The following list is from the ‘Archaeological Survey of County Wexford’. It should be of use to any genealogical researcher regardless of whether or not they ever visit Ireland in that it names those churches which are considered to be or have been parish churches for an area giving the townland that the church was located it. It also gives some indication of whether or not there was a graveyard associated with the church, as well as graveyards that were not located in the grounds of a church. Plus, it gives us some idea of the period churches were in use.
The placenames are listed alphabetically:
OS 48:11:1 Church (possible) Estate church. Synnott writing c. 1680 lists a ruined chapel dedicated to St Nicholas at Ballyconnor. Outhouse attached to tower house may be chapel. Rectangular building (dims. 9.9m E-W; 5.45m N-S) with conglomerate quoins, now roofed with corrugated iron has round-headed door of dressed granite with hanging-eye in S wall. No evidence of enclosure or burial.
OS 53:7:4 Church Estate chapel of Castletown tower house 100m to NW. Synnott writing c. 1680 lists chapel and site marked ‘Chapel in Ruins’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Rectangular structure (dims. 8:5m E-W; 4.5m N-S; H c. 1.2m). No distinguishing features. No evidence of enclosure or burial.
OS 46:13:2 ‘Graveyard (Disused)’ Church (site) Estate chapel of Cullenstown tower house, which lies 200m to W. Described as ‘R.C. chapel (in ruins)’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Foundations of rectangular structure (dims. 7.85m E-W; 4.2m N-S). Within rectangular enclosure (ext. dims. 35.5m N-S; 19m E-W) defined by low bank or remains of wall (Wth 2.5m; H 0.4m). Only one headstone visible.
OS 43:9:1 Church Estate chapel of Killiane. Rectangular structure (dims. 7.55m E-W; 5.5m N-S) with E and W walls surviving to H of 3m, N wall H 1m and S wall a collapsed pile of rubble (H 0.6m). Round-arched W doorway of uncut stone and rectangular E window of dressed limestone. No enclosure or evidence of burial. Site of St Helen’s Well c. 60m to W and Killiane Castle c. 100m to W.
MOUNTPLEASANT or TAGUNNAN
OS 47:3:5 ‘Catholic Church (in ruins)’ Estate church listed by Synnott in 1680s. Parts of N wall (L 5.35m; H 2.5m) and E wall (L 4.5m; H 3.5m) survive with a rectangular window in E gable. No evidence of burial apart from brick vault within church. Within a rectangular enclosure (dims. 70m N-S; 55m E-W) defined by low bank (Wth 6.5-8.5m; H c. 0.5m) and shallow outer fosse (Wth 8-9m) on S, E and N sides with an irregular scarp at W. Small annexe (dims. 43m E-W; c. 20m N-S) defined by fosse, attached to N. Possible moated site adjacent to W.
OS 47: 10:2 ‘Church (Site of)’ Possible estate church of Mulrankin tower house, 270m to S. Marked only on 1940 OS 6~inch map. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. St Bridget’s Well c. 150m to S.
Churches and Graveyards of County Wexford: