Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary Ireland comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland.
ContentBALLON, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 1/2 miles (S. E.) from Tullow; containing 1439 inhabitants, of which number, 161 are in the village.
This parish is situated on the road from Newtown-Barry to Carlow (town), and comprises 3520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally grazing land; the state of agriculture is much improved; and in Ballon hill is a quarry of fine granite.
The gentlemen's seats are Larogh, the residence of J. O.Brien, Esq.; and Altamount, of Nelson St. George, Esq.
Fairs are held here on March 28th, and Aug. 12th.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and is part of the union of Aghade (Aghade parish) : the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £220 of which £140 is payable to the impropriator, and £80 to the incumbent.
In the Roman Catholic divisions, this parish forms part of the union or district of Gilbertstown, called also Ballon and Ratoe : the chapel, situated in the village of Ballon, is in good repair.
In the village is also a school for boys and girls, for which the school-house was built by R. Marshall, Esq.; and there is another at Conaberry. These schools afford instruction to about 160 boys and 160 girls; and there are two hedge schools, in which are about 190 boys and 130 girls.