines
Castleknock: Rev. John Ennis, D.D., Booterstown, Dublin
Mulhuddard: Rev. A. Costigan, Lusk, Dublin
St. Audoen: Rev. B. Sheridan, Kingstown
St. Jago: Rev. P. Woods, Celbridge
Wicklow: Rev. John Hyland, Dunlavin
Timothan: Rev. J. Monks, St. Audoen\’s
Tipper: Rev. Mathias Kelly, Clondalkin
Tassagar: Rev. James W. M\’Gauley, St. Mary\’s, Dublin
Howth: Rev. Cornelius Rooney, St. Andrew\’s, Dublin
Maynooth: Rev. John Miley, D.D., St. Mary\’s, Dublin
Howth: Rev. Charles Jos. Finn, D.D., Irishtown
Rathmichael: Rev. James Callanan, Clontarf
Monmohenoc: Rev. A. Roche, Bray

Tipperkevin – one part: Rev. T. Laphen, D.D., St. Mary\’s, Dublin
Tipperkevin: second part: Rev. P.J. Doyle, St. Michen\’s, Dublin

Donaghmore in Omaile: one part: Rec. P. Kearney, St. Catherine\’s, Dublin
Donaghmore in Omaile: second part: Rev. W. Meagher, St. Mary\’s, Dublin

Stagonily: Rev. Peter Cooper, St. Mary\’s, Dublin
Clonmethan: Rev. A. Quinn, D.D., St. Andrew\’s
Cullen: Rev. M. Toole, Narraghmore

N.B. Those with V.F. Attached to their names (Vicars Foreign) are Masters of Conferences or Rural Deans.

Convents and Regular Clergy of Archdiocese of Dublin
Augustinians, John Street
Right Rev. Dr. O\’Connor, Bishop of Saldes
V. Rev. Charles Stuart, Prov.
V. Rev. J. O\’Neil, ex. Pro
Rev. James Spratt
Rev. Patrick Pentony
Rev. John Walsh

Capuchins, St. Francis, Church Street.
V. Rev. J.J.F. Murphy, Guardian
Rev. Wm. Brophy
Rev. J.P. Hanly
Rev. J.B. Buckley
Rev. P.F. Duggan
Rev. D.T. Ashe
Rev. Edward M\’Sweeny

Calced Carmelites, Whitefriar St.
V. Rev. Richard Colgan, Prov.
Rev. Edward Rorke, Prior
V. Rev. William Withers
V. Rev. William Kinsella
Rev. Andrew Day
V. Rev. John Spratt, S.T., M. Com. Genl. of England & France
Rev. Michael E. Tobin
Rev. M. Keane

Dominicans, Denmark St.,
V. Rev. W. Vin. Harold, D.D., Prior
Rev. P. Kelly
Rev. Luke D. Dempsey
Rev. James T. Murphy
Rev. Robert Austin White

Discalced Carmelites, Clarendon St.
V. Rev. R.J. O\’Hanlon, Prov.
Rev. J. Maher, Prior
Rev. James Oates
Rev. Christobal Nogueras
Rev. Edward Hyland
Rev. James Finegan
Rev. Daniel Hogan

Franciscans, Merchant\’s Quay
V. Rev. John Mullock, Guardian
Rev. John Murphy
Rev. P. M\’Cabe
Rev. Charles Browne
Rev. P. M\’Auley
Rev. Timothy Banan

Society of Jesus, Church of Saint Xavier, Upper Gardiner st.
Rev. J. Curtis, Superior
Rev. Charles Aylmer
Rev. Charles Young
Rev. Charles Ferguson
Rev. Patrick Meagher
Rev. Michael Kavanagh
Rev. Dr. H. Sheehan
Rev. William Ryan
Rev. Mr. Quirk
Rev. James M\’Donnell

Society of Vincent De Paul, Castleknock
V. Rev. Philip Dowley, Pr.
Rev. John M\’Cann
Rev. Thomas M\’Namara
Rev. James Lynch
Rev. Roger Kickham
Rev. Michael Burke
Rev. Thomas Kelly.

Total: Bishop 1 ; Parish Priests 47; Curates 106; Chapels 122;
Other Clergymen unemployed 10
Regulars 50
Total 214

Provincials of Religious Orders in Ireland
Society of Jesus: Very Rev. Robert St. Leger, Gardiner Street
Dominicans : Very Rev. Patrick Dunne, Dundalk
Franciscans: Very Rev. Edward Hogan, Cork
Capuchins: Very Rev. Theobald Mathew, Cove street, Cork
Augustinians: Very Rev. Charles Stuart, John-street, Dublin
Ground Carmelites: Very Rev. Richard Colgan, Whitefriar-st., Dublin
Discalced Carmelites: V. Rev. R.J. O\’Hanlon, Clarendon-st., Dublin
C. Carmelites of England & France: Com. Gen. V. Rev. John Spratt, Aungier street, Dublin
New Catholic College of All-hallows for foreign missions : Rev. John Hand, President, Clonturk, Drumcondra and 37 Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin (see details at end of Dublin)

In addition to the clergymen attached to the Parish Churches, Friaries and Nunneries, there are others who officiate in Monasteries or public establishments in this archdiocese; as:
Rev. Patrick Murphy, D.D., Chaplin to N. Dublin Union, House of Industry and Richmond Lunatic Asylum
Rev. Edward Murphy, Assistant to above
Rev. R. Henry, C. south district and North William-st., Convent.
Rev. Mr. Smith, Chaplain to St. Joseph\’s Monastery, Clondalkin
Rev. L. Brenan, O.S.D., Convent, Athy
Rev. George Canavan, P.P., Chaplain of South Union Workhouse
Rev. P.J. Coyle, St. Andrew\’s
Rev. Laur. Parsley, (of St. Paul\’s Church) Chaplain to the Garrison
Rev. J. M\’Cann (of St. Michan\’s Church) Chaplain of Newgate and Sheriff\’s Prisons
Rev. B. Kirby, Chaplain to Richmond Penitentiary, Granggorman lane
Rev. Michael Bernard Carroll, Phibsborough. Chaplain to Asylum, Dominick st., and Upper Baggot st.
Rev. J. Murphy, officiates in St. Joseph\’s Asylum
Rev. Mr. Maguire, officiates in Denmark st.
Rev. Mr. Devereux, officiates in Denmark st., Dublin.

The Churches & Convents to which Letters of Aggregation have been given by the Irish V.P., St. Mary\’s Church, Rathmines:

Ven. & Rev. J. Hamilton, Church of the Conception
Rev. Thomas Dempsey, Lurgan, Londonderry
Rev. Henry O\’Shea, St. Francis\’ Church, Merchant\’s Quay
The Religious Convent of St. Joseph, Ranelagh
The Religious Convent of St. Clare, Harold\’s Cross
Rev. James Fitzpatrick, P.P. Castletownroach
Rev. Patrick Smyth, P.P. Sandyford and Glencullen
Rev. Thomas O\’Dwyer, Castletown, Enniskerry
Rev. Michael Malone ad the congregation of St. Francis, city of Limerick
Rev. Peter Magrath and the Isle of Man
Rev. James Hughes, and the College of Carlow
St. Joseph\’s Convent, Cahirciveen, Kerry
Presentation Convent, George\’s Hill
Presentation Convent, Mullingar
Religious of the Convent Carlow
Religious of the Sisters of Mercy, Carlow
Religious of the Church of St. Margaret\’s, Finglas
Church of St. Andrew, Westland Row, Dublin
Religious Sisters of Loretto at Calcutta
Religious Sisters of St. Catherine, Sion Hill
Church of St. Catherine, Meath street
Inmates of St. Joseph, Portland Row
Presentation Convent, Tralee
Carmelite Convent, Delgany
Inmates of the Prison, Circular Road
Late Rev. Peter Tyrrell, P.P., Lusk
St. Mary\’s Asylum, Drumcondra

Nunneries, Dublin
Sisters of Charity, Stanhope St.
Prioress: Mrs. Sweetman
Chaplain: Rev. J.J.F. Murphy
No. of Religious: 20
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: 54 Young women supported

Sisters of Charity, Upper Gardiner St.
Prioress: Mrs. Walsh
No. of Religious: 14
Poor Children: 300
Remarks: None

Sisters of Charity, Stephen\’s Green
Prioress: Mrs. M\’Carthy
Chaplain: Rev. Mr. Mulhall
No. of Religious: 8
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: 80 sick in hospital
These houses are also called \’Institute of the Blessed Virgin.

Sisters of Charity, Donnybrook
Prioress: Mrs. Knaresboro
Chaplain: Rev. Mr. O\’Donohoe
No. of Religious: 6
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: 50 Penitents in Asylum

Sisters of Charity, Sandymount
Prioress: Mrs. Ennis
Chaplain: Curates of Parish
No. of Religious: 6
Poor Children: 100
Remarks: None

Sisters of Charity, Harold\’s Cross
Prioress: Mrs. Clifford
Chaplain: Curates of Parish
No. of Religious: 14
Poor Children: 300
Remarks: Large school for children

Sisters of Mercy, Up. Baggot st.
Prioress: Mrs. Marmion
Chaplain: Rev. D. Collier
No. of Religious: 36
Poor Children: 300
Remarks: 72 young women supported

Sisters of Mercy, Booterstown
Prioress: Not named
Chaplain: Curates of parish
No. of Religious: 8
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: None

Loreto Abbey, Rathfarnham.
Prioress: Mrs. Ball
Chaplain: Rev. Mr. Farrelly
No. of Religious: 20
Poor Children: 50
Remarks: Boarders 52, day pupils 18

Loreto Abbey, 43, N. Great George\’s Street.
Prioress: Mrs. Somers
Chaplain: Rev. Joseph Lynch
No. of Religious: 9
Poor Children: 44
Remarks: Boarders 6 day pupils 36

Loreto Abbey, 52, St. Stephen\’s Green
Prioress: Mrs. Hickey
Chaplain: Rev. G. Lynch
No. of Religious: 9
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: Boarders 9, day pupils 30

Loreto Abbey, Dalkey, Novte.
Prioress: Mrs. Lopez
Chaplain: Rev. Joseph Kelly
No. of Religious: 28
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: Boarders 24, day pupils 36

St. Teresa, Warrenmount
Prioress: Mrs. Rorke
Chaplain: Rev. T. Harmon
No. of Religious: 17
Poor Children: 100
Remarks: Female orphans

Immc. Conception, William Street
Prioress: Mrs. Curran
Chaplain: Rev. Richd. Henry
No. of Religious: 17
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: Day & Boarding school

Infant Jesus, Rathmines
Prioress: None named
Chaplain: None named
No. of Religious: 11
Poor Children: 150
Remarks: Day & Boarding school

Mount Carmel, Blackrock
Prioress: Mrs. White
Chaplain: Clergy of Parish
No. of Religious: 20
Poor Children: 150
Remarks: Day & Boarding school

Assumption, Firhouse
Prioress: Mrs. Fitzgerald
Chaplain: Rev. Mr. Donohoe
No. of Religious: 11
Poor Children: 150
Remarks: Day & Boarding school

Incarnation, Blanchardstown
Prioress: Mrs. Magrane
Chaplain: Clergy of St. Vinct.
No. of Religious: 10
Poor Children: 150
Remarks: None

Imac. Heart of Mary, Delgany
Prioress: None named
Chaplain: Rev. Mr. Fagan, P.P.
No. of Religious: 8
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: Schools not yet finished

St. Clare, Harold\’s Cross
Prioress: Mrs. Young
Chaplain: Rev. Ths. Cassidy
No. of Religious: 28
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: 90 orphans

St. Mary\’s, Cabra
Prioress: Mrs. Maher
Chaplain: Cler of St. Vinct.
No. of Religious: 21
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: Exellent boarding school

Sisters of St. Domnk., Booterstown
Prioress: Mrs. Butler
Chaplain: Rev. B. Dowling
No. of Religious: 14
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: Boarding school

Sisters of Dominick, Usher\’s Quay
Prioress: None named
Chaplain: Cler. of St. Vincts.
No. of Religious: 4
Poor Children: 0
Remarks: Boarding school

Presentation, George\’s Hill
Prioress: Mrs. Doyle
Chaplain: Rev. P. Farrell
No. of Religious: 14
Poor Children: 309
Remarks: Large day school

Presentation, Richmond
Prioress: Not named
Chaplain: Rev. Cler. Of All-hal. Col.
No. of Religious: 10
Poor Children: 200
Remarks: Large day school

The Book of Kells, Co. Dublin

Dublin has many places of interest and attractions to make a visit to Ireland’s capital city a memorable one. For those who like to enjoy a more cultural or literary break, a trip to the Trinity College Library where the famous Book of Kells is housed, is a must.


