Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentARDRISTIN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1.75 miles (S. W. by W.) from Tullow, on the road to Clonegal ;containing 543 inhabitants.
It comprises 1525 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; and within its limits is a part of the suburbs of the town of Tullow, called the Green and Tullow-beg. Except one townland entirely surrounded by the parish of Aghade, it is bounded on the east and south-east by the river Slaney. More than one-half of its surface consists of meadow and pasture land; the rest, with the exception of a small tract of bog, is arable.
It formerly constituted part of the union of Aghade : the living is now a distinct impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £145. The ruins of the church, situated on the town-land of Ardristin, are divided by a pointed arch and are 63 feet in length.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Tullow.