Armagh Plantations, Kirnan Manor, 1622

(2) The Manor of Kirnan (1,000 acres).

Granted to James Matchett, Clerk, May 30, 1610. Three years after he was collated rector of Drumcree, Co. Armagh. and also of the adjoining parish of Kilmore. He seems, however, to have been unable to plant tenants or erect buildings so quickly disposed of his proportion.

In 1611 his eldest son Daniel Matchett aged 24 years was acting as agent for his father-had indeed been resident since Michaelmas 1610. Carew, however, only found 2 freeholders on the land and no tenants or labourers. Promises were made to construct a bawn, materials provided for building and 9 horses and other beasts ready for work.

By 1619 the Manor had passed to Sir Oliver St. John and at that time there were upon the lands 2 bawns of timber moated about and made very strong, in each, “an English house of cage work, and 2 English families dwelling in them”; there are near to one of these bawns 5 houses, being inhabited with English families; the rest are dispersedly on the land, 3 or 4 families together.”
Total 17 families who with their undertenants are able to make 30 men with arms.”

On January 22, 1621, by an inquisition relating to the lands we learn that Sir Oliver (who by then had been created Lord Grandison) had built upon the said manor one bawn or fort of earth, four square, strengthened with pallizaadoes, and within it a good English-like house, and 20 more English houses all inhabited by English families besides a water-mill upon the river runnning through Balteagh.

The survey of 1622 presents a somewhat different picture. It is difficult to reconcile the “small timber house thatched” and” compassed about with a ditch and a quicksett hedge” with the particulars given by Pynnar and embodied in the above inquisition.(1)

(1) See (15) Manor of Ballymore.

from from “County Armagh In 1622 A Plantation Survey”
Edited byT. G. F. PATERSON, M.A., M.R.I.A. published in Seanchás Ardmhaca