Getting there can be achieved using Dublin’s public transport system, but if you are staying outside the city or want some more freedom to explore the capitals sites, there are a number of Dublin car hire companies at hand, with many situated at Dublin airport itself.

The Book of Kells is a manuscript that was transcribed in Latin by Celtic monks in 800 AD and contains the four Gospels of the New Testament along with an assortment of prefatory texts and tables. The wording of the Gospels is largely taken from the Vulgate, but also includes sections from the earlier versions of the Bible known as the Vetus Latina.

The Book of Kells is a work of genius of Western calligraphy and is widely regarded as the most excellent of Ireland’s national treasures.

The illustration and decorations of the manuscript combines traditional Christian iconography with the elaborate swirling motifs that are associated with insular art. The pages within the Book of Kells are adorned with figures of humans, animals and mythical beasts, along with Celtic knots and interweaving patterns in energetic and vibrant colours.

Today the document comprises 340 sheets and was delicately bound in four volumes back in 1953. It is now permanently displayed at the Trinity College Library, Dublin, but was before this, kept at the Abbey of Kells for centuries which is where the book took its name from. Two of the current four documents are usually exhibited at any one time and this will generally be one showing a major illustration and the other displaying the typical text pages of the manuscript.

This is a wonderful piece of ancient literature and an essential place to visit to enjoy one of Ireland’s most historical national treasures.

Roman Catholic Parishes, 1836: Parish Index

This page features a list of over 1,300 record parishes from the Roman Catholic Parishes index of 1836.


The Historical Record, Co. Dublin

CONTENTS
March, 1938


The Beginnings of Municipal Government in Dublin.
R. Dudley Edwards., D. Litt………………………………………………………………2
Vagabonds and Sturdy Beggars. Part I – Poverty, Pigs and Pestilence in
Medieval Dublin.
Thomas King Moylan……………………………………………………………………..11
Dublin’s First Railway. Part I – From Inception to Opening.
Kevin Murray……………………………………………………………………………….19

Notes and Queries
Some Place-names in and around Dublin. Henry Morris, M.A………………………27
The Assembly House, Sth. William Street. P.M. and F.O’K…………………………28

CONTENTS.
September, 1938.

Vagabonds and Sturdy Beggars. Part 111.Dublin’s Debt to the House of Industry
Thomas King Moylan……………………………………………………………………..65-74
Dublin Slang Songs, with Music. Donal O’Sullivan…………………………………….75

Reviews: Author’s Surname given and then the title of the book reviewed
Irish Historical Studies ……………………………………………………………………94
Elines, Engraved Irish Portraits…………………………………………………………..95
Sadleir, Dublin University Magazine……………………………………………………..95

Queries:
Mulhuddart. Alexander L Rorke……………………………………………………………96

CONTENTS
March 1939

The Case for a Dublin Museum. L.S. Gógan……………………………………………..97
Early History of the Grand Canal. Henry Phillips………………………………………108
Hidden and Vanishing Dublin. Part II – Fenian Dublin, 1865-67
P.J. Stephenson…………………………………………………………………………….120
Notes and Queries:
John Roque on Dublin and Dubliners, 1756. F.O’K…………………………………….127

CONTENTS
September 1939
In the Shadow of Christ Church. P.J. McCall……………………………………………….1
Hungry Hamilton, Fellow of Trinity. George A. Little…………………………………….7
The Battle of Rathmines. H.O. Brunskill………………………………………………….18
Statues on Public Buildings in Dublin. Mrs. A.M. Frazer………………………………..30
The Church and Parish of Kilternan. Kevin Nolan………………………………………..38

Editorial Note………………………………………………………………………………….40

CONTENTS
December, 1939

Some Old Street Characters of Dublin. Robert Gahan…………………………………..41
Religious Life in Old Dublin. Rev. Myles V. Ronan………………………………………46
Some Rentals of the Earl of Shelburne’s Estates, 1775-1776.
Thomas Kelly………………………………………………………………………………….55
The Dodder Valley. James Hegarty………………………………………………………..59
In the Shadow of Christ Church. P.J. McCall……………………………………………..73

Obituary:
H. O. Brunskill, I880-1938………………………………………………………………….96

CONTENTS
March, 1940

Dublin Castle in the Seventeenth Century. James L.J. Hughes………………………81
Some Old Street Characters of Dublin – Part. II.
Robert Gahan………………………………………………………………………………..98
Religious Life in Old Dublin – Part II
Rev. Myles V. Ronan……………………………………………………………………….106
In the Shadown of Christ Church – Part III.
P.J. McCall……………………………………………………………………………………112
Proceedings of the Old Dublin Society…………………………………………………..117
Notes and Queries:
Lesser known Documents in the City Muniment Room of Dublin……………………119

CONTENTS
June-August, 1940

The Antiquities and Place Names of South County Dublin.
Liam Price…………………………………………………………………………………….121
The Dublin Family of Jacob. W.J. Jacob………………………………………………….134
Two Memorable Dublin Houses. Rev. John P. Campbell, C.M…………………………141
Proceedings of the Old Dublin Society……………………………………………………156
Notes and Queries
Mulhuddart. Rev. Myles V. Ronan………………………………………………………….158

CONTENTS
September-November, 1940

St. Michan’s Parish in the Eighteenth Century. Canon E.J. Young, M.A., B.D………………………………………………………………….1
Papers of Bryan Bolger, 1792-1834. Alderman Thomas Kelly, T.D……………………..8
Little Rivers of Dublin. Miss Lily M. O’Brennan……………………………………………19
Old Moore’s Almanack. B.P. Bowen, B.L., B. Sc…………………………………………..26
Proceedings of the Old Dublin Society……………………………………………………..38
Notes and Queries…………………………………………………………………………….39

CONTENTS
March-May, 1941

Joseph Damer, A Banker of Old Dublin.
Mrs. A.M. Frazer, L.L.C.M…………………………………………………………………….41
“Mr. Lovitt out of Iorland”.
Rt. Rev. E. Neville Lovett, C.B.E., D.D., Bishop of Salisbury…………………………. 54
Main Street, Dublin. James L. J. Hughes………………………………………………… 67

Notes and Queries…………………………………………………………………………..78

Obituary
Albert A. Le Bas, 1869-1941……………………………………………………………… 80

CONTENTS
June-August, 1941

The Mysterious Origin of Dean Swift. Denis Johnston, B.L……………………………81
Mountjoy Square. F.A. Ashe……………………………………………………………….98
Notes and Queries
Benjamin Disraell. Bernard Shillman…………………………………………………….116
The Domvile Papers………………………………………………………………………..118
Preservation of Historical Documents……………………………………………………119
St. Patrick’s Cathedral. H.T. O’Rourke……………………………………………………120
Editorial Note……………………………………………………………………………….120

CONTENTS
VoL. IV.
1941-1942

Pallace Row

Alderman Thomas Kelly, T.D……………………………………………………………….1
Town Major Henry Charles Sirr
Joseph W. Hammond……………………………………………………………………14, 58
Glimpses of Old Dalkey. F.M. O’Flanagan………………………………………………..41
The Dublin Penny Post, 1773-1840. Dr. J. Stafford Johnson…………………………..81
Norse Dublin. Edmund Curtis, M.A., D.Litt……………………………………………….96
Malachi Horan Remembers. Dr. George Little………………………………………..109, 121
St. Stephen’s Hospital. Rev. Myles V. Ronan, P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A……………….141
Pharmacy in Old Dublin. James J. Kerr. M.P.S.I………………………………………..149

Notes and Queries
The Armorials of the City of Dublin. Val Jackson, M.I.C.E.I…………………………….33
The Irish Parliament House. K.M……………………………………………………………38
Francesco Geminiani
Culture Bulletin, Italian Legation……………………………………………………………76
The Site of Isolde’s Tower. K.M……………………………………………………………..79
Waste Paper……………………………………………………………………………………………160
Proceedings of the Old Dublin Society………………………………………………………39
Editorial Note………………………………………………………………………………….160

CONTENTS
Vol. V
1942-1943

The Antient Concert Rooms. Patrick J. Stephenson……………………………………….1
Old Alms Houses of Dublin. Robert Gahan………………………………………………15-40
George’s Quay and Rogerson’s Quay in the Eighteenth Century.
J.W. Hammond…………………………………………………………………………………41
David Digues La Touche, Banker.
Mrs. A. M. Fraser, L.L.C.M……………………………………………………………………55
A Scribe of the Liberties – John McCall.
B. P. Bowen, B.L………………………………………………………………………………81
Charity Children in 18th century Dublin..
Professor Mary Hayden, M.A. D. Litt……………………………………………………….92
The Athomospheric Railway to Dalkey. Kevin Murray………………………………….108
St. Patrick’s Staff and Christ Church.
Rev. Myles V. Ronan, P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A……………………………………………..121
Early Dublin Public Lighting. Patrick Meehan…………………………………………….130
Sir Robert Kane. J. J. Kerr, P.C., M.P.S.I………………………………………………….137

Notes and Queries
A Link with Robert Emmet. Dr. George A. Little…………………………………………..69
A Brass Stamp or Seal. Dr. George A. Little……………………………………………….72
The Bridge Oge. Rev. M.V. Ronan., P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A……………………………… 73
Tobar Moling and Templeoge.
Rev. M.V. Ronan., P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A…………………………………………………….73
A Slaughter House of Nuisance of 1723. Rev. Canon E. J. Young, B.D…………………75
Old Dublin in the London Gazette. Patrick O’Connor…………………………………….147
Townsend Street Chapel.
Rev. M.V. Ronan., P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A…………………………………………………..156
Robert Emmet and Michael Dwyer
Rev. M.V. Ronan., P.P., D. Litt., M.R.I.A…………………………………………………..157
Notes on Changes in Old Dublin……………………………………………………………158

CONTENTS
Vol. VI
1942-1943

Christmas in Old Dublin. Miss A. M. P. Smithson…………………………………………..1
A Glimpse at Victorian Dublin. F.J. Little, B.A………………………………………………8
Mr. William Cope’s Petition, 1804. J.W. Hammond……………………………………….25
Dublin and the Four Masters.
B. Mac Giolla Phadraig, M.A……………………………………………………………………41
Old Bells of Dublin. Mrs. A. M. Fraser, L.L.C.M……………………………………………..50
The Medieval Parish of St. Stephen. F.P. Carey…………………………………………… 63
William Penn in Dublin. Miss Eila Buckley……………………………………………………81
Behind the Scenes of the Emmet Insurrection.
J.W. Hammond……………………………………………………………………………………91
Kingsbridge Terminus. Wm. J. Jacob………………………………………………………..107
Thomas Pleasants, 1729-1818. Miss Beatrice Bayley Butler…………………………….121
Dublin Opticians and Instrument Makers. Thos. H. Mason, M.R.I.A……………………133

Notes and Queries
Military precautions in Dublin, 1803. Patrick O’Connor……………………………………..39
Derivation of the Name of Ringsend. F.S. Bourke……………………………………………39
Derivation of the Name of Ringsend. Geo. A. Little…………………………………………62
Mulberry Planting in Dublin. P.J. Cahill, T.C., P.C…………………………………………….62
The Carbery. Professor Edmund Curtis…………………………………………………………73
The Old Tuam Society. Dr. T. B Costello, M.R.I.A……………………………………………74
A Forgotten irish Artist. Geo. A. Little…………………………………………………………75
Debtors in Dublin Prisons, 1730-1. Patrick O’Connor……………………………………75, 157
John Burke’s Recollections. Miss K. Hart……………………………………………………..150
Notes on Some Recent papers. J.W. Hammond……………………………………………..153

The Historical Society, Dun Laoghaire Borough

CONTENTS
Journal No. 4
1995


Annals of Dun Leary-Kingstown.
Michael McCovern………………..3

Before the Bulldozer Came
Eamonn Gunn ………………..6

Dun Laoghaire by Fanlight
Mary Grogan………………..10

Bricks & Stones may …
Frank Long………………..15

The Centenary – A Flick in Time –
Gerard McCovern………………..18

Kish Bank Disaster – 1st September 1875 –
Philip Lecane………………..21

The Mini-Dwellings of Monkstown & Kingstown
Dr Jim Gowan………………..25

G. A. Stevens & Son Ltd.
Colin Scudds………………..29

A Costly Experience
Alice Cullen………………..34

The 1914 Kingstown Municipal Nationalist Victory
James Scannell………………..36

The Kingstown Monthly 1894 – Davy’s Kolum – / Davy Stephens
Mona O’Donnell………………..42

Lower Glenageary Road to the Cross Road with Eden Road and

Corrig Road 1830-1992
Eleanor Ticher………………..52

The Chaplain in the War Trenches – In Memoriam, Fr Willie Doyle S. J.
Tony Quinn………………..56

Killiney Ancient Church
Alice Cullen………………..59

CONTENTS
Journal No. 5
1996

The Dun Laoghaire Mail Boat
Tony Quinn………………..3

Sophia Violet Barrett
Philip Lecane………………..4

Firemarks
Dominic Dowling………………..9

Frankie Blowers………………..16

The Street Where We Live – Corrig Avenue
Eamonn Gunn………………..18

Dr Rumley & The Kingstown Cholera 1832
Dr John B. Kearns………………..23

The “Bug” House
Gerard McGovern………………..36

Olivia Taaffe, 7 Eblana Terrace, Kingstown
Brian Clarke………………..40

Salthill

Colin & Anna Scudds………………..44

A Holiday Brochure of Dunleary Long Ago
Kevin Murray………………..49

Centenary of the Palme – Lifeboat Disaster
Seamus O’Conrzor………………..53

The City of Glendalough
Harry Long………………..54

Dun Laoghaire – Prelude to “The Emergency”
James Scannell………………..58

Glencullen, Fraochan Berries and Dan O’Connell
Tim Doyle………………..66

A Tribute to Joe English………………..69

CONTENTS
Journal No. 6
1997

Rathdown………………..2

Reflections 1996 to 1932
Tony Quinn………………..7

The Kingstown Lying-In Hospital (1842-1871)
John Fleetwood………………..8

Findlater Street, Glasthule
Paula Banim………………..15

Dun Laoghaire – Prelude to “The Emergency”
James Scannell………………..16

Steamers Suggested
Kevin Murray………………..27

Tel-El-Kebir Dairy
Michael McGovern………………..29

Corrig Castle & Demesne
Colin Scudds………………..34

The Rise and Fall of the DuBedats of Dublin
Maria Clancy………………..41

Disappearing Dun Laoghaire
Colin Scudds………………..58

Windsor, Monkstown
Philip Lecane………………..61

CONTENTS
Journal No. 7
1998

The Sullivans
Tony Quinn………………..3

The Old Lamplighter
Frank Flanagan………………..8

The Kingstown Steamer
Freda Agnew………………..15

Disappearing Dun Laoghaire
Colin Scudds………………..18

The Story of Friarsland
Dr John Kearns………………..23

Letter to Daniel O’Connell
Contributed by Brian Smith………………..39

I Remember Sallynoggin
Patricia Hennessy-Williams………………..41

Dun Laoghaire – Prelude to the Emergency
James Scannell………………..45

The People’s Park
Colin Scudds………………..52

The Duel between Daniel O’Connell and John D’Esterre
Tom Doyle………………..59

The Astoria Cinema, Glasthule
Michael McGovern………………..64

Dungar Terrace
Freda Agnew………………..66

Marconi
Séamus O’Connor………………..67

Wilson’s 1820 Dublin Directory

Almanacs and street directories are an invaluable resource for researchers into 18th and 19th century Dublin. The earliest directory collected is from 1636. Pigot’s Directory 1820, 1821, 1822 and 1824 are the earliest directories in the collection to cover all of Ireland. Wilson’s Dublin Directories came between 1751-1753 and 1761-1837. Here is Wilson’s 1820 Dublin Directory, exclusive to From-Ireland.net:


The Little Green, St. Michan’s Parish

Written by Thos. King Moylan.


This paper is concerned with the story of one of the lesser-known Greens of Dublin. We are all fairly familiar with the more notable ones, such as Oxmantown Green, College Green and St. Stephen’s Green, of which the latter alone retains its verdant claim. There was another Green, small, it is true, and aptly called the Little Green, of which no trace now remains except the perpetuation of its name in two unpretentious city streets.

It is difficult to commence with a precise date, so the use of the old introduction, “Once upon a Time,”” may be pardoned. Well, once upon a time, and the time was in the l0th century, there lived at Clonliffe a man named Gillemoholmoc, and his wife, Rosia or Dervorgil. Both were wealthy, but both were blind. One day, as the good man was seated on a dead log outside his door, he became aware of a very sweet odour and, groping with his hands to trace its origin, he found, to his surprise, that the dead log had sprouted a branch. Following the branch with his fingers he discovered that there was an apple growing on it from which the sweet smell came. Plucking the fruit, he ate it, and immediately his sight was restored. Looking at the branch from which the cure had so miraculously come, he saw two more apples and, calling his wife, gave her one of them to eat, and she too, was able to see. Now Gillemoholmoc was a very kindly and considerate man, so he immediately thought of his kinsman, Malachi, King of Meath, who also suffered from blindness, and, hastening to him, presented the third apple, with similar results. In thanksgiving Malachi purchased his kinsman’s land and thereon built a monastery, under the invocation of St. Mary, which he handed over to the disciples of St. Benedict. And so began St. Mary’s Abbey, with a portion of whose Green this paper is concerned.

There are, of course, more prosaic accounts of the origin of this Abbey, such as that it was built by the Christian Danes of Dublin in the year 948, or that it was founded through the liberality of the Ardrigh, Malachi II, whose death is stated to have taken place in 862. However, as the facts about the Abbey’s origin are immaterial to my story, I prefer to begin with the legend of the sweet-smelling apples, because by the time this paper is finished there will remain few pleasant odours, few acts of kindliness, consideration and charity, about the Little Green of Dublin.

The monastic buildings of St. Mary’s occupied an area bounded by Capel Street on the east, by East Arran Street on the west, by Little Mary Street on the north and the street called Mary’s Abbey on the south. The Abbey manor land, however, was of great extent, comprising the whole stretch of ground from the river Tolka to the river Liffey Bank, bounded on the west by Constitution Hill, King’s Inns and Anne Street to the Abbey Green. I have not been able to trace the precise outlines of the Green, but it seems to have extended from Capel Street to North Anne Street and St. Michan’s Street. I propose to deal only with that portion of it bounded by the present Halston Street, North King Street, Green Street and the roadway which forms the link between Little Britain Street and Cuckoo Lane.

The Abbey was originally a Benedictine monastery, but in 1139 the monks adopted the Observance of Savigny, a newly-formed congregation under the guidance of St. Bernard; this congregation became better known as the Cistercians. St. Bernard’s establishment at Clairvaux, France, was surrounded by a strong wall with watch towers. The wall was nearly encircled by a stream of water, artificially diverted from or into small rivulets, which flowed through the precincts to supply the fishponds, gardens and general needs of the establishment. At Citeaux, the original home of the Cistercians, a cross, erected on the highway, indicated the way to the monastery. Speed’s plan of Dublin, 1610, shows that St. Mary’s followed generally the same principles as at Clairvaux, the river in this case being the Bradoge on the west side, from which a branch appears to have entered the grounds on the north, about the present North King Street. The main entrance was apparently in the south-west corner of the grounds, but Speed’s plan shows a gate-like structure on the north and above it a cross. That cross may have served the same purpose as at Citeaux. – Soon after its foundation many benefactions were bestowed on the Abbey, amongst them several in the 12th and 13th centuries from the family of Gillemoholmoc. The city was never behind-hand in furthering pious objects and, by an agreement concluded in the year 1213, the citizens granted “”in free alms for ever to the monks all the land between the Ostmants town and the water styled Tulkan, and as far as Crohuroric, where the gallows formerly stood, and to the Avenlif, with the ground called Crinan. The monks are to maintain the green place which is opposite their outside gate, as a common pasture, according to the crosses placed there and without any obstruction.” For this agreement the monks gave the citizens one hundred marks and an assignment of a perpetual rent in Dublin of one hundred marks annually. The interesting thing about this grant is that it refers. specifically to the “”green place. ..opposite their outside gate” and to the crosses which, according to Speed’s plan, would fix the location at approximately the site of the Little Green, to-day (1946) identified by the names of Green Street and Little Green Street. The Abbey Green, as it was known about 1568, and as the Little Green from about 1727, seems obviously to have been part of the land granted by the city in 1213.

The Act, passed in 1537, suppressing the abbeys, did not affect St. Mary’s ; but the writing was on the wall, and on 29th October, 1539, the Abbey, with all its possessions, passed into the greedy hands of Henry VIII. The lands he parcelled out to his hungry followers, Irish as well as English, but the cash, plate and jewels vanished into his own private treasury. Thus ended this great house after five hundred years, and with it passed the land given by the citizens of Dublin “”in free alms for ever.”” In 1568-9, Elizabeth granted in fee-farm to the Mayor, Sheriffs and citizens of Dublin, the “”houses and mills, in and near the city, which were portions of the lately dissolved monasteries of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Thomas,”” at a rent of £40 per annum, with a payment of £80 at the end of every period of 21 years. It is not clear that this grant included lands, but it is the first mention I can trace in the Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin of the Abbey after the suppression. It was about this time the name of Abbey Green emerged and its first appearance in the Calendar is under the date “”fourth Friday after 29th September, 1603.” At the assembly on that date, on a complaint against unfree persons pasturing their cattle on the city’s commons, it was ordered that no unfree man should pasture Oxmantown Green or the Abbey Green, without payment of a rent to the city. After this the Records are silent for a further period of 72 years, during which, presumably, the Green was a commonage.

In April, 1675, the City Assembly had before them a petition from Sir Charles Hartstonge (or Hartstronge as it is given in the Calendar), praying that arrears due by him to the city for a period of eight years past, in respect of his holding at St. Mary’s Abbey Green, might be remitted. In his petition he recites that he had long since obtained the interest, for a long term of years yet to come, granted by the city to Sir George Gilbert and Alderman Ridgley Hatfield, of a waste plot of ground at the Abbey Green, before the house of the late Sir Thomas Bromhalls, which interest the petitioner had also purchased. The explanation offered for having allowed the arrears to accumulate was that the Earl of Drogheda, by laying claim to more than half the ground, had prevented Hartstonge from using it. Hartstonge claimed that in some recent trials between the city and others against the Earl, he, Hartstonge, had defended the city’s title to the ground, being determined to build upon it and to improve it. The land originally granted to the Earl lay to the east of the junction between Mary Street and Henry Street, but as was not unusual in all periods, claims were made to lands adjoining those named in the grant. Hartstonge made a further application for land in January, 1681. He stated he was surrounding the ground formerly held by Bromhall, by a wall, with a view to improvements, the principal one being to draw the Bradoge and the other waters in other parts of the Green into one channel. By some mistake there had been left out of the original lease “a sharp angle of ten yards and a halfe at one end, but nothing at the other,”” and he declared, in a most concerned way, that “”consequently the whole streete would be built wholly awry or out of order, and would be a greater disornament to the citty than inconvenience to the petitioner””

The premises having been surveyed by a committee, it was found that the complaint was well grounded, and that the addition sought lay only at the south-east corner and ran northward at an acute angle which would “”bring the ground regular to answer a range with the street leading to St Maries Abby.”” A new lease, to include the small triangle, was granted for 99 years, at a rent of £6 per annum and a couple of fat capons, or five shillings in lieu thereof, to the Lord Mayor each year.

These details of Hartstonge’s holdings have been given in detail because they help to show the formation of the streets about the Little Green, the way to St. Mary’s Abbey, above referred to, being evidently Mary’s Lane. This appears more clearly in 1727, when on 14th April the Assembly had under consideration the report of a committee appointed to deal with a letter from Dr . William King, Protestant Archbishop of Dublin, in which he set forth that the number of inhabitants of the parish of the new St. Michan’s had so much increased that no one church was capacious enough to receive them all, and therefore he prayed for “”such a quantity of the Little Green as will be sufficient to build a church on.”” what he did not tell the assembly was that, in his Visitation Report, he had described the future congregation of the proposed church as “”lewd and unruly people “”who had no place of worship.” His Lordship seems to have been unduly burdened with lewd and unruly people in his diocese, because he characterised the people of Glasnevin as the last word in wickedness. and as for the people of Ringsend, before a church was built there, they were the lewdest folk in all Dublin! The Committee’s report on his request said : “”We……….have viewed and surveyed part of the Little Green, adjoining Sir Standish Hartstong’s holding and. have laid out as much ground as will be convenient and necessary to build a church on; and as the building a church there will tend to the service of God and the public good, we are of opinion that a piece of ground, part of the said Green on the north end there-of, be granted in fee-farm by the city to the memorialist to build a church on, at 2s. 6d. per annum rent, the same containing in the front to King’s street 130 feet, in depth from King’s street to the south on the east side 144 feet, from thence to the west 120 feet to Hartstong street, and from thence to the north to King’s street 80 feet, leaving Hartstong street on the west side 25 feet wide.”

The Committee’s report was adopted and leases were to be drawn by the Recorder and “”in regard the Bradoge runs through part of said ground designed for a church, that the same be turned, covered and arched by those who may be appointed overseers for building said church, so that the same be no expense to the city, and that a covenant be inserted in the deed to that purpose, and that a proper seat be reserved in said church for the use of the Lord Mayor and citizens.” It was also, apparently, a condition that the ground should be fenced in.

Rev. Mr. McCready, in his book on Dublin Street Names, hazards a suggestion that Halston is a corruption of Halfstone, but Rev. Dillon Cosgrave in North Dublin: City and Environs, apparently holds that the former Phrapper Lane, later Beresford Street, was originally called Halfstone street. From the exact location of Sir Standish Hartstonge’s holding it is obvious that the original name of Halston Street was Hartstonge Street, a name not too easy to pronounce. The same street has also been called Bradoge Street, from the river running under it. In Rocquets map of 1765 Green Street is called the Little Green, and the portion granted for the church is shown walled in. In the 1773 edition of the same map, with Bernard Scalets additions, the present Green Street emerges. About 1864 the former Petticoat Lane assumed the more respectable title of Little Green Street.

The personage whose name is perpetuated in a corrupt form by Halston Street, was the eldest son of Francis Hartstonge of Catton and Southrepps in Norfolk, and of Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Standish of Bruff, Co. Limerick.

He entered the Middle Temple in 1657 and came to Ireland where he was admitted a member of the King’s Inns in 1659. He became Recorder of Limerick and a Member for that city in 1661, became Third Baron of the Exchequer in 1680, was created baronet in 1681, and in the same year was made one of the Governors of the Blue Coat School. After various ups and downs he was superseded finally in 1695 and died sometime about 1702, apparently in Herefordshire. He was married three times and in the Registers of St. Michan’s, Church Streett there is an entry of the baptism of his son Gwynt his son by his third wife, Jane (or Johanna) and also of the burials of three of his servants in 1681 and 1684. It is evident. Therefore. that he was more or less constantly resident on his holding beside the Little Green from 1675 to 1686, sufficiently long and of sufficient importance to have his name identified with the street in front of his holding.

From the regulations laid down for the Watch in 1730, it would appear that the patrol of the watchmen from the Watch-house at Young’s Castle, was round the Little Green, to the Bradogue bridge. One of the Directors of the Watch of St. Michan’s was Oliver Bond up to 1784, when he left the parish. He was to see the Little Green in grimmer circumstances fourteen years later.

In 1771 the Watch house was removed from Young’s Castle to the Little Green. The project visualised by Archbishop King did not come to fruition. Indeed, the Little Green appears to have been the home of lost causes. When Essex Bridge collapsed it was popularly believed the reason was that the stones of St. Mary’s Abbey had been used in its construction. A similar ill-luck would seem to have followed attempts to use the Little Green. In 1682 certain of the Commons petitioned the City Assembly that there was “”a parcell of groundt mentioned in the survey of the land taken for the Lord Lanesborough on the Abbey Green,””which would be convenient for a church for the inhabitants thereof. A plot was accordingly set aside for a church and churchyard, subject to a rental of “”ten groats per annum”” to the city treasurer, and to a proviso that a place be reserved, in the best part of the church (which, by the way, was to be built by the parish) for the Lord Mayor and citizens to sit in. The parish had other ideas,- however, and in November, 1699, the same ground was appropriated for the use of a hospital for the reception of aged sick and other diseased persons, as “”there are severall well-disposed persons who now would contribute largely to such a work, if the same was set forwards, and a piece of ground appropriated to the same, which opportunity, if lost; may not be again met with.””The opportunity was not lost, the ground was allocated, but this project also disappeared-another lost cause. In this entry in the Records the ground is described as lying at “the north end of the Lady Reeves’ garden.”” On a map in the City Rental Book, compiled by Arthur Neville, City Surveyor, in 1829, and now in the Muniment Room, City Hall, there is pencilled-in the site of two holdings, that of Lord Lanesborough and Sir Richard Ryves, the Ryves’ holding being towards the north to King Street.

In March, 1665, Charles II granted an annuity of £500 to the City. In July, 1682, certain of the Commons petitioned the City Assembly that Viscount Lord Lanesborough had been very serviceable to the city, particularly in obtaining this grant, but that he had received no token of the city’s gratitude; they proposed that he be granted a portion of the Abbey Green, adjacent to Sir Standish Hartstonge’s holding there. It was agreed to give his lordship a fee farm, he paying a pair of gloves to the Lord Mayor each Easter. In addition he was, within seven years, to build a good house “”fitt for a nobleman of his lordship’s quality to live in, “”failing which the grant would be void or else liable to a rent of £50 per annum. Lord Lanesborough, looking the gift horse in the mouth, decided it had too many covenants, so he reminded the city that the fee farm had been given as a gratuity for services rendered, and that, while he was minded to build a house there for his own use and not for tenements, he prayed the restrictions might be deleted, which was done. About seventeen months later-May, 1685-his widow; Frances, Dowager Lady Lanesborough, reported that his lordship had walled in the ground, intending to build a dwelling house for himself, but that he did not live to finish the work. She asked that she might be at liberty to build as she wished, as the covenant was a “”seeming discouragement to undertakers in building.”” And, of course, she got perfect freedom to do what she liked.

Lord Lanesborough’s neighbour on the Little Green was Sir Richard Ryves, Recorder of Dublin. On the surrender by Sir William Davys of the office of Recorder, Richard Ryves applied for the “”post on the ground that he was a “towne born child “” and freeman of the city, which had been the place of his education and would also be his constant place of residence. In 1682 he was given a piece of waste ground on the Green, near Baron Hartstonge’s holding and lying between Lord Lanesborough’s ground and the ground intended for a church and a churchyard. The holdings of both Lanesborough and Ryves stretched from Capel street to Green street, according to plans in the City Rental Book of 1829.

Sir Richard Ryves was born in Dublin in 1643, was Recorder of Kilkenny in 1671, Recorder of Dublin in 1680, was knighted in 1681, his residence then being in St. Michael’s Lane. He became Second Commissioner of the Great Seal after the Battle of the Boyne. He was appointed Second Baron of the Exchequer in 1692. He then resided in Capel Street. Ten years before he had obtained an addition to his original holding for the purpose of providing stabling to the house he intended to build for himself. This house would have been somewhere between Little Mary Street and North King Street. He died early in 1693.

His career as Recorder of Dublin seems to have been interrupted for a brief period, because in 1687 the city called on him to hand over the “”White Book “” and all other documents belonging to the city to Sir John Barnwall, then described as “”now Recorder of the City,”” but in 1690 he was still described as Recorder. In that year he was advanced to be one of the Lords Commissioners of the Great Seal and, because of his great infirmity he could no longer act as Recorder, the Lords Justices desired, Sir Richard being willing, that the Recordership should pass to Thomas Coote. If he was too infirm to continue as Recorder the same disability should have disqualified him from being a Commissioner, but any wish of the Lords Justices was not likely to be questioned in the year 1690. The direction about the White Book”” shows that the Corporation of that day had a watchful eye on their historic property, but unhappily that care did not continue, for the “”White Book “” passed out of their hands sometime in the 18th century. It turned up in an auction room in 1829 and was purchased by Sir. William Betham, Ulster King of Arms, for £64 1s.; he re-sold to the Municipal Council their own property for £150.

In Rocque’s map of 1765, the northern portion of the Little Green, apparently that leased to Archbishop King in 1727, is shown enclosed by a wall, and the rest of the ground appears to be a hummocky waste. This waste portion was set by the Corporation in 1761 to Columbine Lee Carre, in trust for James Dexter, at a rent of £60 per annum. A year later Dexter, who was Marshal of the Four Courts, admitted he had bitten off more than he could chew. He bought the site, intending to build a Marshalsea (prison) thereon, but, finding he had not enough money for the purpose, he decided to run a lottery, which was a failure. According to his own statement, he then made an appeal to Parliament to aid him in his task but without success. There was nothing for it but to ask the Corporation to cancel his lease. Another lost cause! The idea of running a lottery to finance the building of a gaol appears incongruous, but not more so than a private individual proposing to erect a prison for his own profit. However, as will be seen later, there were less profitable enterprises than running a Marshalsea. That name was derived from the prison at Southwark, belonging to the Marshal of the King’s Household which was in existence up to 1842. The county gaol at Roscommon, erected in 1818, is stated to have been built on the plan of the Southwark prison.

Sixty years after the Corporation had let the northern part of the Green to Archbishop King they began to think it was time to inquire into the intentions of the lessees, so they asked Dr. King’s successor, Dr. Fowler, if he had any objection to their taking back the ground. He replied that he had no objection, and released the ground, which was put up for auction three years later. The purchaser was Joseph Pemberton. According to tradition this portion of the Little Green was the former cemetery of the monks of St. Mary’s Abbey.

Perhaps it was due to Dexter’s idea that the Corporation eventually decided to use the Little Green as the site for a prison. In 1767, the old Newgate Gaol, possibly one of the oldest buildings then extant in Dublin, was in a ruinous condition and beyond repair. The selection of a site for a new prison was left to a Committee who reported that the Little Green was a suitable place, being the property of the Corporation and for a long time waste. They recommended that it would be highly commendable to grant to the public a part of the Little Green, provided a gaol was built there within a reasonable time. They further recommended that a plan and estimate should be adopted so as to have everything ready for the Grand Jury in the ensuing term. They also called the attention of the Corporation to another object, the need for a Sheriffs’ gaol and a Coroner’s gaol, pointing out that “”there is none of consequence, every person under the unhappy situation of an arrest, if not immediately able to pay his debt, is hurried into a Marshalsea.””

It was about this time that a young grocer, just around the corner from Little Green, had opened a “Bordeaux wine cellar,”” where he was prepared to sell wines, teas, coffee, spirits, etcetera. What commodities he proposed to sell under the designation “”etcetera “” was not then apparent; at a later date they evidently included men’s lives and liberties, for the young grocer of Mary’s Lane subsequently blossomed into the lawyer and Government agent- Leonard McNally.

The Corporation’s idea of a “”reasonable time, for building their gaol does not appear to have been a narrow one, because it was not until 28th October, 1773, that the foundation stone of the New Prison was laid, and a further eight years elapsed before the place was ready for the reception of prisoners in 1781. It was built to the plans of Thomas Cooley, an Englishman, who had been brought to Dublin in 1769, when his design for the Royal Exchange had been accepted. He also designed the Record Office, Inns Quay. Whatever Mr. Cooley’s qualifications may have been for keeping stockbrokers and records in order, he failed lamentably as a designer of gaols. It is true that the site rather restricted his plans, being only 170 feet by 127 feet and, being surrounded on three sides by public thoroughfares, was incapable of expansion, but there were some fundamental errors. Perhaps the worst of these, from the point of view of security, was that the back wall of each cell was the outside wall of the building, so that when a prisoner was locked up for the night he could spend his enforced leisure in boring his way through the wall to liberty. Nor would that have been difficult; the walls of such seeming solidity were really composed of an outer and an .inner wall, each12 inches thick; with a 12-inch cavity between, which was filled with loose rubble and rubbish. Yet no prisoner escaped by that method, though Major Swan, early in 1800, frustrated an attempt to get out that way. The defect of the cells facing the wrong way was corrected about 1817.

The cost of the prison was £18,000, of which £2,000 was contributed by the Government. Its official name was Newgate, after the original on Cornmarket, but it is very often alluded to as the New Prison. Its use as a prison was discontinued in 1863 when it was utilised as a fruit and vegetable market. It was demolished in 1893 and the site converted into a car park, called St. Michan’s Park. The walls were levelled down to about three feet above ground level, and the space enclosed built up to the same height. Thus the outlines of Newgate are quite visible to this day (1946) . It was the first building erected on the Little Green proper, and occupied the southern portion of the space.

Having completed the new Newgate, the Corporation turned their attention to replacing the old City Marshalsea, which was also in a state of decay. They selected the next vacant portion of the Little Green, adjoining the north wall of Newgate, and caused advertisements to be inserted in the Dublin Journal of June 10-12, 1788, for proposals and estimates for a prison to accommodate about 100 persons. They got only one proposal, from a Mr. Davis, so they recommended that a premium should be offered for the best plan and estimate.

About the same time the Grand Jury were treating for land on which to build a Sheriffs’ Prison, and it was arranged to set them a portion on the north of the Little Green, part of the ground leased to Archbishop King in 1727, and south of the building lot later sold to Pemberton in 1790. In addition to erecting a Sheriffs’ Prison the Grand Jury were also proposing to build a Sessions House, though the City Records are curiously silent about these negotiations. The first reference to the intended Sessions House is on 11th March, 1791, although the site had by that time been agreed upon and the only vacant spot left lay between it and the Sheriffs’ Prison. On this vacant spot it was decided to build the Marshalsea, instead of on the site selected in 1788, and now set aside for the Sessions House, which was to adjoin Newgate. In 1792 a Doctor Johnston petitioned the City Assembly to take over the Deanery House for a Marshalsea, but I have been unable to discover what Deanery, or who Dr. Johnston was. The petition was refused on the ground that it would take £3,000 to convert the Deanery and the yard was too small.

In 1794 the Corporation had before them two plans for the new Marshalsea, one by Mr. Byron (presumably Samuel Byron, City Surveyor) and one by Sir John Trail. Trail’s plan was accepted and the Committee in charge was authorised to spend up to £3,000 in carrying it into effect. Nevertheless, eight years later a report from the Committee on City Leases stated that the City Marshalsea had become so ruinous and insecure that a new one was absolutely necessary. Once more a sub-committee was appointed, and once more the same site was selected. Two months later the site was again proposed, the Committee urging the completion of the building on the ground that the Corporation was “”bound to keep such a prison by charter.”” Authority was given to advertise for plans and estimates and on 22nd April, 1803, the tender of William Pemberton was accepted at £2,174 14s, 6d:, being the lowest of five tenders received, it was completed in 1804, sixteen years after the project was first mooted. It was so badly built that it was out of repair by 1808.

In the meantime the Sheriffs’ Prison had been completed by about 1794. On 6th June, 1854, this prison and the Marshalsea adjoining were purchased from the Corporation by the Government for £1,000. They were utilised as prison stores for Newgate up to about 1863. In June, 1865, the Corporation sought to repurchase them for the purpose of connecting them to the late Newgate, then in their possession and used as a market. Before the sale could be concluded the buildings were, by direction of the Lord Lieutenant, lent to the Dublin Board of Guardians for use as a cholera hospital. In November, 1865, the; prisons were reported to be in a state of general decay, on account of having been untenanted for many years. The buildings were handed over to the Board of Guardians on 2nd June, 1866, and handed back by them to the Commissioners of Public Works in November, 1867, their condition being then stated to be clean and satisfactory. During the trial of the Fenian Prisoners, portion of the buildings was allocated to the use of the officers’ guard. The Sheriffs’ Prison was, in July, 1869, converted into a station for the Dublin Metropolitan Police and it, with the old Marshalsea, is now a station of the Garda Siochana.

Military Index, 1832

On the shelves in the National Archives of Ireland are some indices – books – and these books are indexed in a number of ways – the general title is ‘Index of Official Papers’. For most of the years, they have this title – but then for some of the years, there are Military or other indices with information separated from the general run of the mill official index for that year.


There is information in these as to the movements of various regiments – the simple fact of groups being overcome by cholera or some such gives us an idea of the times that diseases were present in certain places or all of Ireland. There are references to marriage records in here – requests from people for the effects of some other person, indicating relationships.

All the indices are indexed alphabetically – in the general indices then there may be a cross reference back to another letter of the alphabet in order to find the reference number.

The reference for any document is the number – what you see here has not been checked against the original and only covers items to ‘O’. As it stands, it simply gives you the researcher an idea of a resource that is not mentioned or rarely mentioned in lists of Irish genealogical resources.

Whilst the majority of th original documents may not be extant, the indices are still an extremely important resourse. To the best of my knowledge these have not yet been placed on microfilm.

Article: A

21. Anderson, John – Certificate of his services in 23rd Dragoons
45. Artillery Royal permitted to exercise in the Phoenix Park
79. Adj. Genl Depy. – respecting blank routes
011. Armstrong, Captn. – Soliciting appointment of District Adjt. At Cork
016 Artillery Royal – Passage to the Colonies of the Wives of Soldiers of.
114. Adg. Genl. Depy – Blank Routes
121 Adj Genl. Depy. – Requesting a list of names & stations of Yeom Brigade Majors
135. Armit & Boroughs – Franking of remittances &c.
319. Adjt. Genl. Depy – requesting a supply of blank routes
321. Antrim Mila (Militia) Jas. S. Moore, Esq., Junr., appointed Captain in.
332 Antrim Mila (Militia) Resignation of Ensign Di?ckey.
332 Antrim Mila – Appointment of A. Dunlop Esq., ?vied?

B

17 Bryen, Henry – Enquiry requesting Billets
30. Beard, Geo., a Deserter committed to the Bridewell at Newry
60. Brennan, M. D. Article in Tralee Mercury resp Mila allowances &c.
901. Benson, Lieut. – Representation respecting the 50th Regt.
104. Byrne, Mr. Gunpowder Vender – Robbery of
130 Beresford, Lt. Col., discontinued as Asst. Lr. Master General
133. Burdett, Mrs. Applying for copies of correspondence between her and Mrs. Goulbarn
144. Billeting of the Troops – Circular letter respecting
147. Billets to be provided by the Constables of Parishes
177. Bingham, M. Genl. Sir George to command the troops during Sir. H. Vivian’s absence
209. Brown, Mrs. Rebecca – Enquiry respecting the property of Capn. Phillips 44th Foot.
210. Brown, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
212 Basworth, Private John. Attendance required at the Kilkenny Assizes
213. Brannon, Private, Thos. Sentence of transportation passed
227. Borehan, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
241. Brereton, Private Martin, false information of, respecting Mr. Going’s murder
240. Boyle, Edwd. – Transported for Desertion
244. Brady, Lieut., respecting the delay in issuing his half pay
259. Burke, Bridget – respecting her son John Burke
261.Bulkankle, Jas. Sentence of transportation against.
267. Brannon, Private, Thos. – Struck off the ?52nd (or 32nd) Foot
2601 Blacke, Richd. Application for a commuted allowance &c.
2901 Brown, Private Fredk. Court Martial upon
305 Buchan, Major Gen. Sir John appointed on the Staff protempore
307 Bishop, Lieut. Respecting his Mila half pay in the event of his joining Don Pedro’s Service.
314 Bat?lie, John. Praying for a pension
327 Blakeney, M. Genl. Sir E. appointed to command the Troops pre temporare
347 Bishop, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.

C

12 Campbell, Sir Guy 2nd Mr Genl. March of troops to Cashel & elsewhere
30 Corry, Trevor. Report respecting Geo Beard a Deserter
37 Carlow Militia. Arms to be conveyed to Dublin
301 Campbell, M. Genl. Respecting Mily accommodation at Carndonagh
43 Cavan Mila. Agreement for hire of accommodation of
50 Carlow Mila. John J. Cornwall to be Major in
51 Cork North Mila. Mr. Temple French Esq., to be Lt. Colonel in
91 Collins, Winifred. Praying for a passage for her husband a Soldier
99 Convicts. Escort for an Route to Kingstown
115 Callegy, John. Claim to a pension
119 Creagan, Eleanor. Praying for a free passage to her son at Woolwich.
120 Cork – Local inspr of the Gaol acknowledging Mutiny Act.
144 Circular letter respecting the billeting of the Troops – Mr. Bell
163 Carmichael, Jas. Claim against Thos. Sheridan Pensioner.
1014 Commissary Genl. Contracts for fuel and candles for Barracks
199 Cunningham, John. Enlisted and discharged without paying the smart money
200 Cope, Mrs. Marriage Certificate.
202 Chaloner, Rd. Conduct of Private Lavery, 28th Foot.
205 Caroll, Private ?Sth. Transportation of
206 Cooney, Michael Private. Transportation of
211 Cust, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
224 cain, Private ?Stm. Sentence of – Transportation
229 Circular respecting Forage Allowances
231 Connell, Mary – Application for her husbands pension &c.
2401 Cowan, Wm. Respecting the sale of his half pay.
254 Chartrs, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
256 Cavan Mila. Appointments of Majrs. Thompson & Waring in
260 Carey, Capn. Tyrone Mila – Retired Allowance of.
261 Campbell, Robert – Sentence of Transporting Against.
276 Circular respecting Chelsea pensioners to Magistrates at Petty Sessions
277 Circular Respecting Chelsea Pensioners to inspr. Gen. Of Police
281 Clare Militia – appointment of a successor to Col. Sir J. ?Birtan
292 Cormick, Pat. Claim against the Officers of the S. Mayo Mila.
293 Campbell, ?Ds. William – Hospital Asst. Question respecting
302 Connolly, Michl. Claim to the effects of Pat & Ml. Connolly
304 Clare Militia – Reps. Cane & Co. appointed Agents to
3001Cole, Edwd. Sentence of Transportation against.
310 Chadwick, Lieut Peter – sale of his Commission in the Tipperary Mila.
311 Clare Mila. Conduct of Lieutenant Hodges
318 Cavan Mila. Mr. Thos. Young appointed Ensign in
320 Chelsea Hospital, Conduct of Elliott a Pensioner
329 Carter, Revd. H., Claim for officiating for the Troops at Carrickfregus
334 Clare Mila. Poole Hickman appointed Capt vice Griffin
S.G. Purdon do Patterson
Augustine Buller do Blood
Michl Finnucane do martin
3401 cane, Rd. Accommodation for paying Chelsea pensioners
354 Cheshire, Private Thos. Enquiry respecting
356 Circular – Suspension of the operation of that part of the Royal Warrant dated 14th Novr granting under certain conditions the discharge of Soldiers to pension at their own request.
359 Circular respecting the conveyance of Soldiers and their families by coasting Steam or canal conveyance.
365 circular respecting the rates for Fuel, Candles, Straw and Wood for the Troops in Ireland.
367 Circular respecting the rates of Allowance to general and other Staff Officers of infantry Regts in lieu of Forage for horses required to be kept by them.

D

19 Dowans, Edwd. Enquiry respecting his Son 23rd Welsh Fusiliers
22 Donnolan, Patk. Alledged debt due by 2nd Master Cooper Clare Mila
59 Drought, G.E.A. Soliciting compensation as a retired Billet Master
70 Down South Mila. Accommodation for Staff of
013 Down South Mila. Agreement respecting said Accommodation
0101Duggan, Mr. King’s duty on cart horses sold by
95 Darnly, Earl of. Acknowledging Circular respecting billeting of Troops
97 Dillon, Captn. Expenses incurred by as a magistrate &c.
104 Dillon, captn. Robbery of a Gunpowder vender at Tullamore
1001 Dunne, Geo. 32nd Foot. Enquiry respecting
125 Doherty, John – Debt of Lt. Curey, Tyrone Mila
129 Down Mila South – Arms and Accoutrements of
1401 Dalzell (Darbyell?) Saml. Schoolmr. Serjt. (Informations against)
156 Durneen, Eleanor – Applying for the Admission of her children into the Hibernian School
160 Doyle, C. Claim against the 60th Regt.
176 Daunt, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
192 Down North Mila. Appointment of Mr. Knox as captain
193 Daunt, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
212 Duffy, Corporal – Attendance required at the Kilkenny Azzises
214 Darley, Ensign – Attendance required at the Kilkenny Azzises
221 Dublin Co. Militia – Baron de Robeck appointed Major of
2301 Dublin Co. Militia. Claim for the rent of the premises occupied by the Staff and Stores of
245 Dunphy, Edwd. Claim for acting as a Billet Master
247 Despard, Fras. Report on the conduct of the 28th Regt.
2501 Doherty, Sarah on behalf of her husband a soldier sentenced to be transported
261 Duggan Jeremiah Sentence of – Transportation against
Doherty, Dennis. Sentence of – Transportation against
280 Dempsey, Anne – Claim as a Relative of Miller, a Bandman
3001 Drake, John. Sentence of Transportation against
309 Down South Mila. E. Matthews appointed to Lt. Colonel
313 Dwyer, John. Claim as a Billet Master
316 Douglas, M. Genl. Sir. Jas. Placed on the Staff of Ireland.

E

33. Earl Robt, Wexford, Mila praying for a Pension
105. Early, John Enquiry respecting a balance due to his son a soldier.
10101 Eightieth Foot. Mssrs Cane & Co., appointed Agents to.
215Eighty First Foot or Eighty fourth Foot to be embarked from Liverpool to Dublin
246. Eighty First Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Co, appointed Agents to.
296. East India Co. Service – Question as to Pensions of the
320. Elliot, Robt., Pensioner. Refusal to take the oath of Allegiance.

F

16 52nd Foot. Mssrs. Cane & Co., appointed Agents to.
28. 47th Foot. Disembarkation of
39.Forbes, Visct. Report respecting an attempt to rescue a Deserter.
40.FitzHarris, Thos. Application for Geo. Jephson’s discharge from the Army.
55. 43rd Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough appointed Agents to.
56. 47th Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough appointed Agents to.
67. 47th. Major Sadleir – Transmissoin of Routes & Returns.
131. 4th Dragoon Guards. Mssrs. Cane & Co. Appointed Agents to.
146. Finlay Private, 6th Dr. Guards. Maintenance of a Child sworn to.
164. Ford, Peter. Enquiry respecting his marriage.
1015. Fintown. Misconduct of the Innkeeper at in refusing to accommodate a Military Escort.
215. 14th Foot. To be embarked from Portsmouth to Cork.
250 14th Foot. Mssrs. Armit & Borough & Co., appointed Agents to.
251. Floyd, Edwd., Soliciting a Pension as a retired Corporal of Militia.
261. Filly, Denis alias Bourke alias O’Donnell sentence of transportation against.
266. Fannon, John. Claim to Pension negatived.
281. Fitzgerald & Vesey, Lord. Vacant Colonelcy of Clare Militia
291. Feeney, John. Petition of the Widow of.
296. Fenton, J. Conduct of Pensioners of the East India Co. Service.
341. Forster, Major Wm. F. appointed as Asst. Adjt. Genl. Vice Harris.
344. Fannon, John. Col. Lindsay’s Certificate returned to
364. Fraser Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.

G

115. Gray, Saml., not considered eligible to a Yeomanry Commissoin
014. Gormley Revd., Mr. P.P. Claim for officiating in the Genl. Mily. Hospital
102. Griffith, Hugh. Private 66th Foot, application for relief.
161. Griffin, – convicted for having Fire Arms contrary to Law
161 also Gillespie, Joshua, recommending the disposal of said arms
167. Giddins, Thos. Applying for a Pension from the Chelsea Hospital
1016. General Order for granting Mily aid to Civil Power &C.
194. Griersan, Mssrs. Bill for ?Mutiny Acts &C.
196. Griffin, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
257. Goodwin, Mrs. Rebecca – Claim to the Pension of
263. Galligan, Bridget. Enquiry as to her marriage.
279. Gore, Patk., late Pensioner – respecting his pension.
2016. Good, S. Pensioner – Conduct of.
289. Granard – Conduct of the Chief Constable at – Escape of a Deserter.
323. Gibson, Revd. A., Claim for officiating for the Military.
331. Galway Mila. Mr. C. Le Poer French appointed Captain in.
353. Gordin, Henry, Respecting Corpl. H. Gordins’ effects.

H

23. Hanbury, SSm. Compensation as Billet Master in town of Galway
24 Hewt Corpl. 60th Foot. Enquiry respecting distribution of his effects
66. Hazlewood Geo.Soliciting compensation as a Militia Officer.
69 Hibernian School Excuse for Sir. Sm. Gossets non-attendance as a Governor of.
015 or 615. Hervey, Lt. 66th Foot, Claim for his Widow to a Pension
103. Heany, Robt. Claim for Rent due by a Pensioner
117. Heffernan Park. Claim for car hire for Provisions for 9th Foot.
152. Heyburn, John. Enquiry thro’ Recruiting Dept respecting.
153 Hemly, Captain. – Claim for expenses incurred as Magistrate.
165 Harvey, Lady. Case of as Washerwoman of the Royal Hospital
Hibernian School – Mr. Rays’ bequest to See. 110
1701. Hungate SSm. Enquiry respecting his being a Coll. In the Army.
1013 Hogan, Private, Henry – Confined for debt. – Liberated.
197. Hill – Jas. Claim as Billet Master of Kildare
206. Hawkins, John SSm. Private. Transportation of.
2001 Hall, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
222 Hughes John – Marriage of with Judith Robinson not considered legal.
225 Hales, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of.
264. Hart, Hugh – Certificate of his services required.
265 Hunt, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.
290 Hynes, Michael – Claim to pension
311 Hodges lieut. Ssm. Conduct of.
341 Harris Lt. Col. Asst. Adj. Genl. Succeeded by Major Forster
342 Hawkins SSm Trial before a Court Martial
343. Hizzard, Private Thos. Applicatino on behalf f the Son of.
350 Hare, Lt. Col. Military party required for the protection of Coroner & c.

I-J

40. Jephson , Geo. Requesting an application for his discharge from the army
73 Joyce, David – claim to property left by 2nd Master Lynch
169. Johnston, Alexr Meml to be restored to the ensoins List
203 Irwin Mrs. Marriage certificate of
216. Johnston, Private John. Attendance required at Clonmel Assizes
223 Jones Rees B? Laudable conduct in billeting troops &C.
273. Jordan, Wm. Claim for arrears of pay & Clothing
2015 Jones, Private J. Case of pistols sold by
322 Irvine, Jas. Requesting the half pay of the late Ensign Frederick
355 Johnstone, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.

K

7 Kerry Militia – Augmentation Major Crosbie proposed to fill vacant Majority
31 Kemmis ?Mssrs. Report respecting debt of J.L. right
72 Keehan, Ml. Petition to be restored to the Penson List
107 Kelly Thos. Late of 15 Foot. Enquiry respecting his Effects.
1101. Keown, Fids. Claim against John Lappan 64th Foot
147 Kinnegad – Refusal of the Parish to nominate a Billet Master at.
155. Kelly Troop 2nd Mr. 4th Dr. Guards – statements of his services required
190 Kenna Thos. Out Pensioner of the Queens Co. Militia – Complaint of.
206 Kitson, George Private, Transportation of
214 Kay, Robert Sergt Major. Attendance required at Kilkenny Assizes.
220 Kelly, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.

L

14 Leslie, Major Cong. Bl. Rifles, requesting permission to parade in Lower Castle Yard
34 Lally, Edwd. 10th Foot. Sentence to Transportation
35 Lee, SSm 28th Foot. Sentence to Transportation
47 Leitrim Militia. Lodgement in Ordnance Stores of the spare arms of
74 Leitrim Militia. Escort for Swords to be returned into Store
701 Londonderry Militia. Imprisonment of a Drummer for debt.
017 Leitrim Militia, Charges against Adjutant Cox
90 Londonderry Militia, Liability of House hired for, to taxation
96. Larkin, Pat. Complaining of a Canteen for the Militia at Oughterard
110 Lappan, John 64th Foot, Claim of Fras. Keown against
122 Lamb, Rose. Praying for a passage to her husband serving in 75th Foot.
134 Lalor, Pat. 52nd Foot. Conduct of
202 Lavery, Wm. Private 28th Foot. Assault on a Police Constable
253 Lindesay, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
284 Leitrim Militia. Claim of Serjt. Rutherford
286 Lorinan, N or M. Conduct of Good a Pensioner
301 Liddy, Patk. Claim to the effects of ?Timy Liddy, East India Co.
3001 Leitch, SSm. Sentence of Transportation against.
317. Lloyd, Mrs. Marriage certificate of.

M

4 Murray, Revd. ?Wm. Additional Allowance granted to
5 MacLean Major Genl. To succeed M. Genl. Smith Bl. Artillery
11. McClintock, Lieut. Repost respecting debt alledged to be due by him
26 Mily Secy. Mily party required to attend a public whipping at Galway
44 McDonald, Bernard, respecting prize money due to his brother
46 M. Genl. MacLean recommended for vacancy at the Board of the Royal Hospital
48 Murray Michl. Memorial to be restored to his Situation in the Engineers Dept.
52 Monaghan Milia. Col. Madden to be Col. Commandant
57 Military promotions and appointments in Ireland since 3rd Jany 832
501 Military promotions and appointments since 24th Janey 1832
60 McCartie, Mr. Charge against respecting Mila Compensation
61 Moffit, John. A minor discharged from 84th Regt.
Mily Secy. Report from on the abovementioned subject (discharge of Moffit, John)
62 Mily Promotions and Appointments in Ireland since 13th Feby 1832
64 Mahan Margt. Claim on the Forage Contractor to the Troops at Athlone
65 McDonald B. Prize Money
601 Monaghan Milia. Accomodation for Staff
96 Mily Secy. Report respecting a canteen car at Oughterard
100 Molloy, ?Arthur, not entitled to a pension
106. McMahon, John. Enquiry respecting Captain Cradock
111 McDermott, Geo. Late Pensioner 1st Foot, applying for relief etc.
112 McCraith, Patk respecting an annuity granted on account of his mother
126 Mily Secy. Illegal marriages of Soldiers of 92nd Foot (See 143)
1201 Mily Secy. Subsistence &c. of Soldiers wives & Children attacked with Cholera
130 Mily Secy Discontinuance on the Staff of Lieutenant Cols. Vincent & Beresford
137 Mily Secy. Order for burning the clothing of Soliers dying of the Cholera
138 Mily Secy. Transmitting Reports from Major Menzies 68th Foot to Capt Dillon64th
141 Mily Secy . Inconvenience attending the billeting of 4th Dr. Gds. At Newry
142 Moore, Hugh. Requesting Act for guidance of Billet masters
143 Mily Secy. Prosecution of Mr. Allen for illegally marrying soldiers
145 Mily Secy Transmitting reports from Major Madden & Capt Des Veux 50th Regt.
149 Mily Secy. Accommodation of Soldiers wives and Children attacked with Choler
150 Mily Secy. Removal of Military from the Penitentiary at Cork.
1501 Mily Secy Respecting the circulation of the General Orders for aiding the Civil Power
170 Madden, Private, Jas. Rate of Pension
174 Martin, rs. Marriage Certificate of
179 Military Acts, Circulation of
1010 McClerahan, Jas. Acts respecting Billet Markers required
1015 Mily Secy. Misconduct of an Innkeeper at Finntown
186. Mily Secy. Genl Order for granting Mily aid to the Civil Power & c.
195 Montgomerie, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
199 Miott (??), Jas. Discharge of a recruit enlisted by him without paying the smart money.
206 Martin, Jas alias SSm Thompson, Private. Transportation of
216 Moody, David & Peter. Attendance required at Clonmel Azzizes.
240 Mance, Thos. Transported for Desertion
242 McGee, Patkk. Complaint of a non-payment of his Pension
269. Mily Secy. Conduct of a Private of the 28th Foot at Callan
2701 McLeod, John Private, Transported
2013 McDuff, rs. Hannah. Supposed fraud in receiving her pension
280 Miller, Private 87th Foot. Claim of Anna Dempsey as a relative of.
289 Mily Secy. Conduct of the police Officers at Granard. Escape of a Deserter &c.
294 McDonald, Michael. Struck off the Pension List &c.
299 McGran, Jas. Praying to be placed on the Pension List.
303 McEllice, Private Chas. Attendance required at the Quarter Sessions
306 Mily Secy Attendance of Soldiers required at Clonmel
3001 Magennis, Patk. Sentenceof Transportation against.
309 Mathews, Echlin. Appointed Lt. Col. Of the Down Militia
312 McDermot, Fras. Enquiry respecting his service in the German Army
328 Meehan, John a Pensioner – Conduct of.
330 Mayo South Milia. Appointments of Mssrs. Orm & Palmer in
335 Mily Secy Grant of an additional allowance of 2 lbs of oats per ration to flases in billet?
337 McCoy SSm, Claim to Pension
Martin, SSm. Cliam to Pension.
339 Mily Secy. Transmitting letters from Major Parke & Capt O’Neill
340 Mily Secy Refusal of the Parish Priest of Boyle to officiate at the funeral of a Catholic Soldier of the 34th Foot.
342. Miller, Geo. Trial before a Court Martial
345 McGray, John – Claim to a Pension
349 Moore, Garret, acknowledging letter and sating that he has forwarded t to the ordnance Department
363 Mily Secy Hire of a magazine at Derry for the ammunition of 30th Regt.
366 Mottram, P.C. Enquiry respecting the Cheshire Militia
3601 Mathews, Private George – Application for his discharge.

N

31 Newport?Mssrs. Dividend on account of debt of T. L. Wright (see 89/33)
012 Needham, Henry. Enquiry from British War Office respecting
94 9th Foot not to be sent to Gibralter at present
107 Nowlan An. Effects of the late Thos. Kelly 15th Foot
159 New ?Ross, Sovereign of respecting the billeting of troops
215 90th Foot to b embarkd from Glasgow to Scotland
91st Foot To be embarqued from Liverpool to Dublin
232 Do Mssrs. Cane & Co. Appointed Agents to
274 Nowlan, Mrs. Marriage certificate of
3001 Noble John Sentence of Transportation against
360 Nester, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of

O

101 Ordnance – Cooking Material supplied to Guard Houses
20 Ordnance – Ammunition for Longford Militia Staff
63 O’Halloran, Lt. Marriage certificate of the Widow of
019 O’Brien Lieut., 2nd. Vr. Batt. Claim of his widow to pension
96 Oughterard, Complaint against a Canteen Car for the Military at
113 Ordnance – Reception into Store of the Arms and deposited in the gaol at Dundalk
124 Ordnance Issue of Pistols for persons employed at the Gaol at Maryboro’
132 Ordnance – Reception into the Store of the surplus arms &c of the South Down Mila
172 Ormond, Marquis of, appointed Aid de Camp to the King
205 Oakley, Private John, Transportation of
2101 O’Neill, John Late private 64th Foot, Claim of the Widow of
230 Ordnance – Bedding for the Provost prison Dublin
239 Owen, Mrs. Marriage Certificate of
366 Ordnance – Mr. Mothams ? enquiry respecting the Cheshire Mila was quartered in Richmond Barracks.

Revenue Officers, 1709

This is a list of people employed by the Irish Revenue Service in 1709. The surnames are for the most part English, those of Anglo-Irishmen. Some of these people would have been Englishmen who came to Ireland and settled down. Many will have been moved from one place of employment to another. This list simply shows the area in which they were employed on June 24th, 1709. Each name is found attached to a particular district, these districts may have covered more than one county. Districts may have had sub-groupings depending on the occupation of the person.


Fair Towns of Ireland, 1834

The Fair towns were very important towns and people walked for miles on a fair day to go to sell their produce. Until the Fair Day people would have no money and so once the produce or the animals were sold then the bills would be paid. The Fair towns in any county were major towns, places the population concentrated on, those that were important because of their fairs in the past may no longer be of any importance in a county today. Listed below are the names of the fair towns in each county as per Wilson’s Directory of Ireland, 1834. This list is also important in that it not only gives us the name sof the towns, but we can see variations on the way they were spelled in 1834 compared to the present spelling.


ANTRIM
Ahogill Antrim Ardmoy Ballyclare Ballinagobogh Bridge Ballintoy Ballycarry Ballycastle Ballymena Ballymoney Ballymure Belfast Bernice Broughshane Bushmills Carrickfergus Carmony Clough Connor Craigbilly Crumlin Cushendall Dervock Drimbar Drumadoon Dunloy Dunluce Glenarm Glenavy Kells Larne Lisburn Loughgill Mosside Mounthill Newtowncrommelin Oldstone Parkgate Portglenone Randalstown Rasharkan Roughfort Shanecastle Straid Stranocum Templepatrick Toome Tullamore

ARMAGH
Acton Armagh Ballibought Balnaglera Blackwatertown Camlough Charlemont Clare Crosmaglin Cullyhanna Culloville Forkhill Hamilton’s-bawn Jonesborough Johnstown’s bridge Keady Killileagh Loughgall Lurgan Mahery Markethill Middleton Newtownhamilton Pointzpass Portadown Portnorris Richhill Surgowny Tanderagee Tuskinpass

CARLOW
Ballon Borris Carlow town Hacketstown Kiledmond Knockan Knockmill Leighlinbridge Milford Myshall Nurney Orchard Palatinetown Rathvilly Sherwood Slyguff Staplestown St. Mullins Tennehinch Tullow Wells

CAVAN
Arvagh Bailieborough Ballinagh Ballinacarrig Ballyconnell Ballyhaise Ballyhighland Ballyjamesduff Bawn Belturbet Butlersbridge Cavan town Cootehill Crossdoney Crosskeys Doobally Kilcoguy Killeshandra Kilgola Kilnaleck Kilsub Kingscourt Largy Mountnugent Muff Mullogh Redhill Scraby Shircock Stradone Swadlinbar Tullyvin Virginia

CLARE
Annacarriga Ardsallas Ballindreat Ballyket Ballyludan Banroe Bodike Bridgetown Broadford Brodagh Bunratty Callaghans Mills Clare town Clonroad Cooreclare Corofin Cratilow Donass Doonbeg Doonmore Enagh Ennis Ennistimon Holyisland Jasper’s pound Jeverstown Killanteel Kilclaren Kildysart Kilfenora Kilkeshen Killaloe Kilmichael Kilrush Kilmurrybricken Kilmurrymacmahon Lisdeen Miltownmalbay Moyarta Moynoe (Ballyglass) Moynoe (Read’s cross) Newmarket O’Brien’s bridge Quin Rosmanaher Scariff Sixmilebridge Spancelhill St. John’s Well Tomgrany Tulla Turloughmore

CORK
Ahacross Annegrove Aughadown Ballinakelly Ballinamona Ballinavar Ballinhassig Ballinphellie Ballinspidale Ballybuy Ballnacarrig castle Ballyclough Ballydehob Balligurteen Ballyhooly Ballyheene Ballymacody Ballyvolane Ballyvorney Bandon Banlahan Bantry Barnagrove Bartholomew’s well Blarney Brigown Buttevant Cahirmee Cardriney Carrigalane Carrigtowhill Castlelyons Castlemartyr Castletown Castletownroche Cecilstown Charleville Clonakilty Cloyne Connagh Coolaguragh Cooldorky Coolymurrahoe (Cork city) Cork city Cottersborough Crookstown Currabegland Curras and Maun Dangan Donaghmore Doneraile Downderry Drimoleague Dromagh Dromdeer Droumalagree Duhallow Dunmanway Eirkmacody Enniskeane Fermoy Fivemilebridge Glangowra Glanworth Glenville Gooseberryhill Greenoghs Innishannon Insegeela Kanturk Kilbritton Kilcummer Kildorery Killacounty Killieagh Kilmurrahan Kilmacleran Kilmurry Kiworth Kinsale Knocknacroghery Knucknamariff Lepp Liscarroll Lisgoold Lisnacon Lough of Cork Macroom Magilla Mallow Maslacanlands Masseytown Milford Middleton Millstreet Mitchelsfort Mitchelstown Mogeely Monkstown Mossgrove Mountbeamish Nadrid Newcestown Newmarket Newmill Newtown Oldabbey Oldcastle Oldmillstreet Passage west Rathclare Rathcormuck Rockhill Ross Rostellan Rugsboro’ Shanballymore Shandrum Sixmilewater Skibbereen Timoleague Tracton Transtown Tullilease Youghal

DONEGAL
Aghygaults Ardara Ballintra Ballybofey Ballynass Ballyshannon Bonnyfobble Buncrana Burnfoot Cloghanbeg Carrigart Carndonagh Castlefinn Church-hill Convoy Culdaff Donegal town Dunfanaghy Dunkanally Fintown Glenties Killybegs Killigordan Laghey Letterkenny Machremore Malin Manorcunningham Mountcharles Muff Newbridgeglen Newtowncunningham Oldtown Port Pettigo Ramullen Raphoe Rashedog Rathmelton Redcastle Rosnakill St. Johnston’s Stranorlar Tullyodonald

DOWN
Annadoyne Ardara Ballinahinch Balamagarry Ballow Ballywalter Banbridge Bangor Bryansford Carrowdore Castlereagh Castlewellan Clough Comber Crossgar Donaghadee Donaghmore Down Downpatrick Dromore Dundrum Gilford Grayabbey Greencastle Hillsborough Hilltown Kilkeel Killileagh Killough Kilmore Kircubbin Loughbrickland Narrowwater Newry Newtownards Portaferry Rostrevor Rathfriland Saintfield Scarvaghpass Seaford Sheepbridge Strangford Warrenpoint

DUBLIN
Balriggan Ballymore Eustace Balrothery Carrickmines Donnybrook Fieldstown Garristown Kilsallaghan Lusk Newcastle Palmerstown Rathmichael Rathfarnham Rush Saggard Skerries St. Margaret’s Swords Tallaght

FERMANAGH
Ballinamallard Belcoo Belleek Brookborough Calaghane Callowhill Churchhill Clubboy Derralin Derrygonnelly Donagh Ederneybridge Enniskillen town Garrison Irvinestown Kesh Lisbellaw Lisnacarrick Lisnakea Maguiresbridge Magheravooly Monea Newtownbutler Roslea Stragowna Tempo Wheathill

GALWAY
Abbeynockmoy Aghrimlands Ahascragh Ardrahin Athenry Ballinakill Ballinamore Ballinasloe Ballymoate Ballymoe Barna Caltragh Cappatogel Castleblakeney Castelhackett Claddagh Claranbridge Claregalway Claremore Clifden Clonbur Clonfert Creggs Derry Mcoughy Drumgriffin Doonmore Dunloe Eyrecourt Fairhill Galway square (East gate) Galway town Gort Headfort Isserkelly Kilconnell Kilcorban Kilcreest Killimore Kilnelag Kiltartan Kiltormerkelly Kinvara Laurencetown Loughrea Meelick Monivea Moylough Mount Bellew bridge Mount shannon Newtowneyre Newtownbellew Oranmore Portumna Renville Tuam Tubberbracken Tuberindonny Tubberpadder Tullindally Turlaghmore Tynagh Whitegate Woodford

KERRY
Ardfert Ballinclare Ballincleave Ballyheige Beale Beenmore Blenerville Cahirsiveen Castleisland Castelamine Currans Dromkeen Dromoroirk Gleneragh Granshaw Kilfin Kilgobnet Killarney Killorglin Lackeen Listowel Mallahuff Miltown Montanagee Mullahish Nantenane nedeen Rougtybridge Scortaglinny Tarbert Tralee

KILDARE
Athy Ballimaney Ballyonan Ballytore Calvertstown Castledermot Castle Carberry Celbridge Clane French-furs Hortland Johnston’s bridge Killballinerin Kilcock Kilcullen Kilcullenbridge Kildangan Kildare town Kilgowan Kildroughill Kilmeague Kilteel Leixlip Maynooth Monasterevan Moone Naas Narraghmore Newbridge Rathangan Rathbride Redlion inn Russelwood Timolin Tully

KILKENNY
Ballylinch Ballynamara Ballicallen Ballyhall Ballyhibbuck Ballyragget Ballytrisna Barrowmount Bawn Bennet’s-bridge Burnchurch Callan Castlecomer Castlemorris Churchland Rower Cloga Coolianta Durrow Fertagh Fiddown Freshford Gore’s-bridge Gowran Graig Graigstown Grayney Innistiogue Johnstown Kells Kilkenny Killiboy Kilmaganny Kilmurry Knockmoyland Knocktopher Listerlin Mullinahow Mullinavat Powerstown Rathbeagh Rathkerran Rosberkon St. John’s Well St. Canice Stroan Templemartin Thomastown Tullaroan Urlingford

KINGS COUNTY (OFFALY)
Ballyboy Ballicowan Banagher Bernagrotty Birr Ballycumber Brosney Charlestown Claranbridge Cloghan Clonbullock Conegown Clonony Creggan Cullenwayne Dunkerrin Edenderry Ferbane Frankfort Gallen Gleashill Kilcommon Killyon Killeagh Kinety Moneygall Phillipstown Rahillane Shannon Shinrone Tullamore

LEITRIM
Ballinamore Carrick-on-Shannon Carrigallen Cashcarrigan Cloone Drumahaire Drumkerran Drumod Drumshanbo Druinsna Jamestown Leitrim Longfield Lurganbridge or Lurganbuy Lurganby Manorhamilton Mohill Newtown Newtowngore Tullaghan Turagh

LIMERICK
Abbeyfeale Abbington Adare Almer Anglesborough Ardagh Ardpattrick Askeaton Ballingarry Ballingarrycramer Ballinvreeny Ballymagarrydown Ballybrood Ballyscanlan Bilboa Bruff Brury Caherconlish Cahirellywest Castleconnell Castletown Cluggin Court and Curraheen Croaghburgess Croome Drumcollogher Dromon Fedemore Galbally Glanogra Glin Herbertstown Hospital Kilfennycommon Kilfinan Kilmallock Kilmiddy Kilmore Kilteely Knockaderry Knockany Knocktoran Knocklong Limerick city Lismullane Mountpelier Murroe Nantenant Newcastle Pallasgreen Patrick’s well Portrenard Racahill Rathkeale Shanagolden Singland Spurreboy Stonehall Tubbermurry Tullow Turagh

LONDONDERRY
Bellaghy Castledawson Churchtown Clady Coleraine Cross Curran Desertmartn Dungiven Feeny Figivee Garvagh Killowen Kilrea Lisane Londonderry Moneymore Magherafelt Mahera Mahoolan Muff Newtown-Limavady Parke Portglenone Swatteragh Tubbermore Tryadd

LONGFORD**
Ardagh Ballymahon Barry Bonlahy Cullyvore Drumlish Edgesworthstown Granard Killashee Lanesboro’ Newt. Forbes Shanmulla St. Johnstons St. Johnstown Tashiny

LOUTH**
Annagassan Ardee Castletown Collon Drumcashel Dundalk Dunleer Foggart Lurgangreen Mulaghcrew Rochdale

MAYO
Aglare Ardnaree Aughagown Ball Ballaghaderin Ballina Ballincostello Ballindangan Ballinrobe Ballively Ballyhane Ballyhaunis Ballivary Bangorerris Bauceysbarn Belcarra Belmullet Binghamstownerris Bionneconlan Brize Bunfinglass Cappakerrane Caracastle Castleaken Castlebar Castletownlands Clare Classagh Crossmolina Donamona Fortfield Foxford Gallowshill Glarn Hollymount Keelogues Killala Kilmain Kilternagh Lisloughery Louisburgh Loughmask Melcomberegis Minola Moyne Neale Newtowngrove Newportpratt Rakestreet Rathfran Rues Shrule Straid Swineford Tallagherris Tulrahan Turlogh Westport

MEATH
Ardeath Armabrega Ashbourne Athboy Balliver Ballybogan Bectivebridge Belgree Carlanstownbridge Crossakeale Culmullen Drumconra Duleek Dunboyne Dunshaughlin Garretstown Grenanstown Kells Kildalky Kilmainham Wood Longwood Mulpheddar Navan Nobber Oldcastle Rathmolion Ratoath Skreen Slane Summerhill Trim Warrenstown

MONAGHAN
Ballinode Ballitrain Ballibay Carrickmacross Castleblayney Castleshane Clones Drum Emyvale Glasslough Knockboy Monaghan town Newbliss Rockcorry Scotstown Smithsboro’ Tedounet

QUEEN’S COUNTY (Laois)
Abbeyleix Aghaboe Ballicmoyler Ballinakill Ballybrittas Ballylinan Ballyroan Birchwood Borris-in-Ossory Castlebrack Castletown Clonaslee Castle Cuff Cullenagh Cullihill Donaghmore Dysart Errill Garindinny Graigue Maryboro’ Mayo Mountmellick Mountrath Pike of Rushall Portarlington Rathdowney Stradbally Timohoe Tinnehinch

ROSCOMMON
Ardsallagh Athleague Ballinagrave Ballimurry Ballinafad Ballinlough Ballintubber Ballyfarnon Ballylegue Belonlagh Boyle Brideswell Castleplunkett Castlerea Castlesampson Cootehall Croghan Dangan Elphin Frenchpark Fuerty Glinsk Grevisk Keadne Kilcorky Knockacroghery Leckcarrow Loughlin Miltownpass Mount-talbot Newmarket Rockfield Roscommon town St. John’s Well Strokestown Tarmonbarry Tulsk

SLIGO
Ardnaglass Ballasodare Ballinacarrow Ballinahatty Ballintogher Ballymoate Banada Bellaghy Beltra Bunnidane Bunninaden Carney Carricknagat Castlebaldwin Cliffony Collooney Curry Drinaghanbeg Dromore Easky Enniscrone Farinaharpy Jameswell Newtown Quiguboy Roslee Sligo town Templehouse Tobbercorry Tubberscanavan

TIPPERARY
Ardfinan Ballingarry Ballyclerihan Ballyporeen Ballysheehane Borrisoleigh Burrisokane Cahir Cappagh Clanoulty Cashel Castleotway Carrick-on-suir Clogheen Cloughjordan Cloneen Clonmel Cullen Drum Dundrum Dunhill Emly Feathard Glynn Golden Gormanstown Grange Grangemockler Graystown Holycross Kilcash Kilcooly Killenaule Kilfeacle Killenaule Kilnockin Knockharding Lisinisky Mulinahone Mullough Nenagh New Bermingham Newinn Newport Pallis Roscrea Roesgreen Silvermines Templemore Templetoohy Thurles Tipperary town Toomavara Tubberhaney Tyrone Williamstown

TYRONE
Altmore Ardstranbridge Augher Aughnacloy Ballygawley Ballinmagorey Ballinscally Balnakety Benburbe Beragh Caledon Carland Carnteel Carrickmore Castlecaulfield Castledergh Clady Cookstown Clogher Coagh Dergbridge Donelong Donoughmore Dromore Drumquin Dunaghy Dungannon Dunymana Fintona Fivemiletown Frederickstown Gorten Grange Killeter Killen Machrecregan Mounthamilton Moyne Newtownsaville Newtownstewart Omagh Orrator Pomeroy Seskinore Sixmilecross Stewartstown Strabane Trillic

WATERFORD
Affane Annestown Ballinamultina Ballyduff Ballygunner Ballykeerogue Cappoquin Carrickbeg Clashmore Clonagam Conna Drumana Drumcannon Dungarvan Faithleg Ferrypoint Gardenmorris Kilcomragh Kilgobnet Kilmacthomas Kilstownlaurence Knuckboy Lismore Modiligo Mountaincastle Newton at Silvermines Passage Stradbally Tallow Tramore Two-mile-bridge Waterford city Whitechurch Windygap

WESTMEATH
Athlone Ballinahown Ballymore Ballynacargy Balbarna Balnalack Castlepollard Castletowndelvin Castletowngeoghan Churchtown Clonmallon Collinstown Coole Coolnahay Dunower Empor Finea Fore Freemarket Glasson Grangemore Keney Kilbeggan Kilgarvan Kilkennywest Killear Killucan Kinnegad Killvalley Multifarnham Miltown Moate Moyvore Mullingar Noughwell Rathconrath Rathowen Rathwire Scartanpatrick Tyrellspass

WEXFORD
Adamstown Ballycannow Ballyhack Banoge Birchgrove Blackwatertown Broadway Camolin Cairn Castlebridge Clahaman Clonegall Clonroach Coolgrenny Couracloe Croshue Crosstown Curragraige Enniscorthy Ferns Fethard Gorey Harrow Killinick Killuran Kilmuckbrifge Kilener Lady’s Island Limric Mocorry Monamullin Moneyhore Nash Newross Newtownbarry Oulart Oylegate Ragorey Ramsgrange Scar Scarawalsh Scarvagh Taghmon Tintrin Tomhaggard Wexford town

WICKLOW
Aghrim Arklow Ashford Ballinacor Ballinderry Baltinglass Blessington Bray Calary Carnew Coolkenno Coolattin Coolboy Cronroe Donard Downs Dunlavin Hollywood Kilcoole Kilranelagh Kiltegan Macreddin Newcastle Newtownmountkennedy Rathdrum Rathsallagh Redcross Sevenchurches Shillelagh Stradford-on-Slaney Tinahely Togher Wicklow